The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 40 of 40
    Quote Originally Posted by fws6
    I used to have DAddario EJ22’s

but I have switched over to the pure nickle EPN set

have you ever tried those ?

what is the difference between these 2 types?
    is the pure nickel set just not as bright?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The pure nickel strings use pure nickel for the wrap. The others use nickel plated stainless steel. The steel wraps are brighter, nickel is somewhat warmer and darker. Not a huge difference, but a difference.

thanks, maybe I should get a set of each to try

p.s. I'm guessing the stainless last longer?

User Info Menu

Hard to say. I haven't used stainless steel strings in years. The pure nickel last for a long time, and show no real signs of wear when I change them. Nickel is a very tough metal, and is a component of most stainless steel alloys. With pure nickel, you just don't get the vanadium, chromium, iron, etc that you get in alloys. But I would hazard a guess and say that either would last about the same.

User Info Menu

BTW, what most brands call nickel are nickel-plated steel. You need to make sure it says pure nickel if you really want nickel wrapped strings. The nickel plating doesn't do much, IMO.

thanks again, where do you get yours if I may ask?

User Info Menu

Strings, Instrument Strings, Music Strings for Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Fiddle and More, sometimes from Guitar Center if they're having a good sale. The store here doesn't normally carry them, but you can order them and pick up at the store, or have them shipped to you.

User Info Menu

I wish DR made the Pure Blues in a 13-56 gauge set. Pyramid does. Optima makes these Jazz Swing roundwounds.

User Info Menu

I've used John Pearse for years on my Collings Om with great results. Only two downsides to these sets: they go dead very quickly and they tend to corrode easily, in the package, not on the guitar. I've learned to keep the new sets in a zip-lock bag to abate the corroding issue.

User Info Menu

Steel strings last longer, physically. But nickel offers a longer playing life. They are softer and easier on frets as well.

User Info Menu

Stringsandbeyond offers free shipping right now, even if you just buy one single set. So that makes it easy just to try for once ?

The epn22 (013 pure nickels) are $7,39 and well worth IMO D'Addario EPN Pure Nickel Round Wound Electric Guitar Strings

User Info Menu

Curt Mangan are pretty good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I tried the Newtone Archtop double wrap nickel strings in 12-52 on my Eastman AR805CE Archtop,
    and I like the sound and feel. One thing I notice in particular is that when you play further up the neck
    with the low 52 string, they hold their sound much better than other strings, which start to sound
    thick, dead and thunky in comparison. Must be the better flexibility from the double wrap.
    The double wrap 3rd string is a little fragile, however, so be careful on yanking on it too much when
    getting it up to pitch, as I've broken one or two more easily than with regular strings.

User Info Menu

The Newtone strings sound very good for a week or two, then they start downhill quickly. The intonation and tone start sounding bad. At least that's my experience. ISTM all the round-core strings do that to some extent, but the double-wound models go quicker. D'Addario went to the trouble of making hex-core strings for a reason, and it has probably hurt them. The strings last longer, thus fewer sales, and some people hate them for no real reason other than they are different. Personally, I'm done with round-core strings.