The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 29

User Info Menu

Greetings! My first post here, have been lurking for a while but thought it was time to harvest the knowledge in here.

I have no experience whatsoever with Jazz, but that may need to change as I recently aquired a rather lovely 1977 Gibson Super 400. It sounds amaaaaaazing and plays like butter, and has long been on my bucket list of guitars. She's got fretless wonder-type frets, and I guess a refret isn't too far down the line, but for now she's pretty much perfect.

She's not entirely without issues, but I immediately fell in love and she's quickly taken the no. 1 spot amongst my guitars. She is more or less original - I've replaced the knobs with some aged ones from crazyparts (yes, I know they're not correct - the old ones were a mixture of fake tophats and std gibson black knobs) and the TRC is wrong. I could really use some help in finding the correct one (see Gibson Custom truss rod cover c 1940 pre-war orignal vintage | Reverb) - I've only found this one on reverb and for me it's a little too expensive for what it is. I've sent Gibson Custom an email regarding a new one but haven't received an answer. Will not hold my breath. Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Anyway - I guess some pictures are in order:

Gibson Super 400 - Knob Replacement-lrg_dsc07264-jpgGibson Super 400 - Knob Replacement-lrg_dsc07257-jpgGibson Super 400 - Knob Replacement-lrg_dsc07260-jpgGibson Super 400 - Knob Replacement-lrg_dsc07258-jpgGibson Super 400 - Knob Replacement-lrg_dsc07268-jpgGibson Super 400 - Knob Replacement-lrg_dsc07259-jpgGibson Super 400 - Knob Replacement-lrg_dsc07262-jpgGibson Super 400 - Knob Replacement-lrg_dsc07263-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

1), and 2) Congratulations on the S400, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

You’re getting started with jazz with one fine guitar there. I don’t have any info on truss rod covers but just wanted to say welcome aboard and congrats on that great guitar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Starting mountaineering at Everest's peak!

User Info Menu

Nice!

User Info Menu

Stunning guitar ! Unfortunately, expensive guitars ask dor expensive parts if you want to go original. This quest is more or less the same as the one for a L5 tailpiece for little cash. Good luck with the chase !!

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Starting mountaineering at Everest's peak!
    Haha, I did expect something like that. I didn't buy this thing to learn Jazz - I play in a very Neil Young inspired "band", and the sounds coming out of this thing when pushed with some overdrive simply defies belief. Feedback is of course an issue, but all the more fun.

The learning-jazz-guitar part is more of an added bonus, plus I hope it will improve my technique and improvisation.

And thanks for all the kind remarks. The Super 400 really is a Super guitar

User Info Menu

Wow. this is like a guy on his first date and he goes out with Miss Universe! Congratulations!

User Info Menu

Hey there PHAT Maan.

You've started out at the top level there. Don't do what we all have done and trade it in for something you'll end up regretting!

I see some issue on the top plate by the controls. Is that a repair?

User Info Menu

Well, the good news is you can skip right past all the jazz newbie "is my guitar right for jazz" thinking so many go through

User Info Menu

Welcome. As a fellow Super 400 owner, I am aware of the great feeling that comes from playing one of these.

One word of advice: Have your jazz chops together before you bring that ax to a jazz jam session with pros. If you bring a Super 400 to such an event, the expectations will be high.

User Info Menu

Be sure to use an oxygen mask when thinking about playing it.
    As a "jazz newbie" it's unusual to be so "close to the summit", and you're likely to find that you are regularly breathless just looking at it!
    Great guitar - enjoy it

PS - just when I though I didn't need (yet) another guitar, GAS is threatening to engulf me when I look at this beauty.. Get thee behind me Satan (but don't push me in, please!)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbow
    Hey there PHAT Maan.

You've started out at the top level there. Don't do what we all have done and trade it in for something you'll end up regretting!

I see some issue on the top plate by the controls. Is that a repair?
    Jepp, she had some sort of incident in the early eighties - there’s also a longitudinal crack on the back. Both are repaired and 100% solid, I got a luthier to give me an estimate to repair them but I like the feel and look of an ol’ beater guitar so will leave it as is.

And not to worry, I won’t be showing up at a jazz club anytime soon to go on stage.

User Info Menu

To note, you'll soon find, as you delve into jazz...it's still just a guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Welcome. As a fellow Super 400 owner, I am aware of the great feeling that comes from playing one of these.

One word of advice: Have your jazz chops together before you bring that ax to a jazz jam session with pros. If you bring a Super 400 to such an event, the expectations will be high.

Good advice. Bring a Fender Squier and ask how you plug it in.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger

This is true! I used to play at an open session in my area, and when I'd pull my blonde Heritage Golden Eagle out of the case, literally there would be this moment of quiet, and everyone assumed "this guy can play!" but pretty soon they learned otherwise... I was dating out of my league!

User Info Menu

Other than for aesthetic reasons why do you need to have a 1940's type of truss rod cover? The cover on the guitar in the picture looks like a std. Gibson truss rod cover. Does it not fit correctly?
    I know there are many Gibson repro 1950's parts especially for Les Pauls, 335's,etc. Try Ebay and Google for actual sites.

User Info Menu

A thought: it might be worth keeping two searches going--(1) for the appropriate art-deco truss rod cover; (2) for a Van Eps string damper. The string damper would be completely appropriate as an accessory for the truss rod area--many great jazz artists used this device, replacing the truss rod cover. It looks cool and suggests that you are really "inside."

The Van Eps string damper isn't cheap--when it can be found--but it is age appropriate for your guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Other than for aesthetic reasons why do you need to have a 1940's type of truss rod cover? The cover on the guitar in the picture looks like a std. Gibson truss rod cover. Does it not fit correctly?
    I know there are many Gibson repro 1950's parts especially for Les Pauls, 335's,etc. Try Ebay and Google for actual sites.
    a std Gibson trc is shorter - the distance between the screw holes is smaller. Hence my trc is only attached with one screw. I have no desire for a prewar trc, it was merely the only one I’ve found. I’d prefer either a 70s one or a new repro.

I’ll check the Van Eps, thank you for the tip!

On another note; a good friend of mine is a professional jazz guitarist, so maybe I should try to pull this off at the next jazz night:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    Good advice. Bring a Fender Squier and ask how you plug it in.
    And when a tune is called in a particular key, you could ask "What do you mean by Key"

User Info Menu

Or “I’m playing a *guitar*, not a piano...guitars don’t have keys” and say it as dismissively as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

a PhatFrank deserves a PHAT jazz guitar. I hope you got a great buy on it!

Thought I'd share a picture of the ol' lady with her new hollowbodysisters; a 1965 Epi Granada and a '03 Gretsch Silver Falcon. Both are amazing guitars.

Gibson Super 400 - Knob Replacement-lrg_dsc07297-jpg

User Info Menu

That's one nice axe. But you got yourself one big problem now. From this point on, no GAS can be justified, so there's no excuse from just sitting down and practice.

As for the TRC, I'd just leave the standard one on and wait and see if an original one shows up somewhere for a reasonable price one of these days. There's no hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by oldane
    That's one nice axe. But you got yourself one big problem now. From this point on, no GAS can be justified, so there's no excuse from just sitting down and practice.

As for the TRC, I'd just leave the standard one on and wait and see if an original one shows up somewhere for a reasonable price one of these days. There's no hurry.
    Thanks. Regarding the TRC, this is exactly what I intend to do, but thought I'd check if anyone here knows about one available. My guess is that these are reaaaally hard to find.