• Position 4

26 22.03%
  • Position 5 (dull options, I know...)

12 10.17%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 86 of 86

User Info Menu

I would never put a strap button screw into the neck itself for risk of it causing a split over time.

Also,#3 is best for an ES 175 to keep it from tilting forward when standing.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mikeSF
    I would never put a strap button screw into the neck itself for risk of it causing a split over time.

Also,#3 is best for an ES 175 to keep it from tilting forward when standing.
    I would never put a screw in a guitar without predrilling.

User Info Menu

I have mine in number 1 position. I am thinking of buying another 175, one of these 1959 reissue, which is used in mint conditions. If I do, I think I won't put a strap button on it and I'll try the headstock solution, which is common in acoustic guitars.

User Info Menu

Position 1 is where Gibson would have put it if, it had one from the factory. My es 275 has one there.

Gibson ES-175 - Strap Button Poll-neck-pu-jpg

This is not factory on the es 275. It was there when I got it. I have since replaced with a Gibson button. This location does help pin the neck tenon to the pocket.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nick71
    I am a number 3 kind of guy. Just make sure there is a block of wood built-in for support..
    so am I ….
    I put in a block of mahogany
    (for good tone !)

#3 the Les Paul position

User Info Menu

Funny to see this thread pop back up again. I literally just had a strap peg installed one my 175 two days ago I went with position number 2. Works well, doesn't get in my way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitpicker View Post
    Funny to see this thread pop back up again. I literally just had a strap peg installed one my 175 two days ago I went with position number 2. Works well, doesn't get in my way.
    Position 2 remains my preference. Not only doesn't it get in my way, but I find that a 175 balances very well with a strap pin in that position.

User Info Menu

Gibson ES-175 - Strap Button Poll-2023081611590000-jpg Gibson ES-175 - Strap Button Poll-2023081612000000-jpgGibson ES-175 - Strap Button Poll-2023081611580000-jpg
    #3 is Best Position.

Point is with a
    felt washer

To stop the strap button screw vibrating loose

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kawa View Post
    #3 is Best Position.
    that spot prevent the guitar from tilting forward. good choice.

User Info Menu

Thanks mikeSF.

An example scene.

When I was big band frequently use both hand for score sortig.
    Last edited by kawa; 08-21-2023 at 07:24 PM.

User Info Menu

As I voted years ago I am a true believer of position 4.

At last I had time to draw a highly artistic and very scientific picture why I am suspicious about the positions 1 & 2:

Gibson ES-175 - Strap Button Poll-hihnanuppikitara-jpg

(I am sorry that I don't know all the physical terms in english but I try

When the guitar with a strap button in position 1/2 is in the case there will be pressure "downwards" to the guitar via body and the neck. Then the strap button inn the middle of the guitar is the base point. And because the base point is pointy the "downward" pressure is trying to bend the guitar.

I know that the pressure might not be big, the strap button is not very high, maybe 1 cm. But who of us is willing to address any bending force to our instruments?

And besides: after years the button will spoil the padding of the case underneath it.

But the position 4 does not have any disadvantages! At least I my left thumb has never touched the buttons in the position 4 thru the years.