The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 46 of 46

User Info Menu

I don't know of any tutorials. It's certainly not terribly intuitive to use. Make sure you don't have the Boss app open at the same time.

You can hear a patch by clicking on it once in the left hand tree. Double click the patch to actually open it in the editor. When you're ready to save, I strongly recommend pressing and holding the preset buttons on the amp instead of saving from within the floorboards app. In addition to the custom amp, which gives you a lot of flexibility designing your own amps, you change the order of effects by dragging the pedals around.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks for the tips wzpgsr. I was trying to use Floorboard with BTS open, maybe that was the issue.
    I've been playing with my looper and had the signal chain set to the recommended CHAIN3 and was getting decent results with the looper in the fx loop on the Katana.
    Today I went to play with it and was getting weird volume swells. Went back into BTS and the chain had switched to CHAIN2 which puts my looper in front of the delay. Hmmm.... It somehow changed itself. Maybe as the result of one of the Sneaky amps presets? Dunno. It's gonna take a while to master this thing.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I own the katana 50 and currently gamble around with the settings.
    Additional software sounds pretty good!
    Tank you for the hinzu.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G800F mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

What about the 2 12?

$500.00

Any power benefits, or other??

User Info Menu

I think it’s identical to the 1x12 combo except for cabinet and speaker configuration.

User Info Menu

Tried the combos and ended up with the head and a Friedman Runt 112 cabinet.
    With 8 patch locations I have everything I need and never use the 100 setting with a six piece band. Amp is not mic'd or direct.

Still playing around with the patches but have a couple of good jazz tones to use. Still use an overdrive pedal through the loop and GA-FC foot controller.

the head allows me to run it next to me and set the cabinet back with the rest of the bands amps.

tom

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    the one complaint I have is the lack of overall volume. the 100 watter really has the volume of a 30w amp unless you crank the gain up to about noon. When you do that it probably has the volume of a twin. It has just a light bit of edge with the gain up that high but it's barely noticeable. Not as much as the early benson records for example...

I hated all the other channels. The brown amp sounds nothing like any brown amp I've ever played. It also sounds great with pedals. And the price is ridiculous on it.
    So the K with a slight bit of break up is as loud as a clean Twin? That is still pretty loud, isn't it? Twins set the bench mark for clean volume.

I didn't do a comparison. It's VERY loud though but that was with an overdriven sound. Clean sounds don't get nearly as loud and i'm guessing the 100w is closer to a 30w tube amp

User Info Menu

so you would recommend this for jazz,

about to spring for the Quilter mp 8 or 10 if there is any advantage to the 10 that is...

User Info Menu

I've got the 50. I love it.

I've gigged it a couple of times with my family band which is telecaster and four vocals, mild percussion. Worked great.

I've yet to use it with electric bass or drums. But I get the feeling it will be more than adequate for a small room, or like a winery gig with a drummer on brushes.

I did use it for an outside wedding last month, I plugged my acoustic into it and used the clean channel, instead of the acoustic channel. It worked perfectly for a solo guitar gig.

I pretty much use it as a clean machine. (I do like the OD sounds for fun to rock out on though!)

But yah...I live on the clean channel with a Tele.

I'm having a lot of fun with this amp. It just sounds good.

User Info Menu

Just tried them both in the store.

I thought the 100 sounded better than the 50 at the same volume. Hard to describe the difference in words, but the 100 sounded fuller.

The 100 seemed to be able to go louder while staying clean, but I didn't blast either one of them. Of course, this is to be expected.

GC had the 100 for $349, without bargaining.

And, a positive word for GC.

I went in because I had a 3 year old power supply for a Boss pedalboard break. They gave me a new one. That's great service.

All the salespeople were musicians and very accommodating.

And, there's the return privilege and price-matching.

I know other have problems with GC, but I like shopping there.

I know this is a bit of an old thread but thought a revival for people that are looking for inexpensive solid states amps would be helpful. I've now had mine for a few months and damn if it is not becoming my go-to amp for home duties. I have the 100 and it provides great cleans across the board for all my guitars. I have download some of the "secret amps" and they are nice as well. I have not used it live ias I am only doing rock gigs live and am actually using something smaller already pretty beat up, and ENGL Gigmaster.

I wish programming were able to be done from a tablet or phone wirelessly but no big deal. Once you've made you selection of models and effects you can manage the needed parameters from the top panel.

It really is an amazing value for that it is.

Regards,

Rick

User Info Menu

A clip I recorded a few weeks ago to check out the recorded sound of the Katana 50 before I recorded a later hifi take. I had never miked it earlier somehow .. Lofi clip but you get the idea. Question, do the new generation Katanas have improved sound?

And ... is the 100 different from the 50 sound wise?

DB

User Info Menu

I just picked up a version MKii and/or 3 Boss katana 50 before Christmas. I will be intrested in the responses to this thread. When I posted about the amp, some one suggested that the higher wattage would have a fatter tone. Not sure about that.
    With the new MKii model the main feature is the ability to modify your tone for the 5 amp types. Acoustic, clean, crunch, brown, and lead.
    I was told with the software you can modify your amp settings to something you really like using the equalizer in the software. I haven't felt the need to do that yet.

User Info Menu

No experience with the 100, but I've played both 50 versions. Didn't notice any differences to speak of regarding the existing channels. Seems like the new versions just have a bit more stuff, and are more user friendly with the extra controls. Now is the time to buy the old ones used!

User Info Menu

If I recall correctly, all things are supposed to be equal tone-wise between the K50 and K100 with the exception of any effect the K50s smaller magnet speaker and slightly smaller cabinet might have. I actually found the K100 to be great for direct recording.

User Info Menu

I agree from what I have read for the 50 and 100. However, differences between the newer and older Katana 50 I believe is the software aspects and the increased capabilities with the new model.

User Info Menu

The 100 is a better deal for live band playing. Enough Clean Headroom, fuller sounding If that's important to you.

User Info Menu

My new 50 MKii is just perfect for my playing at home...liking it a lot...

User Info Menu

I have 12 amps in the basement now, some high end and some not, but the Katana 50 kicks all their asses. It is so easy to dial in fantastic tones and now I just stop worrying about tone and I am free to just think about my interpretation and what I add to the tune. I have the sneaky amps patches and they are great but I can make great sounds without them. In fact, when I go down the sneaky amps rabbit hole, I often just do a reset and go back to the original factory settings. What a waste of time really. Roland needs some kudos for this. I wish these amps existed in the early 1980s when I was gigging in front of small hall audiences

User Info Menu

I have had multiples of both the 50 and 100 watt versions. They were both great but I preferred the 100w version. I think it had a better speaker and the slightly larger box made the speaker sound better. It was a noticeable difference. I sold the 50. Then I sold the 100 and “upgraded” to the mkII version. I went to my local music shop and asked for one in a box. Mistake. It sounded horrible, thin and harsh. So bad that I returned it the next day. I miss my 100 mkI. On the clean channel with a bit of gain, I could get the fattest Wes Montgomery tone. Oh well. I’m back to my trusty old Roland Cube 80 and loving it.

Bottom line, the Katanas are great amps, but play them in the store before buying to avoid bringing home a dud like I got the second time around.