The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 37 of 37

User Info Menu

Jack, I think you have hit the nail on the head when you point out the midrange driver is doing the heavy lifting.
    Have you tried the Eminence Deltalite II? I would think one of these in a pine closed back cab with a class D power amp would be a good combo.
    Speaker Detail | Eminence Speaker

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    I saw that. Power is not the issue. I am not close to maxing out the available power on my TS210a. It's not clear what the real differences are on this (if any ) from the altos...

Perhaps a bigger speaker and power amp? At any rate, more significant difference would be the abiltity to change the crossover point and or turn off the tweeter like you can on the Atomic and Xitone...
    Fair enough - on doing some further research myself, it does appear that the new Headrush unit has different speaker units fitted.

Headrush FRFR:
    LF Driver - 12" with 3 inch voicecoil
    HF Driver - 1.4" voicecoil

Alto TS212:
    LF Driver - 12" with 2.5 inch voicecoil
    HF Driver - 1" voicecoil

And I take your point re power not being the issue, but just for completeness, quoted power specs for the Headrush are 1000W continuous (650LF + 350HF) compared to 550W continuous (350LF + 200HF) for the Alto.

HeadRush FRFR-112
    https://www.altoproaudio.com/downloa...Spec-Sheet.pdf

Do hope you find something to suit what you need anyhow, cheers.

User Info Menu

Jack, would you say a single Alto TS 210 would be suitable for home practice with a modeler? I recently picked up S-Gear, and like it quite a bit, but my studio monitors don’t quite give me the feel that I’m looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by DRS
    Jack, I think you have hit the nail on the head when you point out the midrange driver is doing the heavy lifting.
    Have you tried the Eminence Deltalite II? I would think one of these in a pine closed back cab with a class D power amp would be a good combo.
    Speaker Detail | Eminence Speaker
    I have not tried that. I played through the I version and didn't care for it. Every neo speaker I have played that was not in a FR cabinet sounded nasally to me and some of the FR cabinets sounded nasally to me as well when they were made for instruments such as bass. I think many cab makers don't know how to design with the way those speakers react and if you just put them in an enclosure designed around a ferrite mag, they don't necessarily work right. But in that particular speaker's case, it probably is going to be dark sounding without a high freq horn or tweeter and in my "loud jazz" band, we do a lot of different styles including me doing some synthy stuff and acoustic guitar, so I need some extended range.

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Jack, would you say a single Alto TS 210 would be suitable for home practice with a modeler? I recently picked up S-Gear, and like it quite a bit, but my studio monitors don’t quite give me the feel that I’m looking for.
    Yes, I could have done this loud gig with just one of them. I wasn't even 1/4 of the way up. It's a great powered cab and very well suited for guitar IMO.

It does seem intriguing but I think if I were to spend the extra money, I'd probably just get the QSC K12 instead. I'm not really sure what the bigger voice coil and slightly more power would give me if there is no provision for adjusting the crossover and even then, I'd want to know the full speaker specs. I feel like they are being deliberately vague with the speaker info because they don't want you to know they are charging $200 more for $50 in parts!

Quote Originally Posted by Meggy
    Fair enough - on doing some further research myself, it does appear that the new Headrush unit has different speaker units fitted.

Headrush FRFR:
    LF Driver - 12" with 3 inch voicecoil
    HF Driver - 1.4" voicecoil

Alto TS212:
    LF Driver - 12" with 2.5 inch voicecoil
    HF Driver - 1" voicecoil

And I take your point re power not being the issue, but just for completeness, quoted power specs for the Headrush are 1000W continuous (650LF + 350HF) compared to 550W continuous (350LF + 200HF) for the Alto.

HeadRush FRFR-112
    https://www.altoproaudio.com/downloa...Spec-Sheet.pdf

Do hope you find something to suit what you need anyhow, cheers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    It does seem intriguing but I think if I were to spend the extra money, I'd probably just get the QSC K12 instead. I'm not really sure what the bigger voice coil and slightly more power would give me if there is no provision for adjusting the crossover and even then, I'd want to know the full speaker specs. I feel like they are being deliberately vague with the speaker info because they don't want you to know they are charging $200 more for $50 in parts!
    For what it's worth, I'm now a bit dubious about it myself, and you're right about the deliberate vagueness - there is speculation on the FB page that the built in amp is the same one as the TS212, and the power rating is manipulated i.e. 1000W into 4 ohms = 500W into 8 ohms, pretty much... - notice they don't mention ohms for the speakers in the specs. Also I think power ratings are subject to exaggeration, obviously because it has an effect on sales - manufacturers will stretch them as far as they can get away with. Also the peak db output figures quoted aren't so different anyhow - 131 for the Headrush, 127 for the Alto.

It does seem like the drivers in the Headrush are modified in spec., but in practice, would there be a big enough appreciable difference between the two? And given the Alto costs less... For myself, having thought about it, my plan is to get a second TS210 for situations where I can practically use stereo, plus I'm sure with the two of those, I'd have more output on tap than I'd ever need.

I just received a prototype XiTone Cabs that weighs less than 30lbs and sounds !@#$ amazing. It completely blows away the alto cabs I was using before. Can't wait to get a pair of these!
    I can't divulge any of the details of construction at this point in time but I really love this. To me, it sounds way better than any of the other FRFR cabs I have tried. More guitaristic and tone and feel. Really brings out the nuances of clean and overdriven tone from loud jazz to holdsworth to dumble and SRV and anything else I've thrown at it!

User Info Menu

can you tell us anything? power? when available? anything? I'm assuming these are an upgrade from an earlier version?

it's the standard amp he uses in all his amps, 800w total, blue tooth, 5 dsp programs but built into a lighter and slightly smaller rectangular cab. This one uses a neo speaker but I'm not sure the production model will have the neo speaker. One of the cool things about his design is that the dsp programs give you the option of turning off the tweeter so you can use it as a standard guitar cab but in any event, his design sounds great for guitar. Not sure it'd be ideal for keyboard or bass or flute but for guitar it's amazing. I think it's going to be a new model and he's not sure when it'll be available as he's awaiting some components which are not available yet.

User Info Menu

Is this the GRFR cab Mick offers? It is most intriguing.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rowland
    Is this the GRFR cab Mick offers? It is most intriguing.
    Yes but in the end, i went with a pair of QSC K-12 speakers. Used they were less than 1/2 the price and while not quite as guitaristic sounding, they were more transparent than the light version of the cabinet mick sells.