The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It sounds ok... I had DV Mark micro 50 for a while, which is the 2 channel version, was underwhelm and sent it back. Very bassy tone, not touch sensitive, doesn't cut through with a band. I was using it with a tele, which is usually on brighter side, but not with this amp. Probably better suited for solo jazz guitar playing IMO.

User Info Menu

my be good for solo or duo....?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    my be good for solo or duo....?
    yeah, that's what I mean.

User Info Menu

I have the original Micro50, and I don't find it that bassy. You can certainly crank up the bass, but there is a control knob that goes both up and down. The speaker cab has a big influence on the sound and the amount of bass, mid, and treble. I'm not a huge fan of crunch channels on any amp, and if this version had been available I would have bought it. I think the jazz version is probably almost identical to the Little Jazz amp section. The Little Jazz is a great-sounding amp, very Polytone-ish, and everyone who hears mine comments on how good it sounds, not just for a small amp, but really good. I seldom take my Micro50 out, because the RE speaker cab I have is bigger and heavier than the Little Jazz, and doesn't sound that much better. But of course everyone's taste is different, and thus there are lots of amps available, to meet all different tastes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I have the original Micro50, and I don't find it that bassy. You can certainly crank up the bass, but there is a control knob that goes both up and down. The speaker cab has a big influence on the sound and the amount of bass, mid, and treble. I'm not a huge fan of crunch channels on any amp, and if this version had been available I would have bought it. I think the jazz version is probably almost identical to the Little Jazz amp section. The Little Jazz is a great-sounding amp, very Polytone-ish, and everyone who hears mine comments on how good it sounds, not just for a small amp, but really good. I seldom take my Micro50 out, because the RE speaker cab I have is bigger and heavier than the Little Jazz, and doesn't sound that much better. But of course everyone's taste is different, and thus there are lots of amps available, to meet all different tastes.
    I played it through 1x8, and 4x12 cabs. Sounded too bassy through either. But even more importantly not touch sensitive enough. For my taste, of course.

But if it's comparable to Polytone, than it makes sense. I'm the opposite of Polytone, lo-fi octal tube amp is my Holy Grail jazz tone... so everything I comment on this take with grain of salt.

User Info Menu

But if anything, no XLR out option? That's a deal breaker for me even if I liked the sound. How can you not include that on the amp with so little power?

User Info Menu

My Micro50 has an XLR out. I don't know about the one in this video.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    My Micro50 has an XLR out. I don't know about the one in this video.
    The new models based on the Micro50 have removed the XLR out. The Micro50 Jazz and the new Micro50 II both have lost the XLR in favor of the effects loop. Evidently (I"m guessing) there isn't room for both? The effects send, they say, can be used as a direct line out, but of course it isn't a low-impedance balanced line out. For me, the DV Mark Micro50 always won out over the Quilter Mini 101 due to the auxiliary line in and the XLR out. The DV Mark just lost one of those points!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    The new models based on the Micro50 have removed the XLR out. The Micro50 Jazz and the new Micro50 II both have lost the XLR in favor of the effects loop. Evidently (I"m guessing) there isn't room for both? The effects send, they say, can be used as a direct line out, but of course it isn't a low-impedance balanced line out. For me, the DV Mark Micro50 always won out over the Quilter Mini 101 due to the auxiliary line in and the XLR out. The DV Mark just lost one of those points!
    Yep. I had Micro 50 II, which was advertised as having XLR on Musician Friend, but didn't. They were cool to refund my money though, and even paid for the shipping.

User Info Menu

Last edited by kris; 11-19-2017 at 03:14 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Yep. I had Micro 50 II, which was advertised as having XLR on Musician Friend, but didn't. They were cool to refund my money though, and even paid for the shipping.
    That's cool. What kills me, though, is that they didn't correct their product description!

Weirder still: DV Mark hasn't got the Micro 50 II on their website. Just the Micro 50 (original + variants). But if you bring up the manual for the Micro 50 series, it has the Micro 50 II described.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    That's cool. What kills me, though, is that they didn't correct their product description!

Weirder still: DV Mark hasn't got the Micro 50 II on their website. Just the Micro 50 (original + variants). But if you bring up the manual for the Micro 50 series, it has the Micro 50 II described.
    I was thinking the same thing! To arrange the return, I called them and said your description is wrong, and the guy apologized to me and said, yeah, it's totally our fault, so sorry about that, and blah blah... But I guess he forgot to send the memo

User Info Menu

I picked up the DV Mark Micro 50 head, older version with the XLR out. It's a neat little amp and I use it in my studio direct XLFR out to a mixer. The newer version (2) does not have the XLR out and that's a big loss IMHO.
    The Micro Jazz has no XLR out but does have an FX Loop. The Jazz circuit sounds pretty much the same as the Little Jazz combo, which I also have and really like.
    In my experience, DV Mark makes very good products they are worth testing out if you are looking for a small lightweight amor head that sounds pretty good.

User Info Menu

I've been playing through my Micro Jazz 50/Buscarino Chameleon cab setup for about two months now. It's almost certainly the happiest (and definitely the most comfortable) I've ever been with an amp. I find it very natural, very easy to dial in and the sound is very pleasing. I've been playing it almost exclusively with no pedals: just guitar, cable, amp. I'm a little concerned that I may not be able to take the cab with me when we move to Mexico permanently in August but the head is definitely coming and I'm hoping to pick up a Little Jazz as well when we get there.

User Info Menu

I bought it to play in trio ( sax-guit-upright bass). With cab equipped with Vintage 30, my Ibanez with Classic 57 at the neck sounds very clean an loud enough volume settled at 5 . Light, no noise, exactly what I expected.