The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 65 of 65
    destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobalou
    I don't think it matters thin or thick.
    I believe you're right. I'm beginning to get a sense of why this is true. I think a lot comes down to confidence grounded in factual knowledge. I feel like there's so much to learn, and so little time.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    No, it was sarcasm based on the amount of obsessive technique based posts we've seen here in the last year, as opposed to people actually talking about learning jazz.

Remember, I am a teacher. I certainly don't believe you have to have big selling records out or that only the best players make good teachers.
    That's not how it came across - it came across as sarcasm but the point was lost for me.

But yours is a good point and I agree with it. Technique is a good thing to learn but speed is boring if it comes without rhythm and phrasing and all that good stuff. Some players play fast, others slow, and that's the way I like it.

That said, his findings are pretty helpful for understanding the things I have learned to naturally so I can teach them, and also to refine the consistency of my own playing. As I teach Gypsy jazz picking, it's really good to have strong 'dos and don'ts.' TG's stuff is relevant for that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Sorry...

Just seems this forum gas become the "how do i shred" forum over the last year...yet nobody asks "what can i play with my speed that will be interesting over _______€ changes..."
    I thought this previous post explained it.

User Info Menu

With heavier string gauges, 13s, I have preferences to play with a thinner pick. Made the string transition from 12s to 13s, and the results are positive. I even raised my action quite a bit, to avoid string buzz. With thinner pick there is not so much strain in hand, even if using heavy gauge strings, and you can pick quite agressively without being floppy. Fender heavy in a standard shape does the job well for me nowadays. Used to play with D'andrea standard pro plec in a standard shape, or JD207 or JD206, but with lighter strings, it worked better for me, with heavier strings, not so. I can understand that Benson's way of thinking. Well, when it comes to small picks that have lighter feel, well, I don't find them very practical for strumming situations, but for lead lines, yes.

User Info Menu

For me, it's heavy strings with big pick that works best for faster playing. Lightest set I use is the 11s on my Telecaster, other guitars have 12s or 13s. For the last 4/5 year I've been using Wegen Fatone 5mm thick picks. Recently I've swaped to Dunlop 3mm "Prime Tone" picks and the Wegen 3.5 mm 'Gypsy jazz' pick.

The 5mm caused too much clickyness on the strings, particularly if using the bridge pickup on an electric guitar. The 3.5/3.0mm picks I am using now are more quiet, tone seems to be just as good as before, plus the effect of picking in different areas of the guitar is more pronounced too.

User Info Menu

Wow thread resurrection!

I've moved successively from fat picks (3mm+) to thinner but still heavy picks (1.5mm) but for me there is a lower limit where accuracy becomes difficult, probably about .75mm- with traditional grip.

However, there is a trade off between how much you angle the pick into the string on the stroke and how thick a pick you need. Benson uses a very big pick angle compared to more traditional pickers, and can play with a Fender Medium without fear of the thin (.73mm) pick moving around too much.

My picking angle has increased... The Wegen's etc create a pick angle for you, with that bevel.

To me things like this:

Attachment 22598

Fundamentally misunderstand the mechanics of picking. I dislike Jazz III's for similar reasons.... Trad sized picks are not a problem, and speed isn't about how much pick you put into the string.

User Info Menu

Heavy or fingers - can't get anything good out of a thin pick.
    Just my 2 cents.

User Info Menu

Peter Farrel uses a .73 Nylon pick. He burns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Philco
    Isn't GB's famous fender medium the same sort of gauge?

I've probably but it up here somewhere but heavy jazz 3's, big stubby and Wegen type picks are - IMHO - designed to create the effect of a pick angle - that is the pick not hitting the strings flat on - with players you pick with pick flat to the axis of the strings. Hence the bevels, rounded edges etc.

If you already create a pick angle by Benson picking, inclining your pick hand, or by flexing the pick like Metheny, you don't need a heavy pick.

User Info Menu

I think in order to use the Stylus pick accurately, you would have to develop what Troy Grady calls 'cross picking' chops. Not a bad thing of itself.... But not the way everyone does it. Accurate string skipping is not necessarily a function of how much pick you have in contact with the strings...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Philco
    And Robert Conti uses a .38 Dunlop. It's thinner than an index card! He also uses thin strings and low action.

Jimmy Bruno recently said that if the strings are thick, the pick should be too, and if the strings are thin, the pick should be too. Not etched in stone but a rule of thumb to start with.

And as Christian said above, if the pick is angled enough then a thin pick (say, a Fender Medium) becomes thick in relation to the string. (That is, if you're playing with the edge of a Medium pick, there's very little, if any, 'give.')

User Info Menu

I use Wegen 1.0 for guitar, I learned from mandolin picking, a light grip is the key to playing fast and tendonitis is never an issue. I had a Mandolin Mentor tell me "it's not trying to get a way from you, why are you squeezing so hard?"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie
    I use Wegen 1.0 for guitar, I learned from mandolin picking, a light grip is the key to playing fast and tendonitis is never an issue. I had a Mandolin Mentor tell me "it's not trying to get a way from you, why are you squeezing so hard?"
    I used the JD Ultex Jazz III 2.0 working on right hand speed because it does not bend and comes with a pointy tip that does not wear off, but in the end - increased right hand speed came from relaxing my mind, arm and grip.

User Info Menu

Use whatever feels best...or whatever just happens to be in your pocket and worry about other things...:-)

But I get it...hard to not wonder if there is a "magic pick" out there....trust me I have more "spendy" mandolin picks than I care to admit...

Conti and Metheny both use uber light picks...likely the rounded corners....good for them!

I think Conti is such an incredible player, great lines and great technique but his tone on all his videos is tinny and "thin" sounding....not his playing nor his note choices, he's truly a master....but sounds like he plugs his guitar right into the recording source...no "mojo" in the tone dept (sorry brother Bob!) you are amazing though and a true inspiration! :-)

I guess I just dig the tone that say a Pat Martino gets when he digs in more...

To me its all a compromise 11's on some guitars 12's on others 10's on strat/teles...picks vary from 1.0 to much thicker...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie
    That's a great line. I'll remember that. I think your teacher was right that the pick is not trying to get away, but in my case, it WAS trying to turn around in my hand. ;o)

I never dropped picks but I had a devil of a time keeping them in any chosen position.

I finally went to a Crossover pick, which involves a strap around the thumb, so my pick doesn't move AND there's no temptation to squeeze b/c the index isn't helping to hold the pick...