The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 60 of 60
    By the sounds of it you need a buffer! I get the main shape with normal nail file, but then use a six-way buffer to smooth out the nail until it feels like glass. I use the six way buffer every day, sometimes a couple of times a day if I'm playing a lot. A normal nail file won't get rid of the tiny little nicks and cuts that can rapidly develop into problems.

Also take into account that I play nylon strung instruments pretty much exclusively. If I was playing steel strings I imagine that I would be filing a lot more than I do already, not just to avoid splits but for tone and technique reasons too. I think that getting into a routine of smoothing them out whenever you can is more important than supplements and all that other stuff. I used nail hardener for a short while when I started out using nails, but I didn't like the way it felt, and I don't think it actually hardened anything, it just added a shiny crust to my nails.

Nail care/shape is a more complicated topic than it might seem to be at first, but I've found that it's well worth investigating carefully because it has big effects on tone and technique. Okay...I think I'm done for now!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I gave up on nails for playing. I'd get them to the perfect length and shape and then damage them doing something. I now use flesh on steel strings. Not as accurate but not the hassle.

User Info Menu

Ya, I use my thumb for almost all my single line stuff. Occasionally ill use my index finger and alternate with the thumb. I need my finger nails for chords. I don't like strumming everything with my thumb.

I did use a pick this weekend after watching a couple Jimmy Bruno videos.

User Info Menu

Whenever the talk turns to finger nails, I think of this old Joe Ely song. Off-topic, but short and energetic, so I hope you don't mind....

User Info Menu

I've played steel-string acoustic for a long time with my nails kept as classical players do. Not long... Just enough so that a combination of flesh and nail strikes the string and produces a clear tone.

It's about the shaping and beveling, not the length; my right-hand nails are hardly longer than my lefts....

You need a good diamond file or very, very fine sandpaper on a small block. Slightly beveled from underneath.

Lately, I've switched to electric (an Ibanez semi-hollow) and flatwound strings... which are seeming to be very easy on the nails.

User Info Menu

I think Martin Taylor uses some kind of gel. It's applied like nail polish and then hardened under UV - and built up in layers.

User Info Menu

I switched over to all fingers about 9 months ago and while I'm pretty pleased with my progress, I prefer the sound of nail and finger versus just finger. I unfortunately was not gifted with thick nails and in fact some of my nails break at the least amount of effort. I'm in my mid 60's and my nails are not getting any stronger. I also work on my vehicles and farm equipment so it was a rare moment when nails ever got to the length where I could actually hear the contact on the string.

After trying a number of different thing, I switched to gel nails specifically this:Amazon.com: Gelish Basix Kit: Health & Personal Care

Since I only coat the the thumb, index middle and ring finger of my right hand this small kit will last through many coatings. I don't find I have to use multiple coatings. Just the basic foundation and clear top coat. I bought an UV dryer as well. I find that if you avoid contact on the skin near the nail, I'll get two+ weeks out of a single application. If you extend the coat onto the skin, when it dry or the nail grows, the coating will lift up at that spot. The most time is spent removing the old coating but the actual time to do the nails is about 10 mins total. I'm pretty pleased with the results. I rough them up a bit after finishing as it takes the shine off and makes them more natural looking.

My right thumb nail tends to split well back from the end of the nail and it that happens, I use superglue and tissue paper as reinforcement.

User Info Menu

If you do a lot of work with your hands but use nails to play guitar, suggest you get some mechanics gloves off Amazon. They can be had for under $20 and will help you avoid banging or grinding your nails. I have a pair that I use for cycling, yard work, car work, etc.

Mechanics gloves are designed to fit tightly so you still have some dexterity and feeling your fingers.

User Info Menu

This is from Martin Taylor's Facebook page a few weeks ago:

"Gleneagles Nail Bar - My monthly visit to my nail technician Arlene at the Gleneagles Hotel. Like a lot of fingerstyle guitarists I use gel on the nails on my right hand. It protects the nails from wear from steel strings and gives a bigger and stronger sound. I use Biosculpture Gel, it doesn't damage the nails like acrylics. That's my "Taylor's Top Tip of the Day" folks!"

Finger Nails-martin-taylor-jpg

User Info Menu

For the first time in over 20 years, I filed my nails way down from my usual classical guitar nails. They weren't real long; a little less than an eighth inch past my finger tips.

I really like the mellow sound I get with my thumb so I want to try to replicate that with my fingers. Thus far, I am getting a pretty good sound, but not quite as good as my thumb. I also am having a hard time getting used to the feel. I am going to try to stick with it for a month and see if it starts to feel more natural and if I can get a better sound. If not, I can always revert.