The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 73 of 73

User Info Menu

I picked up a Koch SE6 combo at NAMM:
    - Class A - runs either a 6V6 or an EL84 power tube, with a 12XA7 preamp tube
    - switchable from 6 watts to 2 watts
    - has a few useful tone & gain controls, recording out, line out, speaker on/off w/speaker-load, standby switch
    - 1x12" speaker (OEM Koch VG12-60, made by Sica in Italy, who make Jensen speakers)
    - runs a 4 | 8 | 16 ohm external speaker cab
    - 34w x 34h x 25d | 13.4” x 13.4” x 9.85” - smaller than a Champ but a bit deeper
    - weighs 14.5 kg | 31.9lbs

I got one a few years back that I gave to a friend to use for recording, and never really checked out its capabilities for jazz. I'll be testing it out to see what it can do as a clean amp for low-volume jazz, in addition to its functionality as a little blues & rock screamer.

Attached Images Attached Images What's the smallest tube amp that you really like?-koch-se6-black-silver-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 02-22-2018 at 07:28 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Victoria champ is fabulous in the 12" cab too ...
    Pine cab super light

I like the Fender pro junior too

User Info Menu

Another contender...
    Fender just came out with a tweed Pro Jr. IV. 15 watts of Champ-like tone through a 10" Jensen P10R speaker.
    Hmmm! Very interesting!

User Info Menu

The Pro Jr is a sweet little amplifier. I sold mine to a touring rock guitarist who used it nightly all around the USA--and recorded albums with it. He mic'ed the amp into the PA system the band toured with when they were playing festivals. For clubs, he just banged away into the house.

He used the amplifier with a '62 Gibson SG reissue to get a fat, Marshall tone--with great success.

I used the amp, of course, for jazz and blues.

Both of us just loved the amp.

User Info Menu

Love my tweed Princeton clone for jazz. The cab has a 10” alnico Altec and an 8” ceramic Jensen. Nails the sound. I run it with a 5751 preamp tube and a 6v6 for a squishier attack or a 6L6 for a slightly firmer sound.

User Info Menu

I have a VHT Special 6 Ultra and it a nice amp for little money but my Mesa TA-15 is smaller and way more versatile.
    Thanks John

User Info Menu

Don’t you need a cab for the Mesa?

User Info Menu

I own two Fender Deluxe Reverb Amps a 65 & 68 models love them both.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Not jazz, so forgive me stepping a little outside the box, but the sounds from the 3 watt 1957 Champ on the Layla recordings still send shivers down my spine (a Princeton was used on quite a few tracks, but I wouldn't call that a "small" amp compared to the Champ)

I really don't really care whether its Duane's Les Paul or Eric's strat, but their combined sounds blew me away when I listened to the album for the first time, and they have marked me for life when it comes to this particular musical style. Whenever I have to enter into that vibe, those sounds are always in my head and it's a major battle not to subconsciously drift towards them.

User Info Menu

The Fender C600 can sound nice with a bit work on it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Valdez

Oooh, nice modification!

I actually think the C600 is pretty great as-is. I keep one in my living room, I use it often.

User Info Menu

Since no one mentioned Gibson's version of the Champ...their GA5, I'll drop a dime with two of their reissues of several years ago.

GA5 Reissue 'Les Paul' Amp. 5 watts of killer tone.

...And
    GA5 Reissue Les Paul Ltd Ed. 'Plexiglass' (I call it my 'mini-Plexi since it roars like a baby Marshall)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Since no one mentioned Gibson's version of the Champ...their GA5, I'll drop a dime with two of their reissues of several years ago.
    I had a GA-5 from the Skylark era for a bit. Bought it to refurb it and sell it. The chassis was a serious rats nest, but man, the sound of the 8-inch speaker in that slightly oversized cab sounded great for home practice—not boomy in the least, which is frequently a problem for me and my amps—but not overly tinny either.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Valdez

Looking good !

I have the Gretsch g5222 which is the C600 in a different party dress. Love that little amp. For $190 Can it was the best amp purchase I've made. I use it all the time. Sounds great with my Tele. I did clip a couple of resistors to remove the tone stack and negative feedback and replaced the grill cloth with burlap. Even with the weeny little 6 " speaker it still has plenty of bass and sounds very 50s old school.

User Info Menu

When I was a pro I used a couple of Fender Juniors miked up and took just one on jazz gigs but didn't need anything like that much volume, so I borrowed and subsequently bought a Laney LC15R which I love, fat but clean, a bit 'Midnight Blue' era Kenny Burrell with my es350t (the sound without the talent). Sounds great with both ends of a Telecaster too.

User Info Menu

As for nice, cheap Champ inspired amp, I very much like this one, with a very colourful name (and extremely tacky labels for Volume, Gain and Tone, as you can see).
    It is a 5 watt valve head, switchable down to 3watts. Single channel: volume, tone and gain. It has a single 6l6 in the power ?amp and a single 12AX7 preamp. It's not very light, but it's manageable. I pair it with an 8' speaker, but I'm sure with a 12' it would be even better!

What's the smallest tube amp that you really like?-29m6bfo-jpgWhat's the smallest tube amp that you really like?-bwm-kong-rear-jpgWhat's the smallest tube amp that you really like?-bwm-kong-front-jpg

Edit: the photos are obviously not mine, but you can see where they come from.

User Info Menu

My friend built this Fender Deluxe with a 12" speaker and is 12 watt's
    Has vocal and instrument inputs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

63’ Brown Princeton What's the smallest tube amp that you really like?-c8d0711c-89b2-4107-a51a-c7982a35e40e-jpg
    Last edited by 999369; 02-25-2018 at 08:48 PM.

User Info Menu

70’s Princeton What's the smallest tube amp that you really like?-dd4efb99-d416-4b90-806d-1a5041bcbf71-jpg

User Info Menu

50’s Gibson BR-9 What's the smallest tube amp that you really like?-c389b306-ce0e-47f1-958e-c1fb15532002-jpgWhat's the smallest tube amp that you really like?-9e99d383-cf41-4890-83a0-800c549049a8-jpg

User Info Menu

Indeed, the Pro Jr IV is a great amp. Just bought one! Maaan, what a sound!
    I also have a 6V6 Marshall, so had to get an EL84 Fender...!
    Still, a 4W DIY tube amp is all I need in my apartment.
    For gigs, I have now four 15W:
    - Ibanez TSA15 head (6V6)
    - SCX2 head (6V6)
    - Marshall Studio 15 (6V6)
    - Pro Junior (EL84)
    Can run in stereo for the right gig.
    Great but different sound from all of them... nearly matched voice 3 or 4 from X2 with Pro Jr, except Pro is still better growling...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guitarmikey
    Indeed, the Pro Jr IV is a great amp. Just bought one! Maaan, what a sound!
    I also have a 6V6 Marshall, so had to get an EL84 Fender...!
    Still, a 4W DIY tube amp is all I need in my apartment.
    For gigs, I have now four 15W:
    - Ibanez TSA15 head (6V6)
    - SCX2 head (6V6)
    - Marshall Studio 15 (6V6)
    - Pro Junior (EL84)
    Can run in stereo for the right gig.
    Great but different sound from all of them... nearly matched voice 3 or 4 from X2 with Pro Jr, except Pro is still better growling...
    The Marshall Studio 15 is a remarkable amp, capable of a wide variety of tones. I gigged with mine both as a primary and back-up amp, as well as utilizing its "studio" aspect. I very foolishly lent it out, never to be seen again. Hang on to yours!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 999369
    63’ Brown Princeton What's the smallest tube amp that you really like?-c8d0711c-89b2-4107-a51a-c7982a35e40e-jpg
    brown princeton! yeah man...no hotrod, but beautiful

cheers