The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 52

User Info Menu

The new elixir optiweb strings are amazing. I put them on all my guitars, they still feel new now, from 5-9 months later.
    I don't think it's that important if you change monthly but now that I study guitar, money's tight. These strings are the longest-lasting I've ever had, and they don't ever seem to break.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    I change strings every 6-12 mos, so it might take me up to three years to get through a trial of three brands!
    Once or twice a year?!

Well, my line of work is slow this time of year and I've been lucky to practice about 10 hours/day lately, or whenever I can. I'm hoping one brand in particular might stand out with this sort of use. I've had a set on for almost two weeks now and it's just about done.

I'll eventually reply to this thread with my thoughts on various brands, at least for my playing/use.

User Info Menu

I like D’Addario nyxl’s but it’s possibly because they come in a nice carton

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by p1p
    Once or twice a year?!
    Ah-yup. I don't like that twangy new string sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I like D’Addario nyxl’s but it’s possibly because they come in a nice carton
    I was kind of wondering if they're any smoother and or quieter than the regular D'Add roundwounds ....

User Info Menu

Those La Belle's are it! For me.

I put them on my 175 (has a Fralin P90 in humbucker installed) for one more try with flat wounds before my D'Addario Pure Nickels - my favourite round wounds - arrived in the mail (getting rid of Elixir Nano web - too bright for me).

Man the La Belle I think will be staying.

Played jazz on Satdy then with my roots music (Johnny Cash, Bahamas, Little Walter eetc ) band on Sunday. Sounded killer in both situations.

The 175 through a 12inch Quilter with the La Belles was amazing. Massive fat clean sound and even hit it with a hint of overdrive for some bluesy stuff. Flawed everyone in the room. I did not think rounds would work in the roots band but the vote from the band was keep those La Belle's.

Well the first set I've tried on the strat so far is Ernie Ball Regular Slinkys. Seems to be quite a difference from the Rotosound in my opinion. Less bright and more balanced. I'm really liking these - huge improvement!

Next set of strings to try will be Fender. I'll let you know in a couple weeks, or however long it takes for me to go through these strings. Hopefully longer!

Gone through the Slinkys already (7 days). Wondering if my sweat is causing the strings to corrode faster? I wash my hands often and wipe the strings as well.

Anyway, put these Fender 150R pure nickel strings on. Excellent bluesy jazz tones, best so far.

User Info Menu

And there never will be! Different strings sound different on different guitars. It's a forever search or you can just pick some and ignore it!

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    Not quite a consensus here.

User Info Menu

On my Strat, I like GHS Nickel Rockers in .010. Warmer tone than steel wrap, durable, and affordable.

User Info Menu

might consider giving these a ride...great tone and the feel is pretty amazing compared other string brands i've used for 40 years.

Your Tone Better - SonoTone Strings

Quote Originally Posted by maplebaby
    might consider giving these a ride...great tone and the feel is pretty amazing compared other string brands i've used for 40 years.

Your Tone Better - SonoTone Strings
    Damn $20 a set though.. maybe if I was playing casually. I seem to melt strings, which I'm now thinking may be due to coffee intake.

User Info Menu

Another vote for good old D'Addario XL110's. I use them on my Strat and Semi Hollow. Frankly, I've never perceived a difference between one brand of string and another of the same gauge made out of the same metal. And since D'Addario basically make all the other brands sold in US shops (except Martin and GHS) anyway ...

On my archtop, I've been using Martin Monels (the "retro" set). Acoustically, they're a little closer to true acoustic strings, but sound the same as the regular nickel-plated strings plugged in so far as I can tell.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Longways to Go
    Nobody liking Elixirs? I do. Also giving the big nod to D'addario.

Gibson & Fender branded strings are surprisingly good too IMO.
    I like Elixers. I use nanoweb .011s on all my guitars except my archtop. Have been for years. I think they're nicely balanced tonally, and they do last quite a bit longer than uncoated strings. (Though, when they go dead, they go DEAD. And fast!)

I may need to give the opti-webs a try, though.

User Info Menu

^I'm in love with the optiwebs.

I've got a gig this week so I figured I'd replace the optiweb set on my ES which were from october. Put on a brand new set of ernie balls I had laying around and holy crap, the difference is huge. It feels like playing on steak knives compared to the optiwebs.

Well I just put two and two together and realized why I might have been going through strings so quickly. I was wiping them down once or twice a day while playing with Dunlop lemon oil for rosewood fretboards. I think it was reacting with my skin/sweat and prematurely corroding the strings. I haven’t been doing that for a couple weeks now, and haven’t noticed the sort of black/brown corrosion look on the plains, after about two weeks.

Also highly recommend the fender 150r pure nickels if you haven’t tried them. I will get around to trying a few of your suggestions though. Cheers all.

User Info Menu

Thomastik Infeld Blues Sliders when you're in the UK.

DR Pure Blues when you're resident in the US.

User Info Menu

Welcome back Jabbs

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Longways to Go
    Nobody liking Elixirs? I do. Also giving the big nod to D'addario.

Gibson & Fender branded strings are surprisingly good too IMO.
    Yes! me! I've had a set of the Optiweb 11s on one of my strats for a while now, just as an experiment, but they're are working out great, I really like them - maybe not one for those who like warm vintage-sounding strings, but I'm impressed.

Other than that, I find most roundwound brands work well enough for me, and I've been very happy with the results from the cheap "value strings" that thomann.de sell - they don't last as well as the Elixirs, but sound fine, and can't argue with the price.

User Info Menu

Who makes Fender strings?

User Info Menu

According to FDP - Forum D'Addario makes Fender strings. That search took about 15 seconds.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    According to FDP - Forum D'Addario makes Fender strings. That search took about 15 seconds.
    Aren’t you the clever lad then.

User Info Menu

Yeah, I discovered this great new thing called Google. It finds all sorts of things for me.

User Info Menu

I must admit I was quite impressed with a set of Fender acoustic strings that were factory on a flat top Fender Paramount.
    I haven't bought a new set of Fender strings yet, but I have been thinking about it. If I'm not mistaken, I believe they are coated too? And super cheap for sure. I may have to go there soon.

D'addario makes all kinds of great strings. I love their EXP line. If the "Fender" line is similar but cheaper -- then heck yah !

User Info Menu

GHS Brite Flats 10 - 46. Not actually flat, but highly polished for less finger noise. Great sounding, durable strings.

Also S.I.T.s 10-46. Stands for "Stay in Tune. They do. And also keep their tone (neither overly bright nor nor dull - they just sound broken in) for months.