The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 91

User Info Menu

GAS (Guitar acquisition syndrome) is an addiction, and I am an addict. At the height of my indulgence I was up to 22 guitars. This year I was determined to get down to 12 (a 12 step program if you will). I made it down to 13 and quit selling off guitars. Close enough for jazz said I.

Two weeks ago Vinny1k sent me an email telling me of screaming deals on new Gibsons from CME. No matter, I told myself, I have all the Gibsons I need (5 of them). And with three vintage D'Angelicos to choose from, I am truly set guitar wise. Then forum member abazzappaplant posted a thread in the for sale section (now deleted) showing all kinds of deals from CME. Like a motorist passing a bloody accident, I had to look. ES-175's? I have two of them. ES-335's? I just sold my last one of those and do not want another one. Semi-hollows are simply not my thing, I would rather play a 175 or a Les Paul. Semi's split the difference and compromising is not part of my hard wiring. But wait, what about this blond, ES-330 that is a reissue of a 1961 ES-330?

330's have always been below my radar guitar wise, but at the same time I have been curious about them. After all Grant Green and Emily Remler played them (Emily did install Humbuckers on hers) and then my first guitar hero, John Lennon played one (with Epiphone on the headstock TBH, but a Kalamazoo 330 at heart). And I have never had A Gibson with P-90'S. Hmm, though I. Perhaps I should call the guy at CME and see what their bottom line price is. On Amazon, they wanted $2495. I called David at CME and was quoted $2200 including shipping. Plus I put it on a credit card that gives me 1 percent cash back. Total cost for this new Gibson was therefore $2,178. How could I refuse? back up to 14 guitars we go.

Here she is: Gibson ES-330 (1961 Reissue)-gibson-es-330-jpgGibson ES-330 (1961 Reissue)-20170922_155553-jpgGibson ES-330 (1961 Reissue)-20170922_155610-jpg

The Good:

This looks, sounds and feels like a vintage guitar. Red Spruce braces, hot hide glue construction, underwound PUPS, superb pots and black beauty caps, a perfect tinted finish and binding all contribute to a vintage feel.

The neck profile is exactly like that on my genuine 1963 ES-175 (I have had other Gibsons that had the "60's slim taper neck". They were close but no cigar. This guitar nails it) and is a superb profile. Slim and wide (just like a good woman ).

The guitar is light (6 pounds 14 ounces with a Bigsby) and is acoustically as resonant as my 1963 ES-175 (though with less bass).

The case is black with a yellow lining (though the yellow is much paler than a real 60's case, this is a better case than Gibson supplied in the 60's) Here is a pic of the new case with my vintage 60's case:Gibson ES-330 (1961 Reissue)-20170922_155506-jpg

The guitar came with a strap pin in the heel (Gibson didn't do that in the 60's and they saved me the trouble by doing so)

The fret work is superb as is the playabilty and the figure is better than any 60's 330 that I have ever seen (This was a low end student guitar back in the day). Here is a shot of the 330 along side my 1963 ES-175: Gibson ES-330 (1961 Reissue)-20170922_155526-jpg

The Bad:

This is a VOS guitar. I like to relic my own guitars. The dull finish and the pre corroded parts do not float my boat at all. I knew this going in.

The knobs are not correct. Gibson shows reflector knobs on their website but actually shipped these guitars with late 50 style bonnet knobs. No biggie, I prefer early 50's speed knobs in any case and if I ever change them, Speed knobs it will be. But still, they should have used the correct knobs. They did so much else right, why screw this up?

The fingerboard has some light streaks in it. I do not mind, but back in the day, they would have used uniformly dark rosewood for the fingerboard.

There are two finish flaws. They forgot to sand part of one of the F holes on the inside. No biggie, I can fix that, but on a guitar that listed for $4450 should I have to? Also some dye from the fingerboard bled into the nut. Gibson is not taking their time. At the price I paid, these are no bother, but if I had paid what most of these guitars sold for ($2500-$3800), I would be bothered.

Finally, CME does not pack a guitar as good as I do. But UPS treated it well so it is all fine. A screaming deal indeed.

I used it on one gig so far with the factory supplied 10's that it came with. It is useable, but I would WAY rather have a 175 in my hands. I will change to heavier strings and use in on a few more gigs, but I am thinking that this guitar will find it's best use when I do a Western Swing gig. The next time I play "Riders in the Sky" the Bigsby will come in handy on a few A minor chords.

And I will be glad that I am back up to 14 guitars.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Don't worry, if you can resist a deal that good on a 330, you need to see a shrink, so you are forgiven!

Great guitar! I want my future 330 to be sunburst and without a Bigsby, but I probably would not have been able to resist a deal like that either. Enjoy her in good health!

User Info Menu

Always loved the look of the mahogany neck joining the natural maple body. Don't ask me why, idk.

User Info Menu

When Gibson was rolling out those semi-hollows in the late 50s and early 60s, having a Bigsby was elegance. There weren't that many 330s with Bigsbys. It was like having a Volkswagen bug with whitewalls.

I've had my share of 60s 330s and 335s. The tops and backs were plain. In fact I don't remember seeing a 345 or 355 as flamed as your new 330.

I have a VOS 345 I recently bought. I'd prefer not to have the aging changes artificially applied. First, I don't think anyone believes it was made in 1963. Second, I would like a new looking guitar if I'm buying a new one. Third, the dulled finish and metal don't look real. They look stupid really. But I figure that like Benjamin Button, as time goes on the aging changes will recede and the guitar will look younger.

I had three beefs about the 330 as a kid playing rock and blues. This was the "cheap" one in the series and all of my friends knew it. It was for newbies. The pickups hum too much. It feeds back a lot. Today I don't believe any of those.

I love your new guitar. You got one hell of a deal. Master the Bigsby!

User Info Menu

So you have a lot more guitars that I do....

Congrats on a beautiful new purchase - I know you ll make her sing !
    Last edited by fws6; 09-26-2017 at 09:32 AM.

User Info Menu

Simply gorgeous. Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Congrats! Those CME deals were pretty good. I'm still waiting on my ES-275 to arrive.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Don't worry, if you can resist a deal that good on a 330, you need to see a shrink, so you are forgiven!

Great guitar! I want my future 330 to be sunburst and without a Bigsby, but I probably would not have been able to resist a deal like that either. Enjoy her in good health!
    Thanks, Little Jay. I think we all might need to see a shrink. Jazz guitar? A truly difficult task that most people do not appreciate. We must be crazy to do this.

I thought about replacing the Bigsby, but it balances so well and is still so light, I think the Bigsby stays. Gibson does have a 2018 model ES-330 and it is sunburst and without Bigsby. Perhaps there is one in your future?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Always loved the look of the mahogany neck joining the natural maple body. Don't ask me why, idk.
    Yep, Maple and Mahogany go together like peanut butter and jelly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    When Gibson was rolling out those semi-hollows in the late 50s and early 60s, having a Bigsby was elegance. There weren't that many 330s with Bigsbys. It was like having a Volkswagen bug with whitewalls.

I've had my share of 60s 330s and 335s. The tops and backs were plain. In fact I don't remember seeing a 345 or 355 as flamed as your new 330.

I have a VOS 345 I recently bought. I'd prefer not to have the aging changes artificially applied. First, I don't think anyone believes it was made in 1963. Second, I would like a new looking guitar if I'm buying a new one. Third, the dulled finish and metal don't look real. They look stupid really. But I figure that like Benjamin Button, as time goes on the aging changes will recede and the guitar will look younger.

I had three beefs about the 330 as a kid playing rock and blues. This was the "cheap" one in the series and all of my friends knew it. It was for newbies. The pickups hum too much. It feeds back a lot. Today I don't believe any of those.

I love your new guitar. You got one hell of a deal. Master the Bigsby!
    Thanks Mark. You and I are of one mind on the VOS thing. I do not get the whole relic thing, but some guys are impatient. I prefer to relic my own guitars on the bandstand.

Gibson used superb maple on this guitar and the quartersawn mahogany they used for the neck is as nice as any that I have ever seen. Why they used less than top grade rosewood for the fingerboard is a mystery. Still, this is a great guitar. I am glad I pulled the trigger.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fws6
    So you have a lot more guitars that I do....

Congrats on a beautiful new purchase - I know you ll make her sing !
    Thanks Frank!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie2
    Simply gorgeous. Enjoy!
    Thanks Paulie2!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by geese_com
    Congrats! Those CME deals were pretty good. I'm still waiting on my ES-275 to arrive.
    I hope you called and got the best price. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    I hope you called and got the best price. Thanks!
    I definitely did. It was a heck of a deal. I just could not pass it up even though I did not "need" another guitar.

User Info Menu

Superb guitar Mr. Stringswinger.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Archtop
    Superb guitar Mr. Stringswinger.
    Thanks Fred! It seems we both like a blond flame top with black PUPs!

User Info Menu

That's actually very nice Bro.
    I am partial to the P-90's. My fathers 53 175d had them.
    Say, in a pinch, can you make pasta with that contraption hanging off the back where the tailpiece is supposed to be? Just kidding buddy. That looks like a fun guitar. And I agree with you, I's much rather do my own relicing myself. But, I rarely ever do..
    Enjoy it Marco.
    JD

User Info Menu

Stringswinger,
    Congrats ! Really nice guitar- how could you pass up that deal.
    I've never played an ES-330 with the P90's - it sure seems interesting.

It's funny how so many of us have this GAS syndrome. We sell a few guitars then feel liberated and consciously justified to then pursue more acquisitions.

Our habits could be worse though - no guilt. These are at least durables - it's the non durables that are a total loss.

Wishing you many hours of enjoyment.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    That's actually very nice Bro.
    I am partial to the P-90's. My fathers 53 175d had them.
    Say, in a pinch, can you make pasta with that contraption hanging off the back where the tailpiece is supposed to be? Just kidding buddy. That looks like a fun guitar. And I agree with you, I's much rather do my own relicing myself. But, I rarely ever do..
    Enjoy it Marco.
    JD
    Thanks JD! I have to admit, these P-90's sound great. Alnico 3 in the neck, Alnico 2 in the bridge. I plan on using it on a solo gig this weekend. That will test the PUP's for noise. I bet it will be fine.

User Info Menu

congrats, did they at least get the neck profile right? [ie; tapeworm]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Stringswinger,
    Congrats ! Really nice guitar- how could you pass up that deal.
    I've never played an ES-330 with the P90's - it sure seems interesting.

It's funny how so many of us have this GAS syndrome. We sell a few guitars then feel liberated and consciously justified to then pursue more acquisitions.

Our habits could be worse though - no guilt. These are at least durables - it's the non durables that are a total loss.

Wishing you many hours of enjoyment.
    Thanks Steve! No doubt, compared to many "toys for big boys", from an economic standpoint, our thing is better than most.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    congrats, did they at least get the neck profile right? [ie; tapeworm]
    Thanks! The neck profile is perfect. Finally, a real 60's Gibson neck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    The neck profile is exactly like that on my genuine 1963 ES-175 (I have had other Gibsons that had the "60's slim taper neck". They were close but no cigar. This guitar nails it) and is a superb profile. Slim and wide.
    I too love shallow wide necks.

User Info Menu

Are we still talking about women?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bebop Tom
    Are we still talking about women?
    Ha! I don't think a shallow, wide neck on a woman sounds too good. Perhaps if I were a Neanderthal?