Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Amps What is "the amp of the jour" these days?

It used to be Polytone, later Henriksen, AI Clarus + RE cab.....

What is the tits right now?

I think it's still the "henriksen, AI, AER" Triumvirate.

I dunno. I bought my Henriksen about 10 years ago. I have a lunchbox for pinches, and a tube amp for home, but that henriksen...that's everything a person could need.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action?"

--Adam West, as Batman, 1966.

Dunno, but I've been gigging with my Acoustic Image Corus+ and Ten2 for eight or nine years now. Don't feel the need for anything more current.

Danny W.

I think people have been pushing those underpowered DV things...whatevs. Or some amp made by the Amish, quilt-something. I think you got the right idea, Danny.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:

I think it's still Marshall half stack.

I'm digging the 65 Amps Tupelo. It has tubes and it's heavy...so not the amp-du-day around here.

Quote Originally Posted by morroben View Post
    I'm digging the 65 Amps Tupelo. It has tubes and it's heavy...so not the amp-du-jour around here.
    Nice amp. You got roadies, huh?

Shit, my Polytone''s heavy in winter.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:

The DV Mark Little Jazz amps deserve an honorable mention at the least. So inexpensive, but man these sound great without a lot twiddling. I have made a lot of mods (with one more coming) to refine my SuperSonic 22, but the past few nights I just plugged into the LJ. I may be playing a small gig next month and due to its portability, the LJ will go out while the Fender stays home.
    Check out my tracks at www.soundcloud.com/billmcmannis

25lbs / 11Kg is my max weight acceptance for an amp these days

25 lbs! Shit, I could take my amp twice!
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    Nice amp. You got roadies, huh?
    Even better...no gigs!

Grace Design Felix -> Schertler Jam150 Ext
    Hell is full of musical amateurs - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by morroben View Post
    Even better...no gigs!
    You must play actual jazz
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:

For me it's the Quilter Aviator Twin Ten and the DV Mark Little Jazz ... which contrary to some is NOT underpowered. It'll hang with a noisy drummer just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufes View Post
    It used to be Polytone, later Henriksen, AI Clarus + RE cab.....

What is the tits right now?
    The ones I see people talking about the most are the Bud, Katanas and Mustang GTs. Polytone will never not be in style though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

For Jazz, I see the following amps talked about and being used:

Fender
    Polytone
    Acoustic Image (often combined with Raezer's Edge)
    Henriksen
    AER
    Evans
    Quilter
    Mambo
    DV
    Allesandro
    Phil Jones
    Schertler
    Jazzkat
    ZT
    Roland

Then there are the boutique tube amps and the high dollar modeling amps

And some guys use amps made for other genres like Mesa, Marshall, Fishman, Musicman, Line 6, Peavey etc.

And some guys like the old vintage tube amps like Gibson, Stimer, Supro etc.

Lots of choices.

Perhaps too many
    choices

Been using an AER Compact 60 for 20 years now, highlights every bad note.

The amp du jour is clearly whichever amp I have for sale at the time.

This week, that makes it a
    - new Koch SE6 1x12 2 or 6 watt combo that I got from Koch at NAMM;
    - new Koch Twintone III 50 watt head that I just don't use, also from NAMM;
    - 1970 Ampeg helmethead Reverbojet 1x12 18 watt combo - I have two of them and only want to keep one.
    I guess I'll be putting up some ads soon enough.
    "Somebody get me out of this chair." - BOB WILLS
    Hammertone is a registered Hofnerologist.

I have been using my Polytone Megabrute for years. I have other amps but that small combo is so convenient that is the one I always take for gigs or rehearsal.

I just bought an early Henriksen Jazzamp 10 (not yet arrived). Same 23lbs but 1x10 instead of the 1x8 of the Polytone. Just to try something different.

Way i see it, one new thing is cheap giggable amps. Used to be pretty much only the roland cubes would fit into that category. Nowdays, there 's Katana, Dv mark, and other amps you can find for 2-3 hundred bucks and they do the job. Buy used and you got many more choices.

However, i still hear a difference in the sound quality of more expensive stuff. Played this jam session recently where i was in the house band, and a bunch of players played through my Henriksen. A Gibson L5, a Hofner, an Elferink and a Campellone among others. The little thing sounded stellar! Pretty much the only non-compromise solid state amp i ve had so far for jazz (and besides Evans, Quilter, Mambo and DV mark i 've had and gigged with all the others in Stringswingers list above).

Also, for me, the ZT Lunchbox is in a category by itself. Not so much because of its sound, but because i don't know of any other amp that's giggable at many styles of music, and fits in a backpack. Got a gig where you have to walk a lot, indoors or outdoors, guitar and a backpack you re set!

I mostly play two amps nowadays, my new / old Polytone 102v and my Super Reverb. I get separation anxiety when I think about selling some of the others :-)
    Regards,

Gary

What is "the amp of the jour" these days?-kustom-jpg
    -- Isn't it ironic that "archtop" is a spelling error on this forum?

That's ugly as hell LOL

pretty sure all the cool kids around here are going on and on about their baby dv marks, katanas and quilters.

don't look at me, though. my amp has 16 tubes in it. but i'm using my little roland ac33 more, be it acoustic, electric or archtop.

Give me a real mid '60s Deluxe Reverb, don't gig, don't need a roadie, want the sparkle and lush reverb and oomph of a vintage 12" speaker... I got all kinds of other amps but I go "aaaahhhh" when I pluck my first chords on a Deluxe.

mmh, strange, not long ago all the talk was about the Mambo's. What became of that?

For me - was, is and will be my Twin Reverb. That is a classic for a reason and it never disappoints me.

If I had to play out, I'll take my AER compact xl (which has a brilliant line out) or my Kemper and I'll be covered.

If I could find one this side of the Atlantic, and in good condition, I would give my right testicle for a 1963 Vibroverb with 15" speaker. Every time I've played one (3 times) it has convinced me that it pushes all my buttons - and some. Clean and chimy up to 4/5 then beautiful progressive breakup the way I like to hear it - plus beautifully balanced depth in the mids and bass.

PS - I don't plan to have any more children, so for anyone in Europe (preferably near Paris) the right testicle is on offer

Easy. Axe FX ii soon to be iii. Or Kemper profiler.

The funny thing is, I’ve gotten rid of a lot of guitars, but I still seem to have too many amps lying around . Still have my poly tone, my Henriksen bought one of those tiny little Quilter heads .

But the absolute best one that I have for playing this kind of music is the Phil Jones super cub. I think it gets a much better sound for that polytone kind of thing . I absolutely love it.

Navdeep Singh.

For me what is old is new again....Fender Princeton Reverb

Ready for blasphemy? I gigged for _years_ with first a '67 blackface Deluxe Reverb, then a '66 blackface Deluxe Reverb. (Before that, bigger Fender amps.) These were SUPERB amplifiers. The chief difference between the two was that the '67 was all original--NO alterations--whereas the '66 had a speaker from a 50s Twin Amp in it.

The Deluxe Reverbs were my favorite amps, bar none, until the Polytones came along. In particular, the Baby Brute and Mega Brute--the ones with the 8" speaker. There is something about the way that the 8" Eminence speaker in a one cubic foot sealed cabinet (Baby Brute) presents the tone of an archtop guitar that simply sounds better than any other amplifier I have used.

Although today I continue to use Fenders, 12" and 15" Polytones, Ampeg and Lab Series amps, I have yet to improve upon the sound of an 8" Polytone. As much as I like AI amps and RE cabs, I would still choose a mint Baby or Mega Brute if I had to back down to a one-amp situation.

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed