The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 91 of 91

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan
    As far as I can tell, from what I can read in attached print screen, this is about strumming chords.
    There's some stuff regarding 'arpeggio picking' later.

If you are doing it right, there should be no difference biomechanically between strumming and single line technique on acoustic guitar. That's what the rest strokes are for :-)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That Pete Kelly's Blues, great find!

Troy just uploaded a new video detailing what string hopping is, and it makes quite a lot of sense.

User Info Menu

That unwanted bounce and playing with too much of the pick digging in really messed with my flow and ability to play swung eighths convincingly (pick got caught). I am slowly removing any major elbow movements from my right hand. I have noticed that restricting movement to the forearm rotation removes the bounce. Now I am investigating how to integrate rest stroke into all of it. When Troy gets some bluegrass and gypsy guys and gals on the project, I think I'll subscribe to his actual monthly course... I am tempted.

Just got an email about how he's uploaded the Albert Lee analysis. He's said that next month, when he uploads something, it'll be bluegrass based, which is really exciting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun
    Just got an email about how he's uploaded the Albert Lee analysis. He's said that next month, when he uploads something, it'll be bluegrass based, which is really exciting.
    Looking forward to that!

This is the video he's uploaded for non-subscribers based on the Albert Lee interview. It's very worth looking at, although you have to be conversant with a lot of his pre-existing concepts (downward pickslanting, etc.)

destinytot Guest
    This is the video he's uploaded for non-subscribers based on the Albert Lee interview. It's very worth looking at, although you have to be conversant with a lot of his pre-existing concepts (downward pickslanting, etc.)
    Thanks!

User Info Menu

Great stuff! I tend to upward pickslanting as my main "grip", and that I use a side-to-side wrist motion at lower speeds and switch to playing from the elbow/forearm when I get faster.

Troy just did some uploads specifically for subscribers, and he talks about how Albert Lee has probably never played anything that isn't an actual musical example or useful in a musical context- he pointed out that Albert learned to play mostly by copping licks and the like, and that that's what makes him such an excellent musician.

Not quite so often that we find a technique orientated video saying "if you want to be able to play music, play music."

User Info Menu

Troy just did some uploads specifically for subscribers, and he talks about how Albert Lee has probably never played anything that isn't an actual musical example or useful in a musical context- he pointed out that Albert learned to play mostly by copping licks and the like, and that that's what makes him such an excellent musician.

Not quite so often that we find a technique orientated video saying "if you want to be able to play music, play music."
    Sounds like Robert Conti's approach: "you learn jazz by playing jazz."
    Albert's a monster player.

Troy's latest Albert Lee video. Shows that he's actually a pretty decent pianist, as well!

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    If you are doing it right, there should be no difference biomechanically between strumming and single line technique on acoustic guitar. That's what the rest strokes are for :-)
    Very encouraging to read.

User Info Menu

Troy Grady work is awesome and I think is great to know more and more about picking, but once you have a technique that works, I don't think is a good idea to rethink your picking technique every two days.
    Look at George Benson, his technique is very similar to gipsy players, of course this has its limitations, but the rules of this picking are very easy, and that is strength, something effective and easy.

User Info Menu

All my teachers have told me, if it hurts you, stop doing it that way. If you can pick as fast as you want to in as a relaxed fashion as possible, then stick with that technique. If, however, you find yourself in pain, especially as a guitarist who has spent years on the instrument, you gotta reassess your technique to save your ability to play in the future. Even at really bright tempos, you should be relaxed. Physical tension will not only hurt your musical pocket (your time feel), it will hurt your monetary pocket if you ignore it (paying for therapy and creams later on to deal with tendinitis and the such).

This month is about Carl Miner, a winner of the National Flatpicking Championship! He's uploaded the interview, and some stuff from the 2007 Championships.

It's cool to see some bluegrass stuff.