The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 40

User Info Menu

After using D'Aquisto Signature round nickels forever and the company folding around 6-7 yrs ago, I'm finally near the end of my stash and need a new brand. Use 13-56 on most of my guitars.

I'm thinking D'Addario's since they're readily available and cheap, or maybe John Pearse.
    I'm not super picky about strings.
    Whatcha got?

p.s. no $20 something sets or flats for me, thank you

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

John Pearse makes some great strings, and very affordable.

thanks Mr. Beaumont, I was spoiled for years because buying a box of D'Aquisto's only set me back slightly over $2 a set.
    yeah, I know, time to pay the piper....

User Info Menu

I like John Pearse strings as well. I might also suggest you take a look into the Martin Retro strings if you get a chance and want to try something different from nickel. They are quite nice, too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by artdecade
    I like John Pearse strings as well. I might also suggest you take a look into the Martin Retro strings if you get a chance and want to try something different from nickel. They are quite nice, too.
    Was just talking about those in another thread with someone. I have them on my Godin Kingpin now...I really like them, even more than the JP Pure Nickels (just a bit more mellow right out of the box, but still nice volume...makes the guitar quite enjoyable to play unplugged)

please add a good [ie; cheap] supplier
    thanks guys

User Info Menu

I used to have DAddario EJ22’s

but I have switched over to the pure nickle EPN set

have you ever tried those ?

no Frank, only D'Aquisto's since forever...

can the D'Addarios and Pearse be bought as singles as well?

I typically replace the top 3 strings before changing the whole set out later.

User Info Menu

I've been buying extra trebles from juststrings.com lately, D'Addairos. I like to replace the .012 and .016 trebles with a .013 and .017, but keep the rest of the set like a set of .012's.

I figure plain steels are pretty much plain steels.

User Info Menu

Elderly Instruments for John Pearse strings.

I've always thought the plain steels were the same b as well but when I was using Daquisto's I'd buy extra wound G's as they wear out faster than the lower 3 strings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I've been buying extra trebles from juststrings.com lately, D'Addairos. I like to replace the .012 and .016 trebles with a .013 and .017, but keep the rest of the set like a set of .012's.

I use juststrings.com as well. They have great prices and ship quickly.

I like the 12 gauge Martin Retro set with a .014 and .018 swapped in for the standard .012 and .016. It is very inexpensive when you buy their bulk strings for replacing the trebles. It is only a few dollars for twelve replacement strings.

User Info Menu

i used d'aquisto strings too!! i still have a few of their flatwound strings around..a fave

the hard part of the pure nickel round search is the 13 set...plenty of great pure nickel strings out there...but not in 13 sets

i'd recommend d'addario..they are located not too far from where d'aquisto strings was on long island ny besides..hah

here's reputable seller

D'Addario Electric Guitar Pure Nickel Jazz, .013 - .056, EPN22

cheers

ps- they also have the john pearse strings recommended ^....tho i've heard rumours that pearse strings were outsourced..maybe even to d'addario!!..i don't know

User Info Menu

I use John Pearse 12s and any plain steel for the first two, 014 and 018.

User Info Menu

I opened this thread to recommend the John Pearse Nickel wounds, but obviously there's no need.

The other rounds I've liked on my electrics are D'Addario Pure Nickel. The tone is similar but they're higher tension.

User Info Menu

I like the NYXL with the wound 3rd. As well, Ernie Ball has a wound 3rd available separtely for their Cobalts. I really like the higher output strings due to the increased definition I get. Then again, I'm uninterested in a "traditional" Jazz tone.

User Info Menu

I'm using Pyramids almost exclusively. Pure Nickel wind on a round core. I f you want a .013 set the cheapest way is to get a .010 7 string set and put the high E away.

User Info Menu

I've been using D'Addario EPN21 sets for some time, and I like them. They sound good, and are readily available, at a decent price. They also have thicker and thinner sets, and you can get singles easily. For a long time I kept changing strings - different brands, different sizes, different compositions - and it was all a waste of time and money for me. I kept going back to the D'Addario pure nickels, and now I have them on almost every guitar I own. I still have one with different strings that haven't worn out, but when I change strings on it, I'll use the EPN21s.

User Info Menu

I have the Martin Retros on my Andersen Streamline and they sound and feel great, although they may take a minute to get used to.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I really like the DR round core strings - less string tension and warm sounding. Certainly worth a try.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    I really like the DR round core strings - less string tension and warm sounding. Certainly worth a try.
    +1 for the DR Pure Blues round cores

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

ive been running these strings in 12s forever too, i just put on my last set.. i swap out the wound g for a plain because they break too easy.. so there's no more d'aquisto strings??!!

User Info Menu

I'm a big fan of Thomastik Bebops and use them in several guitars.