The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 39 of 39

User Info Menu

A good guitar in hand is worth 2 on the internet that you can't play before buying

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Commonly, guitars of that vintage require neck reset and frets. If it hasn't been done, expect it will need to. I've acquired 30's and 40's Gibson and Epiphone guitars assuming that was the case, and it usually is. It's a fact of life. I have never been disappointed with the results. The early frets are horrible, thin little banjo wires I call them. After 50 or so years, the necks and joints, just like your own, tend to loosen up, and the wood especially, after all those years of seasonal changes in temperature and humidity, etc., tends to change often in ways we don't like. It doesn't happen in all cases, just a lot of them, enough to expect it. A good luthier can fix it. The first time you go through the process, it's a bit stressful. Once it's done, there's nothing like a vintage Epiphone. They're fricking awesome. My '36 Masterbuilt Emperor is untouchable for acoustic sound and playability. That's what I think. Get the epiphone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    Commonly, guitars of that vintage require neck reset and frets. If it hasn't been done, expect it will need to. I've acquired 30's and 40's Gibson and Epiphone guitars assuming that was the case, and it usually is. It's a fact of life. I have never been disappointed with the results. The early frets are horrible, thin little banjo wires I call them. After 50 or so years, the necks and joints, just like your own, tend to loosen up, and the wood especially, after all those years of seasonal changes in temperature and humidity, etc., tends to change often in ways we don't like. It doesn't happen in all cases, just a lot of them, enough to expect it. A good luthier can fix it. The first time you go through the process, it's a bit stressful. Once it's done, there's nothing like a vintage Epiphone. They're frickibut nng awesome. My '36 Masterbuilt Emperor is untouchable for acoustic sound and playability. That's what I think. Get the epiphone.
    Frets certainly need to be replaced on older guitars but I do not agree that in general necks need resetting. Gibson guitars from this period were well made and neck sets are not common. Nothing like neck resets on flattops that are common. I have reset Gretsch archtops but never an L7 or higher model Gibson. Now I realize it happens but I really think a neck set is rare. Sometimes other options are available that are far less invasive and work equally. Just looking at if the neck angle is good and action, and there is no movement in the neck it is solid. I would not do a thing other than cosmetic.

Of course the brings up the real situation that you must have guitar in hands to make a diagnosis. Your doctor does not diagnosis over the phone he needs to see you and same for the guitar repairman. Nothing can replace a good in hand inspection with all the usual tools. A good mirror and source of light, even use bluelight to see things hidden. You are right on about older frets, the stuff today is much better. I just love the Jescar fret stuff today they are great with many options.

User Info Menu

The heel cap on my '53 Epi looks a lot like that. It's entirely due to shrinkage of the plastic cap. Underneath the cap, it's all good. Old plastic does shrink. That said, I can't at all tell what the issue is with the guitar in the picture. Not nearly enough detail, and it's only one view. It might be fine or it might be a disaster.

All these are fair points, but I am not as concerned about being disappointed. Consumer protection for online commerce is remarkably strong these days. I agree about getting the guitar in my hands to inspect it and evaluating it, but this is part of the process to get it to me. My reason for posting the picture is to see if anyone here thinks anything is obviously wrong for me to avoid wasting effort and time. I agree in principle with 1 guitar in hands vs 2 online, but only in principal. In reality, there are many more nuances. If I don't live somewhere where these guitars come up frequently, should I never get to experience one? Or should I take some small and finite risk as part of the discovery process?

User Info Menu

I don't think the heel gap is, in itself, too much to worry about. It may well be stable, or it may need a neck reset. If the guitar sounds good, as is, it will sound even better after a reset, with a proper bridge height. You don't live in an area where good archtops are easy to try out, and are at the mercy of ordering on the internet...like me(having said that, almost every time I try a vintage archtop, at a store that should know better, it's set up with nickel strings and lowww action...argh!). You'll be able to return the Epi if not satisfied: I say, go for it.

I'm very grateful to be among a group of enablers! I'm gonna sleep on it. Thanks again everyone for your input.

I took two nights to sleep on it and ordered the Triumph. Comes with an original FHC pickup.

If I know myself well, I'll AB it with the Eastman, conclude that I can't sell the Eastman, and keep both.

User Info Menu

I'd never buy a so old guitar without having personally inspect it. A lot could've happened to the instrument in all that time.

So, for me is "no touch, no buy". No exceptions. And I say it as somebody that's been prepping vintage guitars for guitar shows for over fifteen years.

HTH,
    Last edited by LtKojak; 10-08-2017 at 03:08 AM.

Just an update: the Triumph finally arrived earlier this week. I restrung it with heavier strings and the neck has been perfectly stable. Intonation is spot on. There are no cracks. It could use a refret one day, but it plays more than fine now. The original FHC is wonderful to play, too. Here's a pic. Does anyone have a recommendation on strings to use on this Epi? Right now I'm using Thomastik swing 12s, but it seems to want a higher gauge.

Would You Sell an Eastman AR910 for a 40s Epiphone Triumph?-fullsizerender-4-jpg

And here's a pic of the Eastman. You might see it up for sale; you might not. I'm a huge fan of both guitars but will struggle to justify keeping both.
    Would You Sell an Eastman AR910 for a 40s Epiphone Triumph?-fullsizerender-3-jpg
    Last edited by omphalopsychos; 10-21-2017 at 06:47 PM.

Sorry for the poor image quality. The forum page compressed the hell out of those files.

User Info Menu

I'm a fan of TI Bebop 14's for acoustics. Great looking Triumph...keep 'em both! So much for only buying what one can touch
    Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 10-21-2017 at 07:16 PM.

User Info Menu

Very nice looking Triumph. I just can't get enough of these old Epis.

User Info Menu

Both guitars look great, probably sound great too. I would like to have your problem!