The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 107 of 107

User Info Menu

Re. 'the thumb'... in and of themselves, hands are quite benign:

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

this is getting ridiculous..WEs was in London in the 60s ..he loved fish n chips..he just couldnt handle the money..shillings and pence 4/6 pence..Haddock or Cod...gimme a break

User Info Menu

What's the meaning of the title of 'Four On Six'?

User Info Menu

When WM recorded this it was a simpler, yet politically incorrect era. TV was emerging and I thought the title inferred one of America’s favorite TV past times:

Tag team midget wrestling.

4 against 6 isn't 6/8. It's quarter note triplets. 6 notes against 4 beats. Pairs of swing eighths on 1 and 3 actually implies this pretty strongly.

Aside from duration, a pair of swing 8ths is identical to a pair of quarter note triplets, meaning that if you play them on a snare drum instead of a guitar, they sound the same.

Not saying this is the actual explanation. I don't really care. Just saying...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    6 notes against 4 beats,
    Which is 6 on 4, of course.

'On' presumably means that 4 is the main underlying beat and the 6 is 'on top' of it.

But Wes' tune is called 4 on 6. That's the problem!

It's fingers on strings. Got to be, otherwise anyone who knows music would understand it. Instead it's become like some nutty conspiracy theory with everyone fishing in the wind. Even Ronnie Scott apparently.

User Info Menu

I thought it was common knowledge that the piece was originally called "Forensics" (Wes was a big crime fiction fan) but Orrin Keepnews, producer on The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery session misheard the title mumbled by the guitarist immediately before the take.