The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 86

User Info Menu

The last few years, some symptoms from my spinal injury have been creeping back into my life. I'm thinking a good practice chair might help. Have any of you guys tried these?

Amazon.com: Quik Lok DX749 Deluxe Seat, Black: Musical Instruments

Amazon.com: Percussion Plus ADT330 Hydraulic Throne with Back Rest: Musical Instruments
    Last edited by jzucker; 09-01-2017 at 06:29 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Trouble I have with chairs like that is they don't tilt, very straight sitting position. I have back problems and sitting in a chair that tilts like a good office chair, the tilted position takes pressure off base of the spine. Tilting shift the weight to back of legs and to upper back. The problem with office chairs is finding ones that the arms are low enough or like my buddy did strong enough to cut off the right chair arm so room for guitar.

User Info Menu

I've been happy with this chair for desk & practice - nice densely padded seat (all day seat), great lumbar support, mesh back & flip-up arms for guitar.

Amazon.com: Office Factor Executive Ergonomic Office Chair Back Mesh Bonded Leather Seat Flip up Armrest Molded Seat with a 55kg Foam Density Double Handle Mechanism You Can Lock the Back in Any Position (BLACK): Kitchen & Dining

Guitar practice chairs?-screen-shot-2017-09-01-4-51-01-pm-png
    Last edited by MaxTwang; 09-01-2017 at 07:54 PM.

User Info Menu

The most comfortable chair I've found is a simple straight wooden chair with a relatively thin pad on the seat. I've tried the office-type chairs, and a few of the throne-style stools, and don't like them at all. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    The most comfortable chair I've found is a simple straight wooden chair with a relatively thin pad on the seat. I've tried the office-type chairs, and a few of the throne-style stools, and don't like them at all. YMMV.
    those kill my back.

User Info Menu

It helps mine. I do find that the seat height has to be correct. It may require cutting some legs to get it right. But my back is not your back.

User Info Menu

For work and home, my favorite office chair is a Herman Miller "Caper" chair, without arms. Not cheap, but I've had more expensive chairs (including the $900 Aeron) that I didn't like nearly as much. These are built like a tank and molded to keep you in neutral, as well as allow a comfortable forward posture without pressure on the backs of the thighs.

Caper Multipurpose Chair - Office Chairs - Chairs - Herman Miller Official Store

User Info Menu

More ideas: Comfortable Chair?
    Last edited by marcwhy; 08-11-2019 at 10:27 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    The last few years, some symptoms from my spinal injury have been creeping back into my life. I'm thinking a good practice chair might help. Have any of you guys tried these?

Amazon.com: Quik Lok DX749 Deluxe Seat, Black: Musical Instruments

Amazon.com: Percussion Plus ADT330 Hydraulic Throne with Back Rest: Musical Instruments
    I also have back issues. I have tried both of these chairs. I did not the Quik Loc one at all. I currently use a drum throne with a back, similar to your second photo. I love it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Jack, I have been very happy with SoundSeat in my home studio.

SoundSeat Models: Seating for Drummers, Guitarists,Keyboard Players and Sound Techs

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    I also have back issues. I have tried both of these chairs. I did not the Quik Loc one at all. I currently use a drum throne with a back, similar to your second photo. I love it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    my wife has a drum throne with a back on it. I'm going to try it for a few days.

the drum throne chair is uncomfortable because it's got the thinner, bicycle style seat.

My herman miller chair feels great for office work but for guitar, it's uncomfortable to sit back against the back rest and sitting on the edge of the seat doesn't give any back support...

User Info Menu

How about one of those Swedish ergonomic kneeling chairs? It depends what you back trouble is. Mine is heled by maintaining the normal lumbar curve- flattening it as many chairs do causes me pain, but that helps some people.

User Info Menu

Jim Soloway turned me on to the Swopper - http://www.swopperusa.com/ - several years ago.

It is a unique sitting experience that has eliminated almost all of my lower back, shoulder and neck aches. There's probably a store close to you where you can try one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabbarn
    Jim Soloway turned me on to the Swopper - http://www.swopperusa.com/ - several years ago.

It is a unique sitting experience that has eliminated almost all of my lower back, shoulder and neck aches. There's probably a store close to you where you can try one.
    i need back support...

User Info Menu

I shove this curved back brace my mother used to use on her lower back wherever she sat.
    I almost forgot I had back problems since I switched to an AI Corus, but I did a gig where I hooked it up to an RS-10, and just carrying the RS-10 downstairs aggravated my back again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    How about one of those Swedish ergonomic kneeling chairs? It depends what you back trouble is. Mine is heled by maintaining the normal lumbar curve- flattening it as many chairs do causes me pain, but that helps some people.
    In my case, it's partially caused by playing smaller guitars. If I play a big archtop I'm fine but if I play a tele or my seventy seven albatross, it's so small I have to hunch over it to get my right and left hands in the proper position.

User Info Menu

I am in the same boat. I used to be the lineman for the county. I took a great fall and broke my back back in 92.
    If I could find the perfect guitar chair I would be in heaven. After 92 playing standing is completely out of the question.
    Hunching over = back, neck, and shoulder pain. The perfect chair would be a total blessing.

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    I am in the same boat. I used to be the lineman for the county. I took a great fall and broke my back back in 92.
    If I could find the perfect guitar chair I would be in heaven. After 92 playing standing is completely out of the question.
    Hunching over = back, neck, and shoulder pain. The perfect chair would be a total blessing.
    sorry to hear that. For years I played standing and never had any back paint but it would sometimes hurt my neck and shoulder. I think it contributed to tendonitis I had a few years back in which I had to quit playing for a year.

User Info Menu

My back is a house of cards since I injured it in a shipyard in 75'. I know this sounds bizarre but I do most of my practicing/playing in a recliner rocker. I do have a well padded drum throne for a shorter duration of time say 30 mins but if I'm playing for hours, I lay back in the recliner.

For my music stand, I use the stand below and mount my tablet (Surface Pro 4) in it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    my wife has a drum throne with a back on it. I'm going to try it for a few days.
    I have a Gibraltar "tractor" seat throne and while it was great for several years, it now leaks air periodically and does not hold its height. It can happen slowly and you just become aware that you're sitting lower than normal or sometimes it just suddenly drops a few inches. I will not buy another hydraulic/air chair.
    I'm looking for a tall bar stool with solid legs and a seat with firm cushioning, likely with no back support, absolutely no arm rests. Hoping I can sit and sometimes and 3/4 sit-almost standing.
    Good luck in your search and please post when you find something that works well.
    Last edited by whiskey02; 09-03-2017 at 06:50 PM.

my wife has a tractor seat gibraltor throne and I'm not crazy about the seat. It's somewhat like a bicycle seat! Because the thighs are not supported in that seat, the guitar actually sits a bit lower than it would in a larger seat and consequently, I find myself hunched down over it more than a standard seat which exacerbates the issue...

User Info Menu

Using a strap helps a lot, at least for me.

User Info Menu

It's not a chair, but playing my ergonomic Forshage Orion has relieved me of a lot of neck and shoulder strain. Yah yah, it is most definitely not a big ole' archtop, but playing without strain or pain makes everything sound better!
    Last edited by Guitarbean25; 09-04-2017 at 05:35 PM.

User Info Menu

This worked for me after using a Roc N Soc drum throne for a long time. After while the seat had bottomed out and I really felt uncomfortable. The bungee chair does not have a "bottom", so to me the spine is not stressed.
    If you can find a Container Store, try one.

Bungee Chair - Black Bungee Office Chair | The Container Store