The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

Reading the posts in this forum is a double edged sword. On the one hand, you are tempted to buy guitars, often at great deals. On the other hand you hear horror stories about shipping disasters and defective instruments.

This is my third CME blowout purchase and I am happy to say I am 3 for 3. No shipping or quality issues. In fact all three are simply stellar instruments. I have a fourth and final CME guitar coming next week and I am hoping for a grand slam.

David A. at CME told me that the techs who saw my guitar said it was the best of the bunch (whatever "bunch" meant). I assumed that was simply salesman puffery. Perhaps not. I am blown away by the quality of this instrument. The fit, finish, woods, tone and playability are outstanding. This will likely become my favorite 175. It rivals my genuine 1963 ES-175 in every way and it is a blonde (and I like blonde archtops). The attention to detail is staggering. And these MHS Pups are as good as any PUP I have heard. OK, I know I am gushing, but I call it as I see it. At $2695 (including shipping and a set of TI flats) this was a bargain.

The only fly in the ointment is the 50's neck profile. I prefer the slimmer 60's neck profile. I am going to adapt. This guitar speaks to me.

There are three main types of Gibson ES-175s. Pre Norlin, Norlin and Post Norlin. Each type has many variants, and Gibson chose to do a pre Norlin for the reissue (no surprise there) and chose 1959 as the template. This is a bit odd to me as the 175 heroes played different year models. Herb Ellis and Jim Hall both played early 50's models modified with a single Humbucker. Pat Metheny played a 1960 Single Humbucker model (modified to a two PUP and reversed), Joe Pass played a 1962 two PUP model and Steve Howe played a 1964 Two PUP model. I guess 1959 being the revered year for Les Pauls is the best year for marketing purposes.

The guitar has Bumblebee caps, CTS pots, MHS humbuckers, rosewood fretboard and bridge saddle (really rich, dark rosewood. The neck oozes vintage vibe and the plain, slab cut maple is clear with outstanding light grain patterns. The case is a repro of a 50's case with modern improvements (the guitar fits snug and has double neck cradles). The guitar is constructed with hot hide glue and adirondack spruce braces.

The neck is straight as an arrow, the frets are perfectly crowned and polished and there are no flaws. She weighs 6 pounds 7 ounces. I am totally jazzed. A big thanks to Vinny for making me aware of this incredible opportunity and David A. at CME for all his help. This deal is the epitome of a win-win deal.

Here are some pics: CME Gibson 59RI ES-175D (Blonde)-20180112_141437-jpgCME Gibson 59RI ES-175D (Blonde)-20180112_141427-jpgCME Gibson 59RI ES-175D (Blonde)-20180112_141559-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

nice..hope you hit that grand slam!

agree abt 60's neck vs 50's..tho slightly clubby can be nice!!

enjoy

cheers

User Info Menu

Congrats! I have the exact same guitar and I'm still amazed at the sound of the MHS pickups. And, I love the 50's neck.

User Info Menu

Nice bro! And it came with a California girl case (sorry Jabbs, I hadda steal that one). Beauty!
    you will get use to the neck. It will come in handy (ar, ar, ar) when you do your solo chord melody gigs.
    And im sorry, 175’s MUST come with kluson pearloid keystone pegs. They got yours right.
    love it bro.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Wow. She's a stunner. I also have the same model in blonde. The neck is just awesome and I have come to love it. As will you.

Hey, I should know this, but can one of my more knowledgable brothers here tell me why the labels are lighter now as opposed to the red labels they were using?

Roli

User Info Menu

Those MHS pickups are the real deal. I even put one in my wine red Tal.

Congrats on the trifecta. I’m looking forward to a superfecta!

User Info Menu

That's a beauty, Ss, and I'll bet it sounds as good as it looks. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

And here's hoping for 4 & 0!

User Info Menu

That is the kind of blonde 175 I like to see. Not all 3D flames everywhere, just a plain wood pretty looking 175. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Nice bro! And it came with a California girl case (sorry Jabbs, I hadda steal that one). Beauty!
    you will get use to the neck. It will come in handy (ar, ar, ar) when you do your solo chord melody gigs.
    And im sorry, 175’s MUST come with kluson pearloid keystone pegs. They got yours right.
    love it bro.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Joe D
    I agree JD. The Grovers on the figured 175's are, IMO covered in wrong sauce.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Congrats to Stringswinger for yet another CME score. Long may you enjoy it. The neck looks a little red. But it may well be my own reflection that I am looking at.
    Jabbs, that is my digital camera. The neck color is perfect. Same as my genuine 1963 ES-175. I may be hoping for a grand slam with my 4th CME Gibson, but I can say this; with this guitar, Gibson hit it out of the park.

User Info Menu

Blond ES models rule - that's a beauty for sure. Congrats and play her in good health!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger

Pat Metheny played a 1960 Single Humbucker model (modified to a two PUP and reversed), Joe Pass played a 1962 two PUP model and...
    Beautiful guitar. Congratulations on that one. One small point, I think Joe Pass’ guitar was a 1964. I received an email several years ago, saying it was stolen. I was never able to confirm that the email was legitimate/true, but it said his guitar was 'a 64 ES-175D, S/N 221970. Maybe some on the forum knows if this was true or not.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Congratulations on that fantastic VOS 1959 ES175! Looks wonderful. They intentionally went with "plainer" woods for the VOS models because the old ones were more functional in purpose, but of course you know that. But plain can still be beautiful! Flame is not the only source of beauty in this world, is it.

I love the contrast between the colors on the blond 175s. It's just fantastic.

Couldn't have happened to a better guy!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    Beautiful guitar. Congratulations on that one. One small point, I think Joe Pass’ guitar was a 1964. I received an email several years ago, saying it was stolen. I was never able to confirm that the email was legitimate/true, but it said his guitar was 'a 64 ES-175D, S/N 221970. Maybe some on the forum knows if this was true or not.
    Keith
    Keith, I got the same E-mail. After Joe died, his adopted son, Joe Pass Jr. could not find that guitar. He mistakenly thought it to be a 1964 and put the word out to the jazz guitar community that it was stolen. Some years later, I wanted to write a biography of Joe Pass. When I interviewed John Pisano, John told me that he had been contacted by an LA Times newspaperman named John Kissel who was also working on a Biography of Joe Pass. I contacted John Kissel and we agreed to collaborate (we eventually decided to abandon the project as there did not seem to be much of a market for the book). John interviewed Mike Peak, an LA construction worker who gave that 1962 ES-175 to Joes Pass in 1962. Joe Pass Jr. told me that he thought John Pisano had the guitar. John Pisano denied it. It's whereabouts remain a mystery.

If Herb Ellis' 175 could fetch 10K (without papers of provenance), what would Joe's 175 bring?

User Info Menu

Stringswinger,

To me, _that's_ a ES-175D. We all grew up with the 175 as a utility-grade archtop from Gibson. Plain woods/GREAT sound/GREAT player.

Your new guitar just nails the look. Gibson has often fudged plenty of details when reissuing guitars. Not this time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Stringswinger,

To me, _that's_ a ES-175D. We all grew up with the 175 as a utility-grade archtop from Gibson. Plain woods/GREAT sound/GREAT player.

Your new guitar just nails the look. Gibson has often fudged plenty of details when reissuing guitars. Not this time.
    Plain woods, flamed woods, I like them all. Variety is indeed the spice of life. CME Gibson 59RI ES-175D (Blonde)-4-175s-jpg

User Info Menu

That's a great set, Stringswinger! If I'd live next door to you I'd be over at your place every other day to have a go at one of them!

User Info Menu

Good looks run in your family, Stringswinger. Great group of siblings there!

User Info Menu

Plain woods, flamed woods, I like them all. Variety is indeed the spice of life. CME Gibson 59RI ES-175D (Blonde)-4-175s-jpg
    now all you need is a floater 165.
    JD

User Info Menu

Hey Stringswinger,

Congrats on another fine New Guitar Day! Your inventory of 175's is jaw dropping.
    Only problem I see is which one do you pick up?

My experience with the CME Gibson Floor Model sale was also excellent. Top rate. I'll shop CME in the future for sure if ever I need another guitar anything. Haters can hate all they want, but then they won't be bringing home a new 175 for under $3K, will they?

Deal of a lifetime IMO.

User Info Menu

Nice Marco. Glad you got a sweetie. I tried 3 times with CME and struck out with the VOS 175's. 3 strikes I am out. Glad you hit it out of the park. David promised to hand pick my last one. He did not and I got sent another turd. I was adamant no cracked neck binding. When I opened the case the 1st thing I saw was cracked neck binding, a bottomed out bridge, and sky high action.
    I had a really nice 2014 VOS 175 that I sold with my DAQ. Should have kept that one. Enjoy your new axe my friend. Sweeeeeet !!!

User Info Menu

Just when you were climbing out of the rabbit hole you fell back in. Sorry you relapsed. Back to step 1 of the 12 fret program.
    Currently I have made it to step 3 / F# but I am afraid soon I will fall off the wagon back to open E again.
    Nothing like a good Gibson buzz flowing to your brain.
    Hello my name is Marco and I am a Guitaraholic. Hello Marco :-) See you at the meeting Tuesday night my friend.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Just when you were climbing out of the rabbit hole you fell back in. Sorry you relapsed. Back to step 1 of the 12 fret program.
    Currently I have made it to step 3 / F# but I am afraid soon I will fall off the wagon back to open E again.
    Nothing like a good Gibson buzz flowing to your brain.
    Hello my name is Marco and I am a Guitaraholic. Hello Marco :-) See you at the meeting Tuesday night my friend.
    I am going to sell my Guild. Gibsons? That is a tough habit to break. And should not step 3 be G?

User Info Menu

No G is step 4. Open E is step 1, F is step 2, F# step 3, then G which is my next step. Hope I make it.

User Info Menu

Keith, I got the same E-mail. After Joe died, his adopted son, Joe Pass Jr. could not find that guitar. He mistakenly thought it to be a 1964 and put the word out to the jazz guitar community that it was stolen. Some years later, I wanted to write a biography of Joe Pass. When I interviewed John Pisano, John told me that he had been contacted by an LA Times newspaperman named John Kissel who was also working on a Biography of Joe Pass. I contacted John Kissel and we agreed to collaborate (we eventually decided to abandon the project as there did not seem to be much of a market for the book). John interviewed Mike Peak, an LA construction worker who gave that 1962 ES-175 to Joes Pass in 1962. Joe Pass Jr. told me that he thought John Pisano had the guitar. John Pisano denied it. It's whereabouts remain a mystery.

If Herb Ellis' 175 could fetch 10K (without papers of provenance), what would Joe's 175 bring?
    Marc:
    Very interesting. I guess it was a ‘62 then. I saw Joe play that guitar with Oscar Peterson and Nels Pederson on their first tour. Joe had had the best tone ever with that guitar. If you ever decide to go ahead with the bio, I’ll buy a copy!
    Keith