The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 40 of 40

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    I was actually very upset when I first discovered they were pinning the bridges till I found the intonation was spot on.
    They obviously have some type of system that really gets it dead on.
    My 2013 does not have a pinned bridge. I was not aware Gibson was pinning the bridge bases now.
    Roli

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You got a real winner my friend. Congrats !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Beautiful!

I've not seen a truss rod cover like that. What year is the guitar? And, of course, how does she sound?
    It is the "F" hole insignia which indicates, made in Memphis, as from 2016
    Last edited by silverfoxx; 10-07-2017 at 04:12 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    The bridge on these is pinned to the top? That seems weird.
    Quite a few guys pin their bridge base. In particular, hard players do that to prevent drift. Some jazz guys also do it once they know exactly where they want their bridge and have no plans on switching string specs.

Mostly I've seen pinned bridges on Gretsches.

User Info Menu

That is a thing of beauty! Congratulations and happy NGD. I love the blond 175's, and yours looks awesome. I have 2 175's, and love them both, a '55 with P90's, and '72, with whatever they used back then. I bought the '72 in '72, new. Nothing like the 175, that's for sure. Almost all of my favorite jazz players played them for a reason. Enjoy it!

User Info Menu

Looks beautiful! I hate to admit it, but I suffer from “Grommetophilia”.... An absurd and nonsensical attachment to the presence of rubber grommets on the upper bout. Though they serve no purpose now, I still feel as though I’m looking a beautiful woman with no eyebrows. I glad you have not acquired my disease, it can be very limiting at times

Have fun with that beauty!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yebdox
    Looks beautiful! I hate to admit it, but I suffer from “Grommetophilia”.... An absurd and nonsensical attachment to the presence of rubber grommets on the upper bout. Though they serve no purpose now, I still feel as though I’m looking a beautiful woman with no eyebrows. I glad you have not acquired my disease, it can be very limiting at times

Have fun with that beauty!
    Hmmm...I can't remember if my 1980 175 had a grommet--I think it did, and pics on the Internet support that assumption. I agree--like a bit of rubber there. Funny the things we obsess about!

User Info Menu

I personally think it looks cleaner without a grommet. To each there own. Really nice axe though period.
    Grommets do get loose and sloppy as time marches on not to mention try and get a replacement from Gibson.
    The aftermarket ones are not the same either.

User Info Menu

Just bought another Blonde from CME. The deal was just too good. I am stock piling 175's for the winter just like the squirrels.

FYI new batch arrives next Monday. More VSB and Blonde 175's.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Just bought another Blonde from CME. The deal was just too good. I am stock piling 175's for the winter just like the squirrels.

FYI new batch arrives next Monday. More VSB and Blonde 175's.
    It seems to me that the CME deals on a 175 mean essentially that you can get a new 175 for the price of a used one or even a bit less. I am not sure that one will be able to sell these at a profit (there might be a few hundred in profit for a Craigslist seller. An E-Bay or Reverb seller will break even at best), but a better deal on a 175 may never again happen.

User Info Menu

Breaking even is more than good enough for me. I have always lost money in guitar sales. I think I can always get $2K for a 175 especially a blonde.

Lowering both pickups and the poles for the e and b strings on the neck produced the even response I expected. Dropping the bridge thumb wheels made the action dreamy.

Flipped the neck pup ring around for cosmetics. Took some pics of the inside while the pickup was out. I think I’ll leave the pickguard off. The rosewood fretboard has a pretty grain
    Attached Images Attached Images CME Gibson ES-175 Natural Memphis, Flawless?-14178a18-ff24-4dda-bce7-eebf29334157-jpeg CME Gibson ES-175 Natural Memphis, Flawless?-1520439e-586f-4505-ac40-2107682aa4a7-jpeg CME Gibson ES-175 Natural Memphis, Flawless?-939c0b84-f73e-4ae0-bbd5-fdc9da7ff2c8-jpeg CME Gibson ES-175 Natural Memphis, Flawless?-1d110c1b-1949-4829-8c29-4aee4ce49f7a-jpeg CME Gibson ES-175 Natural Memphis, Flawless?-b01af953-19f6-4440-80b4-3e6be20ad309-jpeg CME Gibson ES-175 Natural Memphis, Flawless?-cb28cd6d-9a2d-40aa-a570-ecbe68548ac8-jpeg CME Gibson ES-175 Natural Memphis, Flawless?-54d9cb5c-247d-422e-b9da-a7aa524b6f91-jpeg 

This pic came out nice
    Attached Images Attached Images CME Gibson ES-175 Natural Memphis, Flawless?-352fe708-b6f1-4ca3-a98f-d620bf2c5f72-jpg 

User Info Menu

Congratulations, great axe! Why Gibson puts that neck pickup ring on backwards still puzzles me....

Personally I like the look with grommet and pick guard, that's just THE 175-look to me.

May it lift your playing to the next level!