The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 73

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    Ah. Sorry. Some friends of mine are just headed back from London where they went for the holidays. Someone should create a pipeline of gear back and forth. Back in the day, friends would specialize in books and blue jeans, books that were somehow not available from publishers on one side of the pond or the other, and they'd fund entire vacations on the markets' ability to support them. P.G.Wodehouse had books published by Brit publishers that are unattainable here. A suitcase of books either way and a two week vacation for the efforts.

A little Champ in a flight case...

David
    Hmmmm..... There's a thought.

For instance, I did think I'd died and gone to heaven when I walked into Rudy's in NYC. There is nothing remotely like it in the UK.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

But things do come up. A friend of mine has an old PR silverface that sounds great, just need to be more patient....

User Info Menu

What's the smallest tube amp that you really like?-vintage-47-1-jpg

Yes, Vintage 47, super light and loud enough, 10 inch speaker on this one, but their oahu suitcase is 8 I believe. I don't know cooler looking amps IMO, but consider only if you're not clean CLEAN tone fanatic.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    These look incredible for the money.

They are!

User Info Menu

Fender Vibro Champ XD 5w 1x8

User Info Menu

I'll second the THR10C.... (even though its not tubes.)

5C3 Tweed Deluxe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    $$ boutique, but no contest..fits your speaker size 8" weight (14lbs) and power(5w) parameters...and sounds great doing it...

swart space tone

Attachment 48923

Attachment 48924

swart amplifier co - Space Tone 6V6se all tube amplifier

cheers

ps- swart has a bunch of variations on the theme..so check out all their other small sized models too
    These look very interesting, I'm also looking for a small tube amp. In another thread someone mentioned, that Swart amps sound would break early. Is it so? Are they good for jazz or are these going more to blues in sound?

User Info Menu

What a great list!

I haven't had the Thr10c out of the practice room -- maybe I'll give it a try.
    The DV Mark Little Jazz has been my go-to for a while now, at least for my quiet art gallery duo gigs.

Fender Pro Jr, Vibrochamp XD, Champ 600 are all on my short list. I'm not quite up for spending boutique $$$ on this idea.

I believe I'll run around the local pawn shops and guitar shops this afternoon to see if I find anything interesting . . .

User Info Menu

Laney Cub8 or Cub10 any good? Perhaps with a speaker swap?

User Info Menu

I've had a little Monoprice 5w for over a year now and it's been a great little amp. Some people claim it's a repackaged Laney Cub 8, but I have no idea if that's true. It does the tube thing very well. For the record, I also have a THR 10C, which is a great little amp and certainly more versatile, but the Monoprice has a little more warmth and depth. Even though it's quite a loud little amp, it does break up pretty early, so clean headroom could be an issue. They are crazy cheap, on sale now for $89.

5-Watt, 1x8 Guitar Combo Tube Amplifier with Celestion Speaker - Monoprice.com

My cheap bedroom setup.

User Info Menu

I am very happy with my VHT Special 6. One 6v6 and one 12ax7, with volume and tone knobs. It’s well made and a great platform for trying different tubes. I think I settled on Electro Harmonix for both, and love the clear sound and the clean headroom is impressive. WAY better sounding than the Champion 600 or the 5 watt Epiphone to my ears.
    However, my full hollow laminate archtop doesn’t sound great with it. It sounds boxy and not real articulate. For my solid and semihollow guitars, though, it’s honestly fantastic!

Access Denied

User Info Menu

I had an Epiphone Valve Jr (5W) that was awesome. Wish I hadn't sold it.

They're readily available used for about $100. 1 knob, nice warm tube tone that's pretty clean up until about 11 o'clock, really loud for the size. Great bedroom amp. Also an excellent base for modding if you're into that kind of thing.

User Info Menu

Last Tube Amp I owned was a Fender Champ into an external Speaker with a 6W6 to run hotter and I still usedan attenuator with it ...lol.

I like to play like the Guitarist inside your Stereo which is quiet.

Coolest low wattage Amp I ' ve played was the Carr Mercury which has gorgeous cleans ...smooth Carlton type Overdrive and goes down from 8 Watts to about 1/10 watt.

User Info Menu

-Fender's black- & silverface vibrochamps
    -Laney with one 6v6 , did not like the el84 amps at all
    -Joyo tweed champ copy, mine still works daily, sounds good,
    and therefore recommended

be happy
    woodpecker

User Info Menu

Trace Elliot Velocette, if you can find one.

User Info Menu

A little champ style amp. The Victoria 518 is terrific sounding amp.

Having said that, the Vox MV50 Clean with the matching 8" or 12" cab might just surprise you. It'll exceed your expectation in both smallness and tube goodness!

User Info Menu

So Thursday I went around town and did a little amp shopping and came home with a Fender Pro Junior III. It fits the bill pretty nicely for what I wanted -- a small gigging tube amp. It's a little bigger than what I was originally hoping for, but the 15 watts power makes it a lot more useful than a 5 watter. This amp is new, but had been sitting in the shop for a year or more, so I got a $50 discount

I took it out for a 4 hour gig last night with my new 175 and had a blast. It sounds just great -- exactly the tone I was looking for. I used a Digitech Polara for reverb. Got my tone dialed in quick and easy and didn't think about it all night.

The Pro Junior is a loud little amp. I had amp volume set under 3 and tone at 4, with the guitar volume down around 4 and tone around 8. With the amp volume under 3 and the guitar volume all the way up, it's impressively loud. The amp sounds really good at quiet volumes, but it can blow the doors down too!

The amp was fairly hissy when I first got it home, but a 5751 and 12ay7 tube swap took care of that. I'm very happy with the Pro Junior -- my only minor concern is that it runs the tubes really hot, but I guess that's just the way they make 'em.

So the Pro Junior with the 175 is my new gig set up. Best sound I've ever had.

User Info Menu

My Pro Jr was one of my favorite amps...just perfect.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guido5
    I love my Lil' Dawg Wonderdawg. A single channel hybrid of blakface deluxe and super reverb circuits with a lovely mid control that fits in a nice princeton 12" cab. A warm set of JJ tubes and a Weber speaker finish a sweet package...
    Howdy neighbor, I also have a Wonderdawg and live nearby! Cheers.

User Info Menu

My favorite small amp was my blackface Fender Vibrochamp...followed by my early (1991?) Fender Pro Jr. (with the blue frame alnico magnet Eminence OEM speaker).

User Info Menu

The Fender Pro Junior is a great little amp with the right tubes and speaker. Played one for many years.

Currently I use a Fender 5C3 clone with Octal tube preamp stage, and a brownface 6G2 Princeton clone with a 15" weber.
    I favour the 5C3 for lower volume stuff, the 6G3 seems to cut through in a band situation a little better and handles more volume.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hallpass
    Howdy neighbor, I also have a Wonderdawg and live nearby! Cheers.
    Heck of an amp you have there. Jim is dedicated to making wonderful amps and offering great service to back them up.

Howdy indeed! See you round the neighborhood...

User Info Menu

i talk about it a lot here, but i guess it is worth mentioning, especially for those of you struggling with small amps.

i recently got back into my ac4hw after trying to clean it up to put it up for sale. compressed air and contact cleaner and all that. while testing it out i got that same middy top boost sound that isn't my thing. as a goof, i dragged my acoustic board over to it to get a little reverb and stuff. and that's when everything changed.

fishman platinum pro eq. analog eq, boost, tuner, compressor and more in one box. i played with the knobs, and suddenly, i loved it again. i was able to scoop out some mids, use the brilliance knob to replicate the missing high cut, but some highs back, at a touch of compression and it sounded great. even usable with my archtops. with that i as my new baseline tone, i was much more successful adding overdrive and effects and all that.

so yeah, a good eq pedal. fill out the lows to negate the small box. scoop out the weirdness. or just complement the very limited tone stack with something more useful. i did this before with an eq tone job, which was good, but the fishman does so much more. sweepable mids are a big deal for me. an empress eq would be awesome at this as well.

whether or not your tiny amp is worth the investment in a good eq pedal is a different story, though. maybe you can cheap out with a graphic one, but that's up to you. i find the parametric works best in dealing with a range of guitars and amps.

ps- yes, that roland ac33 is killer too, eq or not.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    My favorite small amp was my blackface Fender Vibrochamp...followed by my early (1991?) Fender Pro Jr. (with the blue frame alnico magnet Eminence OEM speaker).
    I remember back in the 90's finding a silverface Vibrochamp at a pawn shop for around $90. I was intrigued, but I didn't know anything about cool tube amps back then -- I let it pass -- as that was big $$ for me back then. And mostly I was looking for bigger power rock stuff!

But that sweet little amp still haunts me to this day! A missed opportunity for sure.

woulda shoulda coulda

User Info Menu

For some reason I don't like small tube amps.

For jazz, I'd rather use a good solid state amp any day of the week.