The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 50

User Info Menu

Hi All,

I know there are several threads on this. My favorite tuner was a Korg which was not fancy at all, all you had was an on/off switch which did not do ANYTHING ELSE. I loved it but lost and Korg discontinued it.
    My problem with the clip tuners: assembled with 1 multifunctioning button which is a terrible idea when you are on stage.
    So my question: who knows a cheap clip tuner which that I switch on and pretty sure it is always in the same mode? (or if there is other function e.g. ukulele, bass guitar etc tuning it has separate button for it)
    I found one online called ENO ET-37 - I can see it has 2 buttons. But I donnow it works well or not.
    Tks,
    sorry I hope you understand what I d like to say

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I use the Planet Waves/D'Addario one designed by Ned Steinberger. Cheap, small, unobtrusive and pretty accurate.

User Info Menu

get yourself a snark..the basic model...

press on, and it's ready for guitar....decent accuracy... and inexpen$ive

ORIGINAL CLIP ON | SNARK

cheers

User Info Menu

I keep a few Snarks around since they are cheap. They tend to eat batteries, are somewhat fragile, and I’ve had one fail, so I always have a backup tuner. The Snarks I have don’t seem to be quite as precise as some other tuner, but with any tuner I feel I should dial in the final tuning by ear anyway.

Sorry, Snark, not shark
    Yes, never had it hand but seems to be fragile, very bad design at its neck: obviously an easily broken, tiny stuff. Would never buy.

On stage while others r playing the clip tuners start to struggle: my old Korg worked well proven only

It was Korg pitchclip 2.
    The simplest the best.
    But Korg thought we donneed it so it has been discontinued unfortunately

John,
    what happens if I accidentally push its button 2 times or push it too long?
    tks

User Info Menu

I have a Snark received as a gift, and it works ok. It's not nearly as fragile as you seem to think. I also have a Korg Sledgehammer Pro. It's more accurate than the Snark, a little bigger and easier to see. For serious tuning I use a Peterson strobe tuning app on my phone, connected with the clip-on pickup sold as an accessory with it. Not cheap, but it's very accurate, and very easy to use once it's all connected. I use it for setting intonation, and for when I need really accurate tuning. Then I put it away and use the Korg. You can change the settings on it, but you have to intentionally try. One switch, turn it one direction and it's on/off, turn it the other direction and it changes display modes, but the first click just shows you the mode you're in, and you have to click it again to actually change modes. The only change is the display mode, not the tuning mode. You can switch between strobe and the standard clip-on display mode. I think it's possible to change the reference frequency, but I don't even know how. It's a chromatic tuner, so there is no need for different tuning modes for different instruments, it shows you the note, whatever it is. Really, I think almost any available clipon tuner does what you want. Some are just more accurate than others.

User Info Menu

Every one of the 3 snarks I had broke on the stem They worked ok before they broke but... They broke. I bought some of the Reverb ones last year none broke and they work.

User Info Menu

Not as cheap as you're looking for probably but there's a polytune clip-on tuner now which would at least have the guitar focus you're hoping for.

Sent from my SM-J320ZN using Tapatalk

Ok, Thank you. Now I finally ordered a cherub WST - 2046
    It has 3 buttons on the front and the middle is only to switch on/off: so if I only touch that I cant go wrong. It was 3.75 USD with shipping from alie (not fake). The same in amazon: Amazon.com: Cherub WST - 2046GCM Metro Tuner Clip Color LCD Display for Chromatic Guitar Bass Ukulele Violin Tuner Golden: Toys & Games

Just a bit more expensive

muhaha. Chinese domestic version is of course silly gold. This painting just made it looking even cheaper than it is
    But from ali I could get a 'normal' color - at least it is white.
    Last edited by Ymel; 11-17-2017 at 12:49 AM. Reason: forgot link

User Info Menu

TC electronics ended my search. Not super cheap but it works!

User Info Menu

TC electronics-it is the best.

User Info Menu

Another vote for the TC electronics Polytune clipon. I got one a few days ago and it's great, been using the Snarks and IntelliTune for many years but the TC electronics has it all over those others.

User Info Menu

I see that Peterson Stroboclip for about $80 is the only one worth buying, everything else is just junk. It also works on tubas or kazoos, not just guitars and banjos. There might even be a more expensive one that is surely better.

User Info Menu

The discontinued Korg, was it this one ?

Clip Tuners - which one to choose?-korg_pc1a-jpg

Still available for less than ten bucks here in Japan. I wonder why it's discontinued where you are.
    I recommend it to all my students and have two myself.
    Best bang for the buck, i think. It can have the display upside down too, and yes, only one button !

Yes, the TC Polytune pitch is great, except that it shuts off automatically after three minutes.
    Not very useful if one string goes off in the middle of a tune.

No go for me, i sold it and bought a half pedal size Boss tuner, always on, and blazing fast.

No regrets, not one second, and anyway, polyphonic tuning is not that useful, not at this stage, imo.
    When it will be able to recognize any pitch of any chord and be able to say whether it's tuned chromatically (in equal temper for now!), i will reconsider.

User Info Menu

first I had intellifexes, not fragile, but they are hungry for batteries
    then a few cheap ones that broke
    now I use the Peterson clip tuner and strobotune -they tune sweeet - never going back to junk

better invest in good tuning, than sound out of on a great guitar
    there are still too many players who don't care and I hate to have to listen

so....stay tuned: always & everywhere!

looks like a peterson ad? -yesss, and I did not get paid

User Info Menu

I have the D'Addario/Planet Waves NS Micro tuner. Very discrete. I've never needed to push more than the power button.

Clip Tuners - which one to choose?-img_8648-jpg

User Info Menu

Wow! Looks like nobody uses their ears to tune anymore... sad!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    I see that Peterson Stroboclip for about $80 is the only one worth buying, everything else is just junk. It also works on tubas or kazoos, not just guitars and banjos. There might even be a more expensive one that is surely better.

I had read that one works on xylophones as well, but alas, I haven't one to confirm this... Do you know if this is true or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LtKojak
    Wow! Looks like nobody uses their ears to tune anymore... sad!

Yeah ... There is nothing like tuning a guitar loudly on stage to get an audience fired up! Sad day indeed

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    I have the D'Addario/Planet Waves NS Micro tuner. Very discrete. I've never needed to push more than the power button.
    Also the one I stuck with after trying a few other options including the Snark, Polytune, etc.
    Simple, does the job, and unlike the others it stays out of the way: I don't even remove it anymore when I put my guitar in the case.

User Info Menu

Korg Grip-On Tuner

Single button, not bad in daylight as well.

GripTune - CLIP-ON TUNER | KORG (USA)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xuoham
    The discontinued Korg, was it this one ?

Clip Tuners - which one to choose?-korg_pc1a-jpg

Still available for less than ten bucks here in Japan. I wonder why it's discontinued where you are.
    I recommend it to all my students and have two myself.
    Best bang for the buck, i think. It can have the display upside down too, and yes, only one button !

Yes, the TC Polytune pitch is great, except that it shuts off automatically after three minutes.
    Not very useful if one string goes off in the middle of a tune.

No go for me, i sold it and bought a half pedal size Boss tuner, always on, and blazing fast.

No regrets, not one second, and anyway, polyphonic tuning is not that useful, not at this stage, imo.
    When it will be able to recognize any pitch of any chord and be able to say whether it's tuned chromatically (in equal temper for now!), i will reconsider.
    I actually just bought one of those in a Guitar Center, so they may not be out of production. I don't like it - I can't find an angle/position where I can see it well, it's less responsive than the snark, and I find it less responsive and slower than other tuners.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk