The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 28
    I’m getting this bad boy tomorrow .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Looking forward to a full report. That's a classic in its own right.

So he wanted $450cad with the amp but I don’t really care about the amp so a friend who wants the amp has offered to split it 50/50 so I’m only paying $225 out of pocket

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Looking forward to a full report. That's a classic in its own right.
    Will do I’ve been after her for over 10 years .

User Info Menu

Vintage Harmony gits are cool finds. Play it in good health.

Here's a site every Harmony fan should be aware of...

Harmony guitars database

User Info Menu

GREAT guitar. Enjoy.

User Info Menu

I had a red rocket in the sixties. It was a great guitar. A few years ago, I bought one just like the one I had many years ago. Really nice. I attached a picture of me with mine in the old days (plugged into a tweed champ that was covered in black mactac).
    Keith
    Harmony Rocket H54-ff47040a-4cbb-440f-afa6-3fe2cab47e68-jpeg

User Info Menu

Nice! SO many people painted or covered both tweed and white Tolex Fender amps when Fender switched to black.

User Info Menu

One of these eons I'm gonna pick up an H1214....my Mom had one as a kid in the '50s and it was the first guitar I ever even attempted to play. I have no clue what became of it.

User Info Menu

And along came Betty. Excellent!

Also love the picture of Keith!

User Info Menu

Congrats on the find!

Forgive my ignorance here, but is that a bolt-on neck? Not every day you see that on an archtop - even a thin line.

User Info Menu

love the old harmony rockets (and meteors-early keith richards)...anything cooler than the white cupcake knobs??

a little shim in the neck pocket will let you drop that bridge a bit...and of course the tune-a-matic is not original

great guitar

enjoy

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Nice! SO many people painted or covered both tweed and white Tolex Fender amps when Fender switched to black.
    Mine was just that stick on crap and it came right off, with the tweed being in good shape. Unfortunately, I sold the champ for 50 bucks a little after that picture was taken. I bought a black face Vibrolux Reverb, which I also let go eventually, when the new solid state amps became popular. If only I knew then what I know now.
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    Mine was just that stick on crap and it came right off, with the tweed being in good shape. Unfortunately, I sold the champ for 50 bucks a little after that picture was taken. I bought a black face Vibrolux Reverb, which I also let go eventually, when the new solid state amps became popular. If only I knew then what I know now.
    Keith
    I hear ya on that one

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silvertonebetty
    I hear ya on that one

The guitar and the amp are both long gone, but I still have that white curly cord!
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    The guitar and the amp are both long gone, but I still have that white curly cord!
    Keith
    Really and o my uncle name is Keith . Are you my uncle? Jk but I do have an uncle name Keith he like 79

User Info Menu

My first guitar on my renewed guitar playing journey after a 40 year hiatus was a Silvertone Jupiter 1423 I bought for $11.99 CDN in a thrift store, no case and it needed new strings so I thought the price was fair. It was in fabulous cosmetic and playable condition and refired my passion . It's subsequent sale seeded a number of up/side grades ))

Will

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silvertonebetty
    Really and o my uncle name is Keith . Are you my uncle? Jk but I do have an uncle name Keith he like 79

differnt Keith

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WillMbCdn5
    My first guitar on my renewed guitar playing journey after a 40 year hiatus was a Silvertone Jupiter 1423 I bought for $11.99 CDN in a thrift store, no case and it needed new strings so I thought the price was fair. It was in fabulous cosmetic and playable condition and refired my passion . It's subsequent sale seeded a number of up/side grades ))

Will
    My very first guitar was a Silvertome Jupiter 1423. I wish I still had it. I don’t mean to bore everyone with pictures of me, but here’s the silvertone. That’s my brother with his Harmony H74.
    Keith
    Harmony Rocket H54-604742ba-9660-4e13-8b08-17a516d0b71a-jpeg

User Info Menu

Congrats, that guitar has some mojo going on. Enjoy her.

So After 3 days here’s my verdict . The neck is narrow and slightly smaller and that is nice . I can wrap my hand around it and use my thumb for cording if I needed to . The action is super low without buzz . The lowest I’ve seen in years . The gold foil pickups have a vary unique voice to them . I’m not much of a fan of the bridge pickup but the neck pickup it’s like o my . It’s a single coil that doesn’t sound like it’s starving for tone . It is fat and juicy and clear , takes a over driven amp well . Tonally it reminds me of bands like queens of the Stone Age , arctic monkeys , stoned foxes ect . If you have the chance to get one don’t pass it up. Ps I also cleaned the fretboard yuck

User Info Menu

The gold foil p'ups used in old Harmony guitars were, in my view their best attribute. I use my old Harmony H48 Stratotone Mercury for slide playing. Sounds great, especially overdriven.

It is rumored that some Harmony guitars had Brazilian Rosewood fretboards...since that what was readily available back in the '60's. Yours is very dark, so can't see much wood grain...but ya never know...

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    The gold foil p'ups used in old Harmony guitars were, in my view their best attribute. I use my old Harmony H48 Stratotone Mercury for slide playing. Sounds great, especially overdriven.

It is rumored that some Harmony guitars had Brazilian Rosewood fretboards...since that what was readily available back in the '60's. Yours is very dark, so can't see much wood grain...but ya never know...
    My cleaning took all the oil out of the wood it was almost grey . So I smothered it in oil.