The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34
    Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Back to the original question... however flamenco players pick is probably the most efficient way to do it. They are faster and cleaner than all but a few pick players. A few years back Jack Zucker posted some links to videos by someone he knew, a guitarist with a French sounding name, who played electric guitar in the classical fingering style- superbly fluid and efficient. I think that it is likely that the most efficient way to pick is to not use a pick. Of course, I still use one because the tone is right, compared to fingers on steel strings. But I really love playing finger style on nylon strings; having all those fingers available canes how I think musically in a way that my hybrid pick-and-fingers approach doesn't.
    I believe you're referring to Sylvain Courtney, who occasionally posts here. His picking is incredibly good.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sound isn't too clear but here we see some of Chico's nice Chops..
    Now after just hearing this I realize he is mostly Alternate Picking...regardless of Directional ( Economy ) or not . If you can play this way with speed and Rhythm you would know that's the only way to do it- regardless of how you cross strings.
    Remember that those other ways to avoid or replace Skipping Strings do not replace strong fundamental technique- even Benson is mostly alternating despite reverse Grip on pick and slicing thru strings .

.Classical / Flamencists are Alternating fingers I and M with rest strokes or rarely- nails and free strokes -at higher speeds regardless of how they cross strings ( they Skip ).

Also you will notice slight flexing of Chico's thumb sometimes as he crosses the strings - this is usually just to get more 'glide' crossing strings but never sitting next to him I can't be sure..there are ways to Ghost notes even picking them, changing angle and depth...but a thumb flex usually is to prevent unwanted DiMeola type staccato attack- to get more 'glide' on strings but still be articulate , but smoother, but there are other ways than thumb flex .

Also to the OP - thumb flex can also indicate subtle circle picking but the term is not always accurate-It is STILL alternate picking but the pick instead of being directly moved across the strings moves in a slight circle hitting a slightly different spot on upstroke versus downstroke- however it almost always does this SLIGHTLY depending on the Human and hands and wrists and pick grip and size etc .

So Circle Picking is slightly larger than near direct vibratory motion ...exaggerrated circles and shallow pick depth can result in Ghost notes at speed like Sax Players do...but can also be done with angles and shallow depth- I do this a lot..Sorry you asked right? Or he's gone lol.

Also seems like a lot of people think Alternate Picking has to be staccato and harsh but it really depends on the Player -angles and pick depth it can be very smooth.
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 07-10-2017 at 12:13 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun
    I believe you're referring to Sylvain Courtney, who occasionally posts here. His picking is incredibly good.
    Shadow you got it in one.

User Info Menu

Regardless of picking speed and notes per second there was some really beautiful and creative harmony in there.

User Info Menu

Thanks for mentioning this guy. I checked him out on YouTube and he sounds great. I am in awe of his fingerstyle technique.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Robertkoa
    -----
    RK I wasn't suggesting anything, I like working on technique/chops stuff. Was just commenting that the clip had beautiful harmony. Didn't mean to spin you out.

User Info Menu

Very nice!

User Info Menu

I've been staring at this question lately, mainly from the angle "Most efficient way of picking - for me?" And I think there is no other way to approach this. There is as many paths to getting "there" ie. be proficient technically, as there is people. But it's still more about WHAT than HOW in my opinion..

Think about it via the examples - Allan Holdsworth got there by legato, Al Di Meola picks everything, Frank Gambale "sweeps" everything and Joscho Stephan stretches the limits of rest stroke technique. Tommy Emmanuel is still taking the Chet Atkins / Merle Travis continuum to the limits. Brian Setzer and Reverend Horton Heat do a similar thing, but in a more "rock" hybrid style. And they all do other things, but these are the main techniques they are famous for.

Just my 2c - all while trying to figure out how to isolate my pick playing from my middle/ring fingers while doing a hybrid style. Frustrating, but fun.

User Info Menu

Think about it via the examples - Allan Holdsworth got there by legato, Al Di Meola picks everything, Frank Gambale "sweeps" everything and Joscho Stephan stretches the limits of rest stroke technique. Tommy Emmanuel is still taking the Chet Atkins / Merle Travis continuum to the limits. Brian Setzer and Reverend Horton Heat do a similar thing, but in a more "rock" hybrid style. And they all do other things, but these are the main techniques they are famous for. >>

It may be worth reflecting on some of the greatest players ever, and how they picked.

Charlie Christian -- all downstrokes.

Wes -- thumb. arguably, the best tone ever, but who plays that way?

Pat Metheny -- thin pick, held curled and uses a lot of slurs and hamers.

Barney Kessel -- actually, I don't know much about his picking technique, but when I heard him live he was sweeping held chords and sounds, sorry, a little sloppy.

Warren Nunes -- Not well known like the aforementioned, but a picking demon. Made his own picks by heating blanks and curling them to match the shape of his thumb. He was alternate and pull-offs. He picked with the very shallow curve of the pick -- so shallow it was almost a straight side. Never saw anything remotely like it.

George Benson -- I've read that he slants it the opposite way from most people.

Anyway, the point is, a lot of great players have done it very differently. I think that each one of these great players went his own way -- and that contributed to a unique sound.