The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 49

User Info Menu

Hey folks,
    please post pictures of unusual sunburst finishes - anything outside of the usual Gibson-inspired centerweighted
    yellow/orange to black paintjobs ... I'm looking for inspirations !

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Look no further than some Ibanez bursts (not their Gibson inspired Black to orange samples) and Heritage. These are to me the best bursts in an "affordable" git without going over the cliff to a high end model. Below are the backs of my Ibanez AF-125 and AK-95.

Unusual sunburst guitars-ibanez_backs_s-jpg

User Info Menu

Hofner red burst

L-5 cherry burst
    Attached Images Attached Images Unusual sunburst guitars-l-5_1-jpg Unusual sunburst guitars-456-front-jpg Unusual sunburst guitars-456-back-jpg Unusual sunburst guitars-l-5_2-jpg 

User Info Menu

Here is my Daniel Slaman "Jazz Verde Milonga"

Unusual sunburst guitars-mil2big-jpg

I know it's an instant love or hate instrument. As for me, I was litterally captured by this beautiful instrument.

Cheers.

User Info Menu

I always liked Rickenbacker's Fireglo.

Unusual sunburst guitars-rick-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Archtop

I know it's an instant love or hate instrument. As for me, I was litterally captured by this beautiful instrument.

Cheers.
    What a stunner.

User Info Menu

I like Ibanez bursts too. My 100
    Unusual sunburst guitars-p1000071-jpgUnusual sunburst guitars-p1000074-jpg

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Cheers.

Yowza, that is ugly. I guess we all have different tastes, but that one is hard to wrap my brain around.

User Info Menu

I just saw this and had to post the pic of this Ibanez Aged Whiskey Burst. Not bad for a $1000 git.

Unusual sunburst guitars-ibanez_af155awb-jpg

User Info Menu

Heritage Super Eagle in Rose Sunburst
    Unusual sunburst guitars-dsc02179-jpgUnusual sunburst guitars-dsc02177-jpg

User Info Menu

I always loved the sunburst on my Eastman T186SM. This might be a bad picture, but it doesn't go quite to black, more of a dark brown.
    Unusual sunburst guitars-img_4317-jpg

User Info Menu

Love this kind of thread! You asked for it -- you got it.

1960's Japanese Maruha archtop. Crazy 'burst and inlays. I call it a spatula-burst.
    Attached Images Attached Images Unusual sunburst guitars-img_3432-jpg Unusual sunburst guitars-img_3433-jpg Unusual sunburst guitars-img_3434-jpg 

User Info Menu

... and one more. Use to own one of these guitars. Found this one online. 1969 Kustom K 200 purple-on-green "watermelonburst"
    Attached Images Attached Images Unusual sunburst guitars-kustom-k-200-1969-watermelonburst-jpg 

User Info Menu

Cheers.
    I never thought I would like a green guitar. I stand corrected.

User Info Menu

This is my Peerless Jazz City. Looks like an ice tea burst to me. The previous owner polished it a bit because it comes from the factory with a satin finish. I like what they did. I wasn't crazy about the abalone, but since I toned down some of the gold pieces and used an ebony pick up ring I started liking the abalone. Great guitar, btw. It's a keeper for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images Unusual sunburst guitars-img_0993-jpg 

User Info Menu

Speaking of green...

Here's my emerald green LP standard DC. If this one looked like the Daniel Slamen, I'd sleep with it at night :-)

Unusual sunburst guitars-gibson_lpdc_emerald_s-jpg
    Last edited by GNAPPI; 10-06-2017 at 03:01 PM.

User Info Menu

I have to that are a bit out of the norm...

First up, my 16” Comins Zelig a natural top with a subtle burst on the fiddleback mahogany back and one-piece neck to visually tie into the reddish hued cocobolo fingerest, fingerboard, binding and headplate veneers.

Next up, my Klepper oval holed, multi-scale OM. The top a Kalamazooesque burst with hues to tie into the deep browns and purples in the African Blackwood back/sides, the lighter hues of the Brazilian Rosewood sapwood headplate venneer while contrasting against the colorful marquetry.

User Info Menu

One good red burst deserves another: Peerless Sunset

Unusual sunburst guitars-fullsizeoutput_f46-jpg

Unusual sunburst guitars-fullsizeoutput_f47-jpg

Unusual sunburst guitars-fullsizeoutput_f48-jpg

User Info Menu

Check out the various Hoyer Specials, some are quite mad. Here is a picture of a slightly less mad one.

Unusual sunburst guitars-2120270mk-jpg

And a slightly more mad one!!

Unusual sunburst guitars-101_2-jpg

User Info Menu

Unusual bursts? OK - I'll play:

Unusual sunburst guitars-dsci0472-jpg

User Info Menu

How about a tangerine sunburst Super 400, a la Super 4000.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by plasticpigeon
    Check out the various Hoyer Specials, some are quite mad. Here is a picture of a slightly less mad one.

Unusual sunburst guitars-2120270mk-jpg

And a slightly more mad one!!

Unusual sunburst guitars-101_2-jpg
    Well, the first one isn't a 17 1/2" Hoyer Special, it's a 16 1/2" Hoyer Solist.
    The second one isn't really a Hoyer Special, but a Hoyer Special SL, a specific variant of the Special with a different tailpiece and a crapload of added, dizzying binding and purfling. Sort of the Liberace version of a Hoyer Special.

Here are a few straight-up Hoyer Specials - hardcore professional guitars, positively subdued and tasteful:

A couple of blondes:
    Hoyer-Special_5355 by Nate Lamy, on Flickr
    Hoyer-Special_5359 by Nate Lamy, on Flickr

Unusual sunburst. Various German makers used this style, with the stripe down the middle, also as shown in the Hoyer Special SL above (restored and made very shiny by Herbert Rittinger, THE guy in the high-end German archtop world). I don't know the origin of the style:
    Hoyer-Special_6157 by Nate Lamy, on Flickr

Redburst:
    Hoyer-Special-redburst_6035 by Nate Lamy, on Flickr

I guess Black doesn't count, but here they are as well:

Hoyer-Special Mini-me by Nate Lamy, on Flickr
    Last edited by Hammertone; 10-08-2017 at 02:12 PM.

User Info Menu

Examples of the Hofner 464 redburst from the early '50s. mid-'50s, and early '60s:

User Info Menu

Black counts if it looks like this D'Angelico in black burst! Egads, this is one of the very few gits I'd buy based on color alone.

Unusual sunburst guitars-dangelico_exss_blackburst-jpg