The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Could you please document this .. because to be honest I don't believe you. Sure you can mimick pure fingerstyle playing, where the thumb downstrokes and index and middle finger upstrokes, but if pick does any kind of alternate picking, then I don't believe there is no wrist movement.
    Nobody saying that the wrist or the elbow do not absolutely move. Obviously they have to move to a certain extent. But the focus should be to minimize movement to the greatest extent possible and, especially to control the movement of the P and I as they hold the pick.

That is not the same thing as the classical right hand technique but it derives the same sort of fundamental principle of minimizing movement. In classical technique, remove my comes from the big knuckle where the finger connects to the hand, not the little knuckles.

Watch Pasquale Grasso

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hybrid picking is fun and could be an important skill to have. I use it for comping with a band, and used to for rockabilly/Travis picking style in the past. But still do not prefer it for solo guitar.

Instead of trying to imitate piano, why not to try to imitate drums? Percussiveness of tone is more important than voicings. I find with a pick it's more pronounce then. It's all about what you wanna get from music. Do you wanna sound pretty or you want some attitude in your playing...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Hybrid picking is fun and could be an important skill to have. I use it for comping with a band, and used to for rockabilly/Travis picking style in the past. But still do not prefer it for solo guitar.

Instead of trying to imitate piano, why not to try to imitate drums? Percussiveness of tone is more important than voicings. I find with a pick it's more pronounce then. It's all about what you wanna get from music. Do you wanna sound pretty or you want some attitude in your playing...
    Aha! But piano is a percussion instrument.

Listen to Bill Evans on Oleo, for instance.... Evans might not be what you think of as a percussive player - but:

And you got Red, Bud, Monk, Wynton, Hank, Barry, Tommy Flanagan, Timmons etc etc and for you early cats Fats, James P Johnson, Earl freaking Hines etc etc....

I know plenty of guitarists who seek to imitate the piano harmonically, but not many guitarists who have the swing and attack of a great jazz pianist.

That's at least 50% of why piano trios are badass. For me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Aha! But piano is a percussion instrument.

Listen to Bill Evans on Oleo, for instance.... Evans might not be what you think of as a percussive player - but:

And you got Red, Bud, Monk, Wynton, Hank, Barry, Tommy Flanagan, Timmons etc etc and for you early cats Fats, James P Johnson, Earl freaking Hines etc etc....

I know plenty of guitarists who seek to imitate the piano harmonically, but not many guitarists who have the swing and attack of a great jazz pianist.

That's at least 50% of why piano trios are badass. For me.
    Totally. But as you said so yourself, guitarists seek to imitate pianists harmonically, and I'd add texturally. Most end up sounding like a classical recital. It's all good just not my cuppa tea.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Could you please document this .. because to be honest I don't believe you. Sure you can mimick pure fingerstyle playing, where the thumb downstrokes and index and middle finger upstrokes, but if pick does any kind of alternate picking, then I don't believe there is no wrist movement.

As you can see in this video (which is unfortunately rather low volume, sadly), whenever Pasquale is doing single note lines, the back and forth motion of the pick occurs from his index and thumb, with his wrist almost completely stationary unless he's changing strings. In fact, when he is changing strings, he mostly moves from his elbow rather than from his wrist.

This is not to imply that his wrist is 100% stationary - the muscles involved in flexing the index and the thumb like he does to generate his picking motion occur in the forearm, and there's always some bleeding over, but compared to an entirely wrist based approach to picking, the wrist and hand are very steady, which allows him to add in his other three fingers for hybrid picking basically whenever he wants too.

User Info Menu

Great video. I've never really analyzed my picking. As I grew as a player I just fell into economy picking with a benson-like grip style. I never really saw the advantages of alternate picking so I didn't realize it was thought of as the default. Some interesting things for me to think about from this video.

User Info Menu

Interesting to watch the technique of the marvellous Ed Bickert (whom I recognised on video among members of the audience at a powerful 'jazz' performance by the great Sonny Greenwich):

User Info Menu

Without giving it much thought I've evolved to playing mostly with my fingers. My nails have become brittle as I've aged so I clip them as short as possible and play with the flesh of my fingers. As it turns out, a tele played with flesh is a wonderful tone, imo. I still hybrid pick occasionally but it doesn't blend as well with the fingers as the flesh of the thumb does. I was pointed in this direction by listening to fellow forum member, Tim Lerch, who has one of my all time favorite tones.