The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 135

User Info Menu

What does Mr. Wu charge for something like this?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CamillusUSA
    Fretboard inlay and headpiece veneer.
    While I am generally not a fan of fancy inlays, those are awesome. I just love the angled art deco shape, and the red inserts are really striking! What is the material?
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 12-12-2017 at 01:56 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Joe
    What does Mr. Wu charge for something like this?
    not nearly enough

User Info Menu

Several members interested in Wu guitars have contacted me about this supposed "Wu" 18" guitars. No, they're not my guitars, nor do I know the seller.

Curious selling prices though...

Jazz Guitar - Gibson Super 400 Style Hollowbody 18" Solid Wood Custom w PIckup | eBay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jazz-Guitar....c100005.m1851

User Info Menu

Both nice - but I prefer the wine coloured one.

User Info Menu

He lists the brand as Gibson, but they're obviously not Gibsons. I don't know if that's carelessness, ignorance, or something else.

User Info Menu

Well, I guess I'll find out about the red one. On a whim, I sniped the auction at a lowball level, never thinking I'd win it, but I did. If this is a real Wu, I think I got a good deal. But so far I've only seen pictures.

User Info Menu

Excellent for you - Congrats!!!

User Info Menu

Now I have to figure out the best way to splain this to the CFO.

User Info Menu

That's less than half of what it would cost to order that guitar.

It was local to me, I could have checked it out if only I'd known you were interested

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    If this is a real Wu, I think I got a good deal.
    Dunno.. but that's the pickup, tuners, and tailpiece you typically see on these (plan on swapping the pickup and under pickguard controls). Would cost twice that from Yunzhi or Wu to have it built. You may have gotten a solid, carved instrument for the price of a laminate production guitar. Look forward to hearing how it turns out.

User Info Menu

I didn't even know I was interested. It's all 2b's fault. I had looked at the auction when I saw the post about it, just curious, and then ebay notified me that the auction was ending soon. Nothing else going on, so I looked again, and saw the bids were still very low. So I decided to snipe it, but with a bid I didn't expect to win. It sold for a lot less than I thought it would, less than the max bid I had placed. I don't need an 18" archtop, especially one that may need work, but I'm stuck with it for now. I may resell it later, but I plan to give it a try first. Now I need to sell my Bambino. I've been slowly selling some stuff, but I don't have room for everything. Having too much stuff is such a terrible problem.

User Info Menu

C'mon... it's what we do - it looks lovely.

User Info Menu

Well, I guess I'll find out about the red one. On a whim, I sniped the auction at a lowball level, never thinking I'd win it, but I did. If this is a real Wu, I think I got a good deal. But so far I've only seen pictures.
    I'd call it a steal. If it doesn't work out, I'm sure you can flip it.
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 12-14-2017 at 11:44 AM.

User Info Menu

Actually the ad says Gibson Super 400 STYLE... which it is patterned after. Congrats, Mr Wu does lovely work, I should know. LOL...

Slap a Bartolini 5J on the neck and new Schatten controls under the guard and some good flat wounds and while they're putting the electronics in do a thorough setup. You will be quite pleased.

Big

User Info Menu

Actually the ad says Gibson Super 400 STYLE... which it is patterned after.
    Down in the description, the brand is given as Gibson.
    Item specifics

Condition: New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging (where packaging is ... Read more Body Material: Solid Wood
    Soundboard Style: Archtop Brand: Gibson
    Body Type: Hollow Model Year: 2017
    Body Color: Red String Configuration: 6 String
    Dexterity: Right-Handed Model: Custom
    But it obviously says Finley, not Gibson, on the headstock, so it's not like it's an obvious attempt to pass it as a Gibson. Probably just carelessness/inexperience. I'm not concerned about it.

User Info Menu

Down in the description, the brand is given as Gibson.

But it obviously says Finley, not Gibson, on the headstock, so it's not like it's an obvious attempt to pass it as a Gibson. Probably just carelessness/inexperience. I'm not concerned about it.
    The seller likely used the ebay auto script. Yes he should have changed the brand name. But everyone knew it wasn't a Gibson, which was reflected in the fact that no one bid on it, and why you were able to steal it for $640. Even without a fret job, new electronics, it's a $1500 minimum guitar. Where on the planet does one purchase a carved spruce 18" archtop for even $1500?

Enjoy!

User Info Menu

I fully intend to enjoy. As I said, I'm not concerned about it, other than the lack of attention to detail, which can carry over to other things. But I'm looking forward to seeing a shipping notice, and then the arrival of a truck.

User Info Menu

Here we are with the body bound, headstock bound and drilled for machines and the neck "roughed-in" - should be attached next week some time.
    New Build With Mr Wu-新建文件夹-3-f076b90fa160994-jpg
    New Build With Mr Wu-新建文件夹-3-34397eeb65c1903-jpg

User Info Menu

Mr Wu is getting into the final stages. So, here's the last photo I'll post until it arrives here. I'll follow with plenty of pics then. I'm ecstatic with the project - it's been fun.

New Build With Mr Wu-front-colour-jpg

And an added note - working w/Ms Lora and the celebrated Mr Wu has been great.

User Info Menu

Looks great! Excited for you.

User Info Menu

Sweet

I've been thinking about one of those for a while now

Keep us informed of how it works out

User Info Menu

In addition to his superb skills with wood, Mr. Wu certainly shoots a nice sunburst, does he not?

User Info Menu

exactly! I'm champing at the bit to see it once its roughed down, clear-coated (or whatever they do) and buffed. Looking forwarded to that.

User Info Menu

Yeah his bursts really are wonderful. But let us not forget the amazing inlay work Mrs. Wu does... Please !!
    Coming along very nicely.

Big