The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 87

User Info Menu

Guys, great to read you. It gives nice advice. Really.

Anyway, the power of this amp his known and works for some of us. Some could gig with it. Weight and size can also be important.

I come back to my first question : what will be the difference between these two amps (the little jazx and the 12) if they only differs on the speaker. If one wants to buy one of these two, on which point will he decide?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hello. As interesting as numbers are, has anyone actually tried one of these amps?

Thanks, Mark

User Info Menu

I tried both the DV Little Jazz & the 12. Quiet amps. I was getting some bad cabinet vibration/buzz with the 12. The Little Jazz responded better with the low frequencies. I roll my tone down to 1 and I use various alternate tunings that generate low frequencies. I liked the Little Jazz for that application. I used a Epiphone ES175 premium at GC.

Anyone use the DI out on these? I am wondering how the DI out signal would be with the volume all the way up on the the master?

Seems like one would have it maxed out for monitoring on stage.

User Info Menu

Any new comments? It's still on sale for $349 on MF. I am almost of a mind to buy one at a local GC and try it out for a week. It seems a bit under powered for a 12 perhaps. It seems it was cool with an 8, but the 12 is an afterthought if it uses the same electronics. I prefer a 12" though, so maybe I'll try it.

On another note, I ordered a Kustom PA50. A tiny PA speaker for under $100. I will do a post on it....

User Info Menu

Doc, I A/B'd it against the new version Fender Rumble 100w bass amp with a 12" speaker, and took home the Rumble. Very light, and sounds sweet with my Holy Grail reverb. Plenty of power for gigging, plus can get LOUD, so I am usually turned down to 3 or 4. Yes, the DV comes with reverb, but I just liked the set up of the Fender more. However, I do seem to be a minority here on that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Headshot
    Doc, I A/B'd it against the new version Fender Rumble 100w bass amp with a 12" speaker, and took home the Rumble. Very light, and sounds sweet with my Holy Grail reverb. Plenty of power for gigging, plus can get LOUD, so I am usually turned down to 3 or 4. Yes, the DV comes with reverb, but I just liked the set up of the Fender more. However, I do seem to be a minority here on that.

This seems like a good option. Especially if one could get it for closer to $200 than $299 on sale someplace. I do have a TC Hall of Fame pedal so that solves the reverb issue.

The clean headroom I find really attractive. Do tell me more..... : )

PS... the 100 watt Fender Rumble is $275 on a couple of Ebay websites. The price is attractive.
    Last edited by docdosco; 05-12-2016 at 12:51 AM.

User Info Menu

Doc, I really wanted a nice jazz amp. I looked at Henriksen, Quilter, etc., and finally saw the DV. I thought I found my amp...small, light, nice sounds...might be what I need. But then a buddy was picking up a Rumble 500 for his bass, and of course I wanted to try out his amp, but his bass was in pieces getting new pickups and wiring, so...I took his les Paul and plugged in. Wow...have try the 100w amp. I went online and looked at specs, and jazz amps and the Rumble were pretty much identical. Both have 4 equalizer knobs...Bass/Low, 2 Mids, and Treble/High. The jazz amps have reverb, the Rumble has 3 awesome tonal buttons. The Vintage button really takes you to old "tone almost off" land, the Contour cuts Bass, and of course Bright does bright. The other kicker is the Fender has an Overdrive feature that if dialed right gives great Scofield-type crunch.

So, what was the main difference between the jazz amps and the Rumble? About $800...most of the jazz amps were $1100-1200...I paid $280 out the door for the Fender. AND carried it and a gig bag with 1 hand while carrying 2 other gig bags in the other. Can't do that with my twin Reverb...lol.

User Info Menu

I bought the DV Mark Jazz12 6 months ago and I've done 4 gigs with it, one was a wedding in a room that held 500 guests and I wasn't going though a PA. It was just fine and I still had headroom on the volume knob. It always amazes me the number of people that will give opinions and criticize a piece of equipment they never owned or played..I used to own a Quilter MicroPro 200 which I ran though a Quilter 1x12 cab and it sounded great, but the DV Mark Jazz 12 is more taylored towards a Jazz tone. I love the lower mids and quite honestly sounds a lot like a Henriksen.
    Last edited by arnie65; 08-16-2016 at 03:03 PM.

User Info Menu

i see above you talk about using a bass amp for jazz.... it's quite common in fact .... and the results can be very pleasing..as usually bass amps are higher power so more headroom and the tone is geared for a fat bassy tone...

i also work as a session bassist for an Artist here ...and have a nice bass rig .... and just for kicks took it to an afternoon jazz guitar gig ...and it sounded great ... i usually use a hand wired princeton clone with a 12" at moment for jazz guitar.

btw my bass rig is an SWR headlight amp head (400w with tube preamp ..enhancer , 3 band full parametric eq and a compressor .so real nice tone .....and the cab was a Mark bass( same company that makes the DV mark jazz amp) 1x12 new yorker cab (which has a neo 12 and tweeter) the whole rig is compact and weighs a mere 15 kg in total so labout same weight and size to my princeton clone

but for me for jazz guitar tone i prefer my princeton clone but would gig the bass rig if i ever had issues with the Princeton clone

so yes experiment with bass amps it may just be the tone you looking for and technology leaps have made bass amps as powerful and still light weight and compact as most guitar amps ....

pic below is the rig i used BUT obviously with my tele using only neck pickup
    DV Mark Jazz 12-20160520_175812-jpg

User Info Menu

How does a DV jazz (little or 12") compare tone and powerwise to a 90s era Polytone MB II? Thanks again.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ffej
    How does a DV jazz (little or 12") compare tone and powerwise to a 90s era Polytone MB II? Thanks again.

To me, louder, with more bass and mids.

Cheers,
    Arnie..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ffej

To me, that's the question....and I'm glad someone asked....if I were looking for a living room only amp-which I am - would this work at low volume only ? Would it do justice to an L-5 ?

This way I could get new.

User Info Menu

Thinking seriously about getting a DV Mark 12 Jazz. Anyone have one of these? I would love to read about your experience with it. Thanks.

User Info Menu

I use little jazz and sounds great. I tried the 12 and was great too. Ideal for little and medium gigs. And you can take it anywhere! Little weight. Buy it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Like the post above, I have a Little Jazz, but no experience with the 12. I was interested in portability, since I already have a RE Stealthl 12. I have played my Little Jazz through the Stealth 12, but mostly I just use the amp as is. It sounds great, and I get compliments on the sound. The 12 may sound a little better with the bigger speaker, but I can't say, as I've never seen one in person. If I needed an amp with a 12" speaker, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the DV Jazz 12. DV Mark seems to be mostly marketed towards rockers, as is Quilter, but their jazz models are fine amps with great tone, which I can't say for Quilter.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info guys, but now I'm kind of torn between the 12 and the little. Anyway, looks like I'm going to own a Mark jazz of some kind. New stuff is such fun.
    Thanks again.

User Info Menu

try the quilter mp 8

19 lbs --great sound for

I actually have the 12 and it's great. If you're looking for loads of headroom to cut it with horn players and over loud drummers (are there any other kind?) then you may be left wanting but for any other application I would highly recommend it. I have a para eq which makes it even sweeter but before I got my hands on that the amp sounded really nice with all controls at 12 o'clock.

The only things that pissed me off about it really were the slightly loud fan and the crappy Aux jack. (The auxillary jack's volume is determined by the device you are introducing to the amp rather than by the amp volume knob itself) perhaps this is something that would occur to you anyway but to cut a long story short, make sure the volume on your device is at a reasonable level before plugging it in or you may have an annoying and needlessly expensive trip to your tech guy...

Cheers
    Bobby

User Info Menu

I have the DV Mark Micro50 that I play through a 4 Ohm 10" speaker and other times through an 8 Ohm 12" speaker. I also like to use it for recording clips for study groups here. I really like this amp head, which is identical to the electronics in the mini-jazz and larger jazz amp by DV Mark. I concur that the aux input and headphone jack are gimpy. I don't mind the lack of input gain (though I'd like that) because lots of amp aux inputs are set up that way. It seems to me, though, that these two jacks are a little fragile physically. They don't seem to grip the plug as solidly as I'd like. But otherwise, I love this head and I can only imagine the combo amp based on it is excellent as well.

I played for decades through a variety of Polytones, and I find I can dial in a Polytone feel with this head. I had this and the Quilter Mini 101 side by side for several months and ended up selling the Quilter.

User Info Menu

Just want to respond to the comment about the Quilter isn't very good for Jazz. So I'm 60 years of age and a working musician (Jazz,Blues,Pop,Gospel,etc.) I play in many situations and have owned just about every amp imaginable including Fender,Marshall,Boogie,Dumble, Lab Amps, Hiwatt,Carvin,etc......
    I just say this as a reference point. My Quilter 1x8" combo works in every situation from archtop, flat top, solid body, even synth guitar.
    If I need to be louder I just add a small 1x12" cab for bigger rooms. I have yet to find any amp that can match it's light weight, portability, and tone that makes me as happy!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Just want to respond to the comment about the Quilter isn't very good for Jazz. So I'm 60 years of age and a working musician (Jazz,Blues,Pop,Gospel,etc.) I play in many situations and have owned just about every amp imaginable including Fender,Marshall,Boogie,Dumble, Lab Amps, Hiwatt,Carvin,etc......
    I just say this as a reference point. My Quilter 1x8" combo works in every situation from archtop, flat top, solid body, even synth guitar.
    If I need to be louder I just add a small 1x12" cab for bigger rooms. I have yet to find any amp that can match it's light weight, portability, and tone that makes me as happy!
    While I preferred the DVMark Micro 50, I had no complaints at all about the sound and performance of the Quilter Mini 101. It lacked some features that mattered to me: reverb, auxiliary line in, direct line out, traditional EQ controls. The DV Micro 50 sounded just as good to me over the whole range (I could A-B them with the same guitar and cabinet) and had those features that I wanted.

But the Quilter gave up nothing when it came to power, tone, and quality build. Excellent head.

User Info Menu

Been using the DVMark Little Jazz for a year now (has the new silent fan!!!), like it very much. However I am not a gigging musician, when I was, I was using Fender Blackface Showman with two cabinets . . . a very different beast.

User Info Menu

I bought Lawson's Quilter mini, hoping for a good sound, and ended up selling it. I could not get an acceptable (to me) sound out of it. I then bought the Quilter Mini101 reverb, and could not get an acceptable sound out of it, either. I tried for a long time, with both, and returned the reverb model. The seller said they were getting lots of returns on them. I ended up with the DV Mark Micro50, and still have it. I don't use it a lot, mostly because my Little Jazz is more portable and sounds about as good, but I've held on to it. I have no doubt some people can get a sound they like from a Quilter, but I'm not one. I have not tried any Quilter combos, however, so I have nothing to say about those.

As for gigging with any amp mentioned, all I can say is that there are gigs and there are gigs. The choice of amp depends on the gig. I think the Little Jazz or the Micro50 could be used for many gigs. I was participating in a blues jam for some time, which I pretty much abandoned because it was so loud, and the music was mostly rock, not really what I would call blues, but the Little Jazz was plenty loud enough for that. I never turned it up above half volume, and the guitar volume was seldom above 3/4, and I was as loud as anyone there, many with big Fender amps. The Little Jazz can get very loud if you want it to, but it does not do distortion. It is always completely clean unless I put an overdrive pedal in front of it. I suspect the Jazz 12 would be about the same, but more so.

User Info Menu

Have to completely but respectfully disagree, the Quilter excels at Jazz... nice clean clear sound nice punch , crispness--great reverb---

Tried the DV mark 12 @ GC a couple of times, sounded vanilla to me and bassy with no character to it --reminded me of the old polytone amps if you like that sound.

MP HD 12: is what I am using... punch and crispness that I did not find elsewhere.

(A lot of Guys in the NYC area use the quilter for Jazz gigs.... talk with Lou at GuitarsNJazz --he sent a vid of an archtop player in NJ playing a gig...just a great clean sound...very impressed with an off the cuff Iphone video)

...to each his own I guess.... amps are subjective as are the archtops we play.....!
    Last edited by jazzimprov; 11-21-2017 at 08:41 PM.

User Info Menu