The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 61 of 61

User Info Menu

The older I get, the more I believe old amps and old instruments sound better. Is it a symptom of getting old?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

For prospective vintage amp buyers, as well as vintage amp sellers, FWIW, I've said it before and I'll say it again, replacing electrolytic caps and installing a 3 prong AC cord are two "mods" you can make that have no negatives associated with them.

Any prospective buyer who balks at an amp which has been correctly updated isn't worth discussing it with, and it's certainly NOT an issue that a seller needs to lower the price on an amp because it was updated.

There "may" be some argument on a buyer's point with THEM being the one to do it "correctly" on an original unmodified amp but if this is the case, they can just as easily check the updates themselves to assure it WAS in fact done correctly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    For prospective vintage amp buyers, as well as vintage amp sellers, FWIW, I've said it before and I'll say it again, replacing electrolytic caps and installing a 3 prong AC cord are two "mods" you can make that have no negatives associated with them.

Any prospective buyer who balks at an amp which has been correctly updated isn't worth discussing it with, and it's certainly NOT an issue that a seller needs to lower the price on an amp because it was updated.

There "may" be some argument on a buyer's point with THEM being the one to do it "correctly" on an original unmodified amp but if this is the case, they can just as easily check the updates themselves to assure it WAS in fact done correctly.
    If I were to sell a vintage amp nowadays, those mods would happen first. The last thing any of us need is a lawsuit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus
    If I were to sell a vintage amp nowadays, those mods would happen first. The last thing any of us need is a lawsuit.
    I hadn't thought of that, I will now.

I read that the U.S has ~5% of the worlds population and that around 70% of the attorneys in the world reside in the U.S. If that's even CLOSE to accurate it's sad.

I guess that the intention of contingency fee not only made the court system available to those who could never afford it, but also made it a haven for those who would pursue a frivolous lawsuit. Imagine suing an owner / seller of a 50 year old amp that they didn't even design.

User Info Menu

I have had many old amps, and I think that a quality newer amp will sound just as good. I don't skimp on equipment. My 2 main amps (Carr Rambler & Bogner Shiva) are in the $2000+ category, but I am a pro and need the best in terms of tone and reliability. Neither has ever let me down, though I can barely lift the Bogner anymore!

So, it's old guitars and newer amps for me.

I get a lot of compliments from other guitarists on my clear, full tone. Nothing mysterious: good equipment, play cleanly, use the minimum of effects between guitar and amp.

User Info Menu

One problem, for me, is that newer amps are far too encumbered with gee-gaws that make it harder to get a great, basic tone. I say this as someone who has designed and built many amps through the years. Too often, the stuff on an amp to "enhance" tone does exactly the opposite. For the most part, the cascading preamp stages and multi-frequency tone knobs are a big PITA.

You want to hear some "sing" and "grind" from your amp? Take a smaller amp and turn it up. Listen to Joe Walsh whipping a 5f1 Fender Champ with his Telecaster on Funk 49. One knob/volume/UP.

You want to hear superb tone? Take an Ampeg Echo Twin, or a Polytone Mini Brute II or IV, (or better yet, a Baby Brute), or an old Fender 5f6a Bassman and just drown in great, luscious guitar tone.

With old amps you keep it very simple. So, it's old amps, for me. (or, new recreations of old amps)

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Greentone;803865]One problem, for me, is that newer amps are far too encumbered with gee-gaws that make it harder to get a great, basic tone.

I've run into this problem too, when I sit in and have to use somebody else's amp. There's no baseline to build a tone off of. That's why my newer amps are pretty much Vol, Treble, Mid, Bass, and Reverb.

I used to use a Mesa Boogie and got some nice tones from it. But it had about 10 knobs on it, and every time I plugged it in it sounded different!

I guess I understand the appeal of modeling amps for those who enjoy tweaking, but I've never needed a sound that I couldn't get with a good basic amp and a few pedals.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Gilpy;804012]
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    One problem, for me, is that newer amps are far too encumbered with gee-gaws that make it harder to get a great, basic tone.

I've run into this problem too, when I sit in and have to use somebody else's amp. There's no baseline to build a tone off of. That's why my newer amps are pretty much Vol, Treble, Mid, Bass, and Reverb.

I used to use a Mesa Boogie and got some nice tones from it. But it had about 10 knobs on it, and every time I plugged it in it sounded different!

I guess I understand the appeal of modeling amps for those who enjoy tweaking, but I've never needed a sound that I couldn't get with a good basic amp and a few pedals.
    The complicated amps scare me. I'm preoccupied enough on a gig that I don't want to have to think too hard about how to adjust my sound. I have a Boogie. Dialed in properly, it's a terrific sounding amp. But, if you want, say, just a little more treble, get ready to adjust every knob on the amp.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Top of the Arch!
    Its kind of the same with old guitars too. Frets have to be replaced, fingerboards leveled etc, magnets loose power and any number of other things that will effect tone/playability. Id rather have a well made new amp or guitar thats just starting life then one with old age issues. Thats just my feeling on the subject. All in all, if it sounds good or plays good regardless of age , Im a sap, Ill buy it. Bob
    IMO - where Old Guitars really break down is the Frerwork- I am not talking about fret wear- I am talking about comparing even a NOS 1966 Whatever
    to a Boutique or Precision Fretted Instrument with top Alloy Fret Material..and tight modern tolerances.

These Guitars are easier to Play...IME.

However..I need to look more toward 'Jazz Oriented'
    Guitars to get the warmth and Phatness -it seems.

Many Modern Guitars seem too bright to me...I suppose the aged magnets and Resonance of 50 year old wood does mellow things out
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 09-28-2017 at 10:55 AM.

User Info Menu

Hmm? There are maintenance issues with old guitars, but my, oh my, they can and do sound divine.

You take the new ones and I'll take the old ones. Deal?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Hmm? There are maintenance issues with old guitars, but my, oh my, they can and do sound divine.

You take the new ones and I'll take the old ones. Deal?
    An old super resonant Guitar with the Fingerboard perfectly planed and Jescar Frets and some switches for the pickups - yeah !
    Except the Old Guitars are too valuable to do that...

So I have to find Resonant , Warm,Phatt sounding new Guitars...
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 09-28-2017 at 11:01 AM.