Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    To Henry and others,

I would like to offer a simple but sincere apology. I do not stand by my recent behaviour or the insult it has caused. We all inhabit the same ark, and I am sorry for the lack of wisdom that I have shown here

Peace be with you,
    JM

Quote Originally Posted by matelski View Post
    To Henry and others,

I would like to offer a simple but sincere apology. I do not stand by my recent behaviour or the insult it has caused. We all inhabit the same ark, and I am sorry for the lack of wisdom that I have shown here

Peace be with you,
    JM
    Apology accepted. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To Henry and others,

Peace be with you,
    JM
    "Each heart vibrates to that iron string."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
    (who obviously played in Carl Kress tuning)

To Henry and others,

Peace be with you,
    JM
    Nice one! :-)

i don't get the reference.. am i 'the dude' ???? i've had some people tell me before, emphatically, that i should watch 'the big lebowski' but i've never quite gotten around to it
    There's The Dude that 'is', then there's The Dude who abides. I think that's the Meta-dude. And I don't think he'd seek to humiliate, either.
    "Each heart vibrates to that iron string."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
    (who obviously played in Carl Kress tuning)

Henry you are one cool dude and I dig your playing. Through the copper of the internet you come across as a lovely guy.

“When you’re creating your own ...., man, even the sky ain’t the limit.”
    Miles Davis

Thank you.

What fantastic playing, Mr. Robinett. This level of velocity is something we all can aspire to. Just beautiful.

I wish to suggest, however, that those who, like me, cannot play notes this quickly should not give in to despair. Despite our lack of speed, we too can make meaningful and intelligent improvised music, worth hearing, and enjoyable to others.

I was consumed with negativity about my lack of bebop speed for way too many years, before I realized that I had other musical attributes to offer.

Just to be clear, i have not posted on this thread prior to this posting. Please leave me out of these types of discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker View Post
    Just to be clear, i have not posted on this thread prior to this posting. Please leave me out of these types of discussions.
    But I thought you liked these types of discussions.

With 52,303 members it seems more that a person isn't left out of a discussion but chooses not to join it. If I choose to not participate in a Joe Blow vs. Kokomo thread that's my choice. The forum doesn't willfully need to exclude me.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcee View Post
    With 52,303 members it seems more that a person isn't left out of a discussion but chooses not to join it. If I choose to not participate in a Joe Blow vs. Kokomo thread that's my choice. The forum doesn't willfully need to exclude me.
    I was accused of being a contributor to this thread under a fake name. that's what I was replying to.

Oh. OK. I get it. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet View Post
    But I thought you liked these types of discussions.

I posted this in the showcase section, but I realized it belongs in this thread. Updated version of Cherokee. Explanation. I'm trying to use dynamics and be relaxed. It's hard to relax and play music at this tempo. It's a little fast to use the kind of articulation and phrasing I've been working on. A lot of folks are annoyed that the technique is "rough" or inconsistent. Yeah, well you try playing that fast. But actually, I'm trying to use dynamics. Playing soft gives me room. I don't expect to hear every single note. Sometimes you hear a sax player rip. No notes are distinguishable. That's not the point. That's right. But today guitar players are used to this mechanical thing. All alternate or economical, or legato. This is too fast. I'm using more alternate strokes than I would like. So I have a certain amount of pick control with dynamics, since I'm picking most of the notes. I'd like to use more legato, but it's not coming out that way. I can't think this fast, so I just play. Whatever comes out is right, or wrong. It is what it is. Improv.

But I like the note choices and overall phraseology. I lose it a little about 3:00. That's proof it's a live performance. It is what it is. If you want perfection, do it yourself. LOL! I hear more horn player when I listen. That's what I hear when I play. I don't have a guitar player in my mind I mimic. I don't know. I think that annoys people. They want to hear what they know already. Martino, Metheny, Sco, Pass. Whomever. I'm not terrifically original at all. But I don't hear a lot of those guys in my playing. But I'm certainly not as good as ANY of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtfree View Post
    What fantastic playing, Mr. Robinett. This level of velocity is something we all can aspire to. Just beautiful.

I wish to suggest, however, that those who, like me, cannot play notes this quickly should not give in to despair. Despite our lack of speed, we too can make meaningful and intelligent improvised music, worth hearing, and enjoyable to others.

I was consumed with negativity about my lack of bebop speed for way too many years, before I realized that I had other musical attributes to offer.
    I haven't revisited this thread till now. I wish we could all listen and remove ourselves from it. THANK YOU BTW! I suffer from this too. It gets me in trouble. Listening to Joe Blow playing, I tend to place myself there and judge ME against him. But what also happens is I tend to criticize Joe Blow for doing what he does. I've seen this so much. Who needs to play THAT FAST! Or he uses too many XYZ. As if his very existence invalidates ones own. It DOESN'T. Each of us plays our own of sense of beauty from where we are. We have our plan, or vision, and we put them to good use.

If I'm always judging someone by some personal scale, I'll never be able to HEAR anyone.

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed