The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

It looks like Eastman 175 thinline guitars are available in Japan :
    Eastman AR-175CE Thinbody/1PU/Natural(新品)【楽器検索デジマート】
    (just an example)
    But I can't find this kind of guitar on Eastman website !
    Any clue ?
    (I love thinlines, they make a good complement to my belly .....)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The Google translation of the site, if it's accurate, seems to indicate that it's a custom model not in the Eastman catalog (yet). The review says it's a copy of an ES175T:
    It is a maniac model produced between 1976 and 1979
    whatever that means. Something seems to be lost in the translation, unsurprisingly. Eastman tends to produce quality instruments, so it might be worth a look, but you may have to buy it from that site for the time being.

User Info Menu

175T had 2 pickups. I think the seventy seven will be way more accurate and they're available in the usa.

User Info Menu

I asked a friend ,who works for Eastman, about this AR175. Now I'm waiting for his reply.

GOOGLE says
    thineline hollow body
    maple body and neck
    1.75 nut width.
    24.75 scale
    ebony fretboard
    single HB
    single cut away

This is exactly what I want. GASing.

User Info Menu

I thought "ALL" 175's including the "T" had mahogany necks with rosewood FB's?

With their "T" clone having a maple neck and ebony FB it seems like the AR372 in a full depth model (also all maple but with rosewood FB) is available today with two pups and for likely a lot less buckazoids? Still if it had two pups, I'd like to play this new one.
    Last edited by GNAPPI; 09-22-2017 at 12:34 AM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    I thought "ALL" 175's including the "T" had mahogany necks with rosewood FB's?

With their "T" clone having a maple neck and ebony FB it seems like the AR372 in a full depth model (also all maple but with rosewood FB) is available today with two pups and for likely a lot less buckazoids? Still if it had two pups, I'd like to play this new one.
    1975 Gibson ES-175T - Natural & RARE | Reverb

Sure looks like a maple neck to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by customxke
    1975 Gibson ES-175T - Natural & RARE | Reverb

Sure looks like a maple neck to me.
    Maybe, but...

A. The listing says it may be a prototype

and

B. The below specs say they have Mahogany.

GIBSON ES-175T electric guitars

Gibson ES-175 - Wikipedia

So it MAY be maple... I don't know

And

C. I really don't care what the neck is made from, but if the T model really did have a maple neck, and thinner body, what would make it a 175? :-)

Like I said...

"I thought "ALL" 175's including the "T" had mahogany necks with rosewood FB's?"
    Last edited by GNAPPI; 09-22-2017 at 02:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Maybe, but...

and

And

C. I really don't care what the neck is made from, but if the T model really did have a maple neck, and thinner body, what would make it a 175? :-)

Like I said...

"I thought "ALL" 175's including the "T" had mahogany necks with rosewood FB's?"
    Anyway...

User Info Menu

I saw a listing for the 175T and it said it was like 335 thin. I was hoping it would be more like ES 350T thin.

What I would like is someone to make a 175 like the last one Joe Pass played that Gibson made for him, 350T type thin and single pickup by the neck.

User Info Menu

Sorry, it's not a thinline that you are pointing. The AR371 is 3 9/32 " deep.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    I saw a listing for the 175T and it said it was like 335 thin. I was hoping it would be more like ES 350T thin.

What I would like is someone to make a 175 like the last one Joe Pass played that Gibson made for him, 350T type thin and single pickup by the neck.
    Good idea !

Do you remember the guitar Jim Soloway had Heritage make for him. It was a H575 thin. What a guitar !

User Info Menu

Maybe, but...

and

And

Like I said...

They didn't ALL have mahogany necks.

Gibson 1979 ES-175 D Natural | Guitars Etc | Reverb

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    175T had 2 pickups. I think the seventy seven will be way more accurate and they're available in the usa.
    I noticed a clip of Brad King playing the

Seventy Seven Jazz Hawk ( thinline )
    and it sounded VERY promising for a thin Semi Hollow .

Have you heard this one ' live' ?

I read your Semihollow Review Chart- great
    work would be great to see/ hear a Review of the Hawk Standard.

OP- sorry for the slightly Off Topic Post.

IF this is the Hawk Jazz Standard ( thinline )- very impressive...reminds me of the Marchione Semi - despite the scale length differences.

As I said in another Post I would like to hear it with a little less Treble rolled off also..but it seems very Phatt for a Semi with a really nice singing Tone..and even Tones across all the strings ( rather than thinner, brighter high E ,B strings etc.)

Do the Eastman's have a wider than 1-11/16" width neck with slightly wider string spacing - or is that Model Specific ? Or simply incorrect ?
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 10-17-2017 at 07:03 PM.

User Info Menu

You know, Eastman has a very similar model available in the US already. It's almost identical but with a mahogany neck.

Archtops John Pisano AR380CE — Eastman Guitars

Eastman 175 thinline ?-eastman-ar380ce-hb-jpg

User Info Menu

Interesting...that one is a thicker body too..kind of in between a thinline and an Archtop.

The main advantage of a Thinline is sometimes playing at 1.. 2...3 AM unplugged without waking anyone in the next room.. and it seems like a Thinline might be more durable to cart around.

BUT I do want something at least as Phatt as a 137 or moreso...

I wonder if the Hawk Jazz Standard - the Thinline would benefit from moving the neck PU to right at end of fingerboard ?
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 10-06-2017 at 11:04 PM.

User Info Menu

Hi 339,

I beg to differ. Here are the specs as listed below in the more details section . It says 16 x 1.75" for the three particular guitars in question. you can tell by looking at the fotos ...

" Here are the specs of the guitar!
    Laminated maple top, back and sides. Rosewood bridge, tailpiece, pickguard and fretboard with vintage tone with superior midrange and volume. Classic Florentine cutaway, mounted humbucking pickup design.
    Body Dimensions: 16? X 1.75 "
    Cutaway: Florentine
    Top Wood: Laminated Maple, Parallel Braced
    Back/Sides Wood: Laminated Maple
    Body Binding: Ivoroid 5-ply top, 3 ply back, Single ply neck
    Neck Woods: 3 piece maple
    Fingerboard: Rosewood
    Nut Width: 1 3/4?
    Scale Length: 24 3/4?
    Frets: 20 Dunlop 6130
    Pickguard: Multi-ply Plastic
    Inlays: Split Block Inlay
    Pick-up: Single Mounted Kent Armstrong HPAN-1N
    Controls: Volume & Tone
    Bridge: Rosewood compensated, 2 3/32? Spacing
    Tailpiece: Vintage style
    Tuners: Vintage Tuners
    Strings: D’Addario EJ21 .012-.052 Roundwound
    Available Finishes: Blond
    Case: Hardshell Included "

User Info Menu

You might like the Eastman T146. I have one and am very happy with it. It has a good tone without amplification for your early morning playing.