The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 29 of 29

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TKO
    Just to make sure, can you verifiably trace this pain solely to the guitar practice?

No heavy gardening/wood work with an axe or a shovel? Serious weight lifting? Martial arts? Anything else?

I've noticed that all above can stiff up your arm and wrist muscles, even without any obvious pain/soreness which will pop up while playing.
    This has been the bane of my existence. Sometimes my house projects cause my hands to swell up and be uncomfortable. Pounding with hammers, lifting materials, wrenching, screwing, painting, etc. take a heavy toll on my playing. I sometimes have to sit it out until my hands get back to normal.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I put this up a while back

Ulnar Nerve damage, occupational hazard for guitar players!

Read through, lots of useful information and something to watch out for.

Follow up for me is that I found that I was sleeping with my arms folded around my head while I sleep on my front.
    I would wake up with pins and needles in my left hand.

Also my muscle tone to my left arm is considerably less and I have trouble lifting bags of groceries.

I have neck damage where my spinal cord is pinched in the neck and the weakness comes from that!

So what does that mean for my guitar playing? Well all my gits are set up with super low action which requires no effort.
    Playing long rehearsals sees me massaging my elbow but playing live I'm so full of adrenalin I don't feel discomfort.

So take a gander at the thread and see if it helps.

User Info Menu

My entire left forearm and wrist is inflamed right now from loads of practice over the holidays. I’m not sure if it’s a result of the amount of practice, or playing a different guitar. My archtop is in the shop right, so I’ve been playing a tele with what I consider a thin neck. I know the position of the fretboard will be a bit different on the tele, but also thinking the slimmer neck hasn’t been good for me.

Anyway, I’ve had to abandon the tele and just rest up til my main guitar comes back..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbow
    I put this up a while back

Ulnar Nerve damage, occupational hazard for guitar players!

Read through, lots of useful information and something to watch out for.

Follow up for me is that I found that I was sleeping with my arms folded around my head while I sleep on my front.
    I would wake up with pins and needles in my left hand.

Also my muscle tone to my left arm is considerably less and I have trouble lifting bags of groceries.

I have neck damage where my spinal cord is pinched in the neck and the weakness comes from that!

So what does that mean for my guitar playing? Well all my gits are set up with super low action which requires no effort.
    Playing long rehearsals sees me massaging my elbow but playing live I'm so full of adrenalin I don't feel discomfort.

So take a gander at the thread and see if it helps.
    I've had surgery on my left elbow and wrist to free up the ulnar nerve. I couldn't even feel my pinky and ring finger anymore other than a painful tingling when I had the surgery.

Now I play again but since I don't know when I'll need to rest it I don't play with others, just on my own and concentrate more on harmonic/timing interest than speed. I'd rather play slow and relaxed then not at all.

After the surgery I took 3 years off of playing to recover some feeling and when I started playing again I concentrated in how I hold the guitar and set up both my instruments with very low action.