Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread

30 Days practicing sweep picking

Hey folks I have just made this video about 30 days playing a sequence of sweep picking and tapping and practicing only ten minutes per day.I decided to do this video to show you how it’s possible to improve by practicing only 10 minutes per day and also to encourage you to try this. The truth is that I’m currently very happy with my progress, I didn’t expect this!In fact, I need to tell you that I already knew how to play sweep picking before doing this exercise, I simply wanted to improve it. For this reason I decided to start with a long chord progression and use tapping finger. If you are just starting with sweep picking, I would recommend you to begin with something more simple like a sweep picking with only three strings, just one chord and played at 100 bpm for example.To finish, I wanted to say that the are some ways to practice sweep picking, this is only one.Thank you for your visit, I hope you enjoy it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b71RBun7-Y

interesting. I think there are many factors regarding how much time you need to spend and how that manifests in your actual playing. There'a also a more important consideration of how the material you are practicing actually shows up in your improvisation in real-time in a natural and fluid way.

Having just finished an intensive period of 4 months worth of practicing and writing a book on legato guitar I can tell you that at least at my age, I need way more than 10 minutes a day to improve. While I was writing the book, I probably spent 3-4 months of 3-4 hours a day practicing legato guitar. At the end of that period, I got pretty good at playing various exercises but there was virtually no integration into my everyday improvisation. Now that my book is out, I have gone back to a more normal practice regime though I specifically include time to integrate the material into my improvisation. i have found that it takes 6 months or longer to do this and way more than 10 minutes a day.

Of course, it again depends on many factors such as age, talent, etc. When I was teaching my 15 year old son jazz guitar, i was completely amazed at how much he could absorb in a very small amount of time. Now that he's 28, he tells me that it's a lot harder for him to learn new techniques.

I take much longer to learn and integrate new things and I think it's partly age. The older you get, the more set in stone your concepts are in all areas of life, much less new musical techniques.

Thanks for your contribution! Highly interesting.

I thought that was true, but it turns out that there is almost literally no limit to improvement, barring actual physical problems. While the young have a decided advantage in being instantly moldable, the brain doesn't stop learning, and the brain controls everything, so practicing is more about etching the brain than developing muscles, although that is certainly a big part.

In dealing with focal dystonia, I learned a lot about how the brain learns, so I have been hard at work rebuilding my approach and finding the techniques that were not destroyed by my neurological condition. There are many studies, especially in sports medicine, about ways of learning, and 10 minutes a day of a specific thing done thoughtfully and attentively can bring about surprising improvement, although the application is still the problem, but that's the journey to free creativity. Christopher Berg is a genius classical guitar pedagogue whose approach starts and finishes in the brain. He posits that we can learn until we can no longer play. In any event, most of the really good legato players spent years getting there and are most likely as dissatisfied as any of us; that seems to be the game: there is no mastery, only the pursuit of mastery.

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed