The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

I know the general history somewhat on this guitar model, entry level,.... But the tone for the guitar or any other specifics?

Lead on Gibson 1966 ES-125 TDC Guitar Thoughts Comments?-00j0j_gwnplpdfksd_1200x900-jpgLead on Gibson 1966 ES-125 TDC Guitar Thoughts Comments?-00e0e_jbr9lvbfru7_1200x900-jpgLead on Gibson 1966 ES-125 TDC Guitar Thoughts Comments?-01616_7dj18z0o6go_1200x900-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

looks like a headstock break.
    expect it to have a narrow nut.
    but twin pickup P-90 Gibsons always sound good.

User Info Menu

Good call on the break. Owner just told me that. But its not the neck/headstock crack I am thinking like this photo. Seller asking $1500.
    Lead on Gibson 1966 ES-125 TDC Guitar Thoughts Comments?-crack-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    looks like a headstock break.
    expect it to have a narrow nut.
    but twin pickup P-90 Gibsons always sound good.

User Info Menu

Too much imo

User Info Menu

I have no clue on a price on vintage double pickup model. The break doesn't both me as I have a old school luthier to do the work.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    Good call on the break. Owner just told me that. But its not the neck/headstock crack I am thinking like this photo. Seller asking $1500.
    Lead on Gibson 1966 ES-125 TDC Guitar Thoughts Comments?-crack-jpg

User Info Menu

Check sold listings on ebay
    There was really clean one that sold for about the same price

User Info Menu

Why does the close-up headstock photo have different tuners than the other photos? the photos show a guitar with original parts--great for a 125tdc. (They tend to get raped for their parts to supply donor parts for upscale vintage Gibsons.) A good ES-125tdc in that condition, minus headstock break, and not in need of neck reset (MANY 125s need a reset because of the really light-duty neck joint) is a dream guitar. I don't care if Gibson intended the instrument as a beginner axe--it is THE BOMB.

An expert headstock repair does reduce the value, but it's not a deal killer. That repair looks pretty good. Have it examined by a competent repair person.

Those guitars are feather-light. They sound outstanding for any genre of music. They are killer JAZZ guitars.
    Last edited by Greentone; 10-18-2017 at 03:40 PM.

User Info Menu

Greentone,

Sorry for the confusion. The red neck guitar is just what I thought the break might have been. The actual break can be seen here. The only replaced parts according to the seller is the tuners which he claims are high end.

Lead on Gibson 1966 ES-125 TDC Guitar Thoughts Comments?-01616_7dj18z0o6go_600x450-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Why does the close-up headstock photo have different tuners than the other photos? the photos show a guitar with original parts--great for a 125dc. (They tend to get raped for their parts to supply donor parts for upscale vintage Gibsons.) A good ES-125dc in that condition, minus headstock break, and not in need of neck reset (MANY 125s need a reset because of the really light-duty neck joint) is a dream guitar. I don't care if Gibson intended the instrument as a beginner axe--it is THE BOMB.

An expert headstock repair does reduce the value, but it's not a deal killer. That repair looks pretty good. Have it examined by a competent repair person.

Those guitars are feather-light. They sound outstanding for any genre of music. They are killer JAZZ guitars.

User Info Menu

Greentone, it's not the same guitar, OP posted that as an example of what kind of break it's not...

*edit: ha, Wildcat just beat me to it...
    Last edited by Little Jay; 10-19-2017 at 04:10 AM.

User Info Menu

Pardon me if you've heard this before.

The neck-joint on those guitars (60s ES-120T, ES-125T, ES-125TC) is notorious as one of Gibson's worst. If the one you're looking at had a reset that's probably a plus. If not, get great clear pics of the bridge height and string height so you can try to figure out whether it needs a reset.

While you're at it, get pics of the first few frets with no strings, or with the strings pulled to the side, to verify no big digs or to budget for a fret job.

By 1966 the fingerboard is almost always Indian RW not Brazilian. (The bridge in that pic could be Brazilian.) That's not a sonic difference but it is a cool & price factor. If you see eight-dimensional swirls in the wood smile. If not, no surprise. The chart below is for ES-335s but it's a fair clue for the instrument you're looking at as far as they correspond.

Part of the price / value of the instrument is in original P90s and harness. Try to get pics of the bottoms of the P90s and compare with known good examples. Sonically, the P90 is an incredibly robust model and even the cheapest knockoffs often sound great . . . just know what you're getting.

As @Wintermoon notes, that guitar is going to sound pretty fine no matter what. What we're picking on is how the neck is going to feel for you and how much work it might need.

Cherchez la difference!
    Attached Images Attached Images Lead on Gibson 1966 ES-125 TDC Guitar Thoughts Comments?-es-335-feature-chart-jpg 
    Last edited by Sam Sherry; 10-18-2017 at 03:31 PM.

User Info Menu

If you are paying 4 figures for a student model guitar, get a clean one. Be patient, they are out there. The narrow nut would be a deal killer for me at that price, too.

Completed auctions on ebay are good info, but those are high bids by definition.

If the guitar is clean, and you love how it plays because you have played it, go ahead and pay street or even a little extra, but don't spend a lot of money for a guitar with issues; you always have to think resale.

User Info Menu

Back in the sixties in Kalamazoo they were building Epiphone Sorrentos side by side with the ES-125tdc, because they share the same body and neck. The Gibson got the p90 pups and the Epiphone got mini-humbuckers. Epiphone released a limited 50th anniversary 1962 reissue in 2012 with all Gibson hardware, wiring and pups. These can be had used w/hsc for well under $1000. Throw on some vintage wound p90s if you must and you'd have the same thing as an es125tdc, but cheaper and newer.

User Info Menu

Lead on Gibson 1966 ES-125 TDC Guitar Thoughts Comments?-00q0q_l39v2sznule_1200x900-jpgLead on Gibson 1966 ES-125 TDC Guitar Thoughts Comments?-00y0y_hdoe6gb1wrq_1200x900-jpgLead on Gibson 1966 ES-125 TDC Guitar Thoughts Comments?-00303_k2tn6k6hia4_1200x900-jpgLead on Gibson 1966 ES-125 TDC Guitar Thoughts Comments?-00x0x_gzwez4oliir_1200x900-jpgLead on Gibson 1966 ES-125 TDC Guitar Thoughts Comments?-00q0q_gacugjg1qxq_1200x900-jpgLead on Gibson 1966 ES-125 TDC Guitar Thoughts Comments?-00q0q_l39v2sznule_1200x900-jpgLead on Gibson 1966 ES-125 TDC Guitar Thoughts Comments?-00y0y_hdoe6gb1wrq_1200x900-jpgLead on Gibson 1966 ES-125 TDC Guitar Thoughts Comments?-00303_k2tn6k6hia4_1200x900-jpgLead on Gibson 1966 ES-125 TDC Guitar Thoughts Comments?-00x0x_gzwez4oliir_1200x900-jpgLead on Gibson 1966 ES-125 TDC Guitar Thoughts Comments?-00q0q_gacugjg1qxq_1200x900-jpg

User Info Menu

SALE Epiphone Sorrento blonde 50th Anniversary '62 | Reverb

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Back in the sixties in Kalamazoo they were building Epiphone Sorrentos side by side with the ES-125tdc, because they share the same body and neck. The Gibson got the p90 pups and the Epiphone got mini-humbuckers. Epiphone released a limited 50th anniversary 1962 reissue in 2012 with all Gibson hardware, wiring and pups. These can be had used w/hsc for well under $1000. Throw on some vintage wound p90s if you must and you'd have the same thing as an es125tdc, but cheaper and newer.

User Info Menu

Judging from the extra pictures at first glance the neck joint looks ok..... BUT: I think the top is sagging! Bridge is pretty high up, as are the pole pieces. Also there's a reflection or a scratch that suggests an unhealthy arch of the top. I would definitely NOT buy this guitar unseen solely going on pictures.

Even if the top is sagging and neck joint is loose it can still be worth saving and worth buying, but then the price can not be more than around $1000 in my opinion, because you would spend an equal amount for having it fixed.

User Info Menu

It looks like the headstock took a healthy shot on the corner and popped off the 'wing'

but what's going on on the back of the neck looks a bit alarming.
    are those dings/dents? like J said I wouldn't touch it unless it was in front of me.

Dutchbopper Guest
    When I got my ES 125 this spring I had a chance to compare a 125t and a normal 125 in the same store. I played them both through the same amp. Tone wise, the full sized 125 was so much nicer. So I'd go for a full sized 125. They are usually cheaper to boot ... For me, a no brainer.

DB