The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

I have a new 16" archtop (Mr. Wu / Lora) and am about to take the pickup to my guitar guy.

I wanted a more traditional humbucker sound (think classic '57) but didn't want to cut a hole in the guitar. So based on reviews I saw on this forum, and sound clips on youtube, I went with a KA handmade 12 pole floater (neck mount).

If I want to emphasize the electric sound (no "quack") what would you recommend as far as pickup height?

If it matters, my normal amp is an Acoustic Image Corus. But I sometimes play through a Fender princeton too.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

well with floaters, you usually really don't have lots of room to experiment with...neck angle and neck mount pretty much dictate where the pup can be mounted...

if you have a bit of leeway, i'd mount it as low as possible, without resting on the body..and then use the polepieces for fine tuning

also the type of string you use ie stainless steel vs pure nickel etc etc... is another factor

luck

cheers

User Info Menu

Since you’re going with a neck-mounted floater, you’ll be able to temporarily push it onto the end of the neck to test it before permanent mounting.

Temporarily mount the pickup:
    Im assuming you ordered your guitar sans pickup, so this will be easier than if you first had to take out the existing original pickup. Remove the pickguard. Now, connect your new KA 12-pole pickup direct to a cable and plug it into your amp. Then, bend the arms of the mounting bracket to just narrower than the end of the neck (so the tension holds it in place while you experiment. Hold the guitar in playing position and press the pickup onto the end of the neck (if you’re worried about scratches, use care pushing it on.

Find optimal pickup height:
    Starting height for humbuckers is 6/64” on the bass side and 4/64” on the treble size (this is measured from top of pole piece to bottom of string while fretting at the highest fret. See how it sounds. If boomy or muddy, increase distance. If too thin and airy with no balls, reduce distance. If you’re going for a PAF sound (which the 12-pole KA is designed for) you’ll want the pickup close enough to the strings to get the growl but not the mud. Once you’ve found the perfect pickup height, put a mark on the neck extension inside the screw holes on the pickup mounting bracket. A fine point sharpie works well for this. Then you'll know where to mount the bracket.

Conclusion:
    With your pickup’s mounting arms adjusted to fit the neck width and the neck mounting holes marked, you’re ready to do your wiring. With the pickup now connected to vol/tone/jack, put everything in place and test again Before drilling pickup mounting holes (measure twice—cut once). When you’re satisfied, removed everything again and drill your holes. Put it together. Done.

ps: If there is a channel routed for a pickup mounting bracket, that may limit how high or low you can mount the pickup. But, try positions before drilling holes.

User Info Menu

Pardon. I overlooked the part about taking the new pickup to your guitar guy. Sorry. I’d still recommend you experiment with pickup heights while actually playing the guitar. A floater is finicky. Very little wiggle room after its mounted. But I like neatomic’s suggestion about adjusting pole pieces if you can’t get the pickup high enough. Good luck. Please report back when it’s done!

User Info Menu

Assuming it's the type you mount to the pickguard. This means you won't have much leeway in pickup height. However, since this is a 12 pole *adjustable pole piece* pickup, no worries. Just adjust the pole pieces out for more electric, in for more acoustic. Oh.. and this is by far my favorite electric pickup and I think you'll be pleased with the sound through both your Princeton and AER.

So.. you going to post a picture of the Wu guitar or what?

User Info Menu

to give a partially useful example:

i have a ka floater with no pole pieces. i don't have my dealie right in front of me to measure it, but the pickup sits a hair above the level of the fretboard, and it is attached to the board and not the pickup. it sounds fairly electric if i want it to. depends how i set the amp and i did install a volume and tone knob (500k pot, .22 cap, probably) to kinda play up the acoustic vs electric sounds.

that said, it isn't much like say, a 175 or an l5 something like that. it is still an "acoustic" sound, but at its brightest, closer to something like a gretsch. it gets warm in a different way than a set in pickup.

and for what it is worth, it sits much higher than my regular acoustic soundhole pickups (obviously), but those sound much more "acoustic" than the floater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    also the type of string you use ie stainless steel vs pure nickel etc etc... is another factor
    ... and the choice of bridge.
    I'd recommend a TOM, not a wooden bridge.

User Info Menu

Just wanted to add that Kent makes numerous floating pickups, and there's often confusion about which is what. They can be hard to talk about.

The one that is most like a full sized set hum bucker is what he calls a floating PAF. It's only available in pick guard mount. It appears to be the same as his full sized set hum bucker. One of my arch tops has this full sized floater and another has the one that goes in a hole. Both 12 pole. They have the same dimensions on the face.

The neck mount floaters are usually the smaller mini-hum Johnny Smith type. They are available in both mounts, with 6 or 12 pole, or smooth top.

I'd go with the full sized floating PAF if I wanted the full sized sound. It's a really great pickup and you'll see it on a lot of top end luthier-built instruments. All those poles give a ton of adjustability. I've been able to easily dial in phosphor bronze strings for EG.

There are a few more variations as well. Here's a good overview of KA handmades: ac accessories

User Info Menu

I learned from Kent that he also makes a neck mount version of the KA Handwound 12-pole PAF. You just have to ask for it.

User Info Menu

That's really good to know. There've been many posts from folks having a hard time finding a full size neck mount hum bucker. This would be that!

I just dropped it off with my guitar tech. Pics to follow when I get it back.

ccroft, it is indeed the handmade full sized humbucker (which I ordered from Djangobooks but it seems to have been delivered directly from Kent). That was the only place I saw it in a black color; my guitar is light maple with black trim.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yungch
    I have a new 16" archtop (Mr. Wu / Lora) and am about to take the pickup to my guitar guy. I wanted a more traditional humbucker sound (think classic '57) but didn't want to cut a hole in the guitar. So based on reviews I saw on this forum, and sound clips on youtube, I went with a KA handmade 12 pole floater (neck mount).
    Great choice, awesome pickup.

KA 12 floating pickup height-you-have-chosen-wisely-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yungch
    I just dropped it off with my guitar tech. Pics to follow when I get it back.

ccroft, it is indeed the handmade full sized humbucker (which I ordered from Djangobooks but it seems to have been delivered directly from Kent). That was the only place I saw it in a black color; my guitar is light maple with black trim.
    I have been waiting a long time with bated breath for pics and conclusion!!

User Info Menu

I just put a post in the "Builder's Bench" section asking for some help with the KA 12 pole floater/sidetab mount installation...my epoxy failed and I want to have my tech use screws to attach it to the pickguard but apparently there is some wiring in the sidetab which requires great care when drilling holes. Any intel on where is safe vs. unsafe to drill holes in the sidetab would be greatly appreciated!

(posting here since we all know the "guitars, amps and gizmos" section gets the most views!)

User Info Menu

There is no wiring in the side tab. I used screws to mount mine and it works perfectly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    There is no wiring in the side tab. I used screws to mount mine and it works perfectly.
    Could you please post a picture showing approx where the screws are located? I've heard from others and have seen some non-close-up pics that suggest near the corners is safe but that other spots are "danger danger".

User Info Menu

The new KA12's may not have wires in the side tab. The older ones did. Think the single coil model still does.

KA 12 floating pickup height-ka_1coil-jpgKA 12 floating pickup height-ka_paf-jpg

User Info Menu

Why not ask Kent Armstrong?

He's nice and there's certainly no better authority on Kent Armstrong pickups.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny
    Could you please post a picture showing approx where the screws are located? I've heard from others and have seen some non-close-up pics that suggest near the corners is safe but that other spots are "danger danger".
    Yeah, I think that the ones with the cast housing may have contacts in the tab but I have a metal one like the pic shows only it is black. I would have to take my pickguard off to take a pic of what I did but the tab is brass. Easy to drill through.
    Attached Images Attached Images KA 12 floating pickup height-s-l1600-1-jpg 

User Info Menu

Yeah, I think that the ones with the cast housing may have contacts in the tab but I have a metal one like the pic shows only it is black. I would have to take my pickguard off to take a pic of what I did but the tab is brass. Easy to drill through.
    The cast housing ones especially the 12-pole PAF is very different from yours. Apples and oranges.

I think the issue has been landed in this thread: KA PAF 12 install Height ....basically with the newer ones it seems the corners are safe to drill into, but perhaps not with the older ones.