The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 65

User Info Menu

Several threads have been posted on this and I thought i'd share. If you're looking for a great 175 clone, the deviser (seventy seven) hawk is the absolute best I have played.

p.s.

The distributor for Seventy Seven gave me permission to add his email and phone.

Eiichi Yamamoto - eastmongo@gmail.com | 626 927 6362

Last edited by jzucker; 09-11-2017 at 11:11 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

... playing is none too shabby, either. You sound like you, but with some philip catherine overtones. Like it!

thanks, i've made some changes in my playing over the last 4-5 months

User Info Menu

Excellent sounds, soulful playing too.

Which hawk? I've seen "fat" and "jazz" hawks listed. Have just assumed the fat one is full depth. Another Seventy Seven question, given your semi experience ... have you tried any of the Exrubato guitars? A custom model is available nearby. I've been intrigued by the hollowbody Exrubato, have not seen any of these models to try.
    MD

Thanks, I believe this is the fat hawk. I'm not sure what the difference is to tell you the truth but I do know that the custom model has the maple neck, ebony fb and more fancy appointments.

The exrubato looks really interesting. They make a jazz version which has a more hollow block like a 330 which I'm interested in. I've tried a few of their models but I don't think I've played the exrubato.

Quote Originally Posted by mad dog
    Excellent sounds, soulful playing too.

Which hawk? I've seen "fat" and "jazz" hawks listed. Have just assumed the fat one is full depth. Another Seventy Seven question, given your semi experience ... have you tried any of the Exrubato guitars? A custom model is available nearby. I've been intrigued by the hollowbody Exrubato, have not seen any of these models to try.
    MD

i have a brochure which has more information which I'll post but it doesn't give details on everything...

User Info Menu

I much appreciate that Jack.
    MD

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

so it seems that mine is a hawk std deep though it only has a single pickup. I'm considering swapping it out for the dual pickup model... I also want to try the thinline version...

User Info Menu

That clone has the mojo, alright. Jack--I really like where your playing is going, these days. Nice.

User Info Menu

A Beautiful introspective piece, with just enough technical flair to show who's boss!

Quote Originally Posted by helios
    A Beautiful introspective piece, with just enough technical flair to show who's boss!
    haha, thanks. Frankly, the older I get the more I realize that the guitar is just a beast who tolerates me and would probably eat me if I wasn't careful...

User Info Menu

Reminds me of the comment made by the mountaineer Anatoly Boukareev, when asked after his solo ascent of Mt. Everest without supplemental oxygen "How does it feel to conquer Everest?" He replied "You do not conquer a mountain; you only persuade it, for a little while, to tolerate your presence."

User Info Menu

How would you describe the neck profile, and what is the cost? Are there any reputable American dealers stocking these?

Neck profile is a medium C. Not as thin as your typical ibanez benson or metheny and fatter than the gibson 30/60 neck but not a baseball bat either. It's about the biggest neck I can comfortably handle.

The distributer is Eiichi Yamamoto, Seventy Seven Distribution.Eastmongo@gmail.com. I'm not sure of the price because mine is on loan. Unfortunately, I have to return it!

btw, he told me they are not exact copies of the gibson but IMO they are the only ones other than maybe archtop tribute who get the materials, top thickness, bracing, pickup position, arch and shape correct. I wouldn't be surprised if they are the manufacturers of the archtop tribute guitars.

Hard to compare this to my '89 because of the single pickup. It's definitely more resonant but part of that is not having the bridge pickup.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    btw, he told me they are not exact copies of the gibson but IMO they are the only ones other than maybe archtop tribute who get the materials, top thickness, bracing, pickup position, arch and shape correct. I wouldn't be surprised if they are the manufacturers of the archtop tribute guitars.

Hard to compare this to my '89 because of the single pickup. It's definitely more resonant but part of that is not having the bridge pickup.
    The materials are different-the 77 website says the top is laminated spruce, but the ES175 is classically a combination laminate of maple and poplar. Also, one of the Hawk models has a 5-piece laminated neck of maple and walnut. It's gorgeous, but not duplicating the ES175 construction.

It likely doesn't matter, but it's interesting they make such a convincing sounding clone and actually have some big differences in construction. Yours certainly sounds great, and it would be great to see these becoming easily accessible in the US.

the top is laminated maple and the neck is single piece mahogany on the deep hawk std. I already mentioned that the custom had the maple neck. I wasn't aware they made a version with a spruce top. I wonder if that's a typo. In all the hawks I've seen, none were spruce tops.

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    The materials are different-the 77 website says the top is laminated spruce, but the ES175 is classically a combination laminate of maple and poplar. Also, one of the Hawk models has a 5-piece laminated neck of maple and walnut. It's gorgeous, but not duplicating the ES175 construction.

It likely doesn't matter, but it's interesting they make such a convincing sounding clone and actually have some big differences in construction. Yours certainly sounds great, and it would be great to see these becoming easily accessible in the US.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    the top is laminated maple and the neck is single piece mahogany on the deep hawk std. I already mentioned that the custom had the maple neck. I wasn't aware they made a version with a spruce top. I wonder if that's a typo. In all the hawks I've seen, none were spruce tops.
    Ah yes, there are several sub-categories here and I didn't catch the differences.

User Info Menu

According to the UK dealers web-site, the Hawk Jazz Deep has the spruce laminate, whilst the Hawk Standard and Hawk Standard Deep are maple laminate.

The Guitar Den | Fine Guitars, Amps, and Guitar Lessons

User Info Menu

Better players ALWAYS assign much credit to the git for sound. Squeezing out tone isn't the job of the instrument it's in the hands, if not they would have invented a "Player Guitar" with little piano hammers to fret it, and a robot to pick it :-)

Granted it sounds real fine but Jack you're NOT giving yourself enough credit, oh and thanks for the clip.

PS, there is a U.S seller on EBAY selling them called ultimate*jp*craftmanship, and one on Reverb called Bobs Fine Guitars
    Last edited by GNAPPI; 09-06-2017 at 03:26 AM.

User Info Menu

Reverb's Bob's Fine Guitars is JGF's own Top of the Arch. Eichii Yamamoto is the NA distributor named by Deviser Seventy-seven Guitars.1

Hawk Standard Deep is the one that is closest to a traditional ES-175D: laminated Maple, solid single African Mahogany neck, Indian Rosewood fretboard.

Hawk Standard is the ES-175D Thinline version.

Hawk Jazz Deep: laminated Spruce top over laminated Maple body, 5-piece laminated maple/walnut neck, ebony fretboard.

Hawk Jazz is the Thinline version of Hawk Jazz Deep.

Exrubato Jazz is the ES-3x5 version of the Hawk Jazz i.e. Hawk Jazz with double cutaway and centre block.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 09-06-2017 at 05:30 AM.

here's another clip with the hawk.

Last edited by jzucker; 09-06-2017 at 10:31 PM.

Here's another video I did yesterday. This guitar is really growing on me, especially as the daddario strings lose their shrillness, lol....