The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 60

User Info Menu

Looks like sharp edges/burrs on the saddle pieces. Some emery cloth would probably solve that, just a light touch to the edges of fore-and-aft edges of the string slots ought to do it- there is probably just a microscopic burr there. Switching to GraphTech string saver saddles would also probably solve the problem, as well as improving tone by getting rid of the nasty "ping" that metal bridges often have. But then I generally don't like the sound of metal saddles, whereas some other people think the GraphTechs or wood saddles sound dull.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DonEsteban
    They are like that on nearly all modern MiC guitars now. Manufacturers using the cheapest available bridges they can get and somebody seems to have told them to reverse the bass string saddles.

Just a tip to the OP: Do yourself a favor and get yourself a quality bridge (I prefer Gotho, but there are others of similar quality).

You'll not recognize your AS93 after that, such a huge jump in tonal quality. I've done that when I had an AS93, it was amazing. And probably solves your string snapping problem too (in case it actually are the bridge saddles like mentioned before by others).
    Thank you for the advice! I do intend to upgrade the bridge at some point, do you have any recommendation of a specific model?

User Info Menu

Thank you all for the comments!

I will change the breakover angle and do some smoothing on the tailpiece/saddles.

In the future, I will probably upgrade to a better bridge, like DonEsteban suggested.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by timfernandes
    Thank you for the advice! I do intend to upgrade the bridge at some point, do you have any recommendation of a specific model?
    Gotoh 510 Bridge and Tailpiece | stewmac.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rob taft
    Thank you!

While on the subject... Is there any advantage in trying a roller-style bridge?

User Info Menu

roller saddles were made for trem type guitars..ie. bigsby

the idea was that the saddles will roll while you wiggle the whammy

but tension and any gunk that builds up, counteracts any of the pro's..and they suck tone besides

not recommended for non trem guitars

cheers

User Info Menu

I had string break issues on my Gibson L6-S reissue. The bridge was the culprit. Replaced it with a Compton bridge;
    Is the Ibanez AS93 a good start in semi hollow body guitars?-hp_bridges-gif

I opted for the stainless steel one, have not broken a string since. Tone of the guitar changed (improved) significantly too. Intonation is spot on too. Mine is compensated for heavy strings (ie .11 and above w/ wound G).

I would really like to put one on my Les Paul Recording however it has the schaller 'harmonica' bridge which has different post/spacings etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by entresz
    I had string break issues on my Gibson L6-S reissue. The bridge was the culprit. Replaced it with a Compton bridge;
    Is the Ibanez AS93 a good start in semi hollow body guitars?-hp_bridges-gif

I opted for the stainless steel one, have not broken a string since. Tone of the guitar changed (improved) significantly too. Intonation is spot on too. Mine is compensated for heavy strings (ie .11 and above w/ wound G).

I would really like to put one on my Les Paul Recording however it has the schaller 'harmonica' bridge which has different post/spacings etc.
    These look impressive! What happens if you ever need to adjust intonation though?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by timfernandes
    These look impressive! What happens if you ever need to adjust intonation though?
    Well unfortunately, you can't. It really relies on the bridge being put in the right spot to begin with. Not all guitars are like this- seen several guitars with TOM bridges that couldn't be adjusted because the bridge was in the wrong place. When ordering you can specify the type/gauge of strings and it is compensated accordingly.

User Info Menu

Don't have an AS93, but do have an AS103, which I like a lot. I think perhaps the most important difference between AS73 and AS93 is the pickups - the 73 I think has ceramic magnet ones, and the 93 has alnico magnet ones, which in theory would have a bit of a sweeter tone to them. I'm one of those people who tend to change the pickups in guitars anyhow though, so that wouldn't really sway me either way. For what it's worth, just one person's opinion - but if you like the looks of the AS93 more, and it seems to call to you, I'd go the extra and get that one - these things may on paper seem trivial, but for me, having something that looks good and inspires, and gives you that pride of ownership - it makes a difference.

User Info Menu

Never owned an AS73, but like Meggy I'm a big fan of the higher model number Ibanez 335 types. In my case I prefer the AS103 with Super58 Customs... I think bang for buck saving and going with the AS103 is a smart move. Overall nicer woods and appointments, 5 piece neck, great fret work. You see one of the AS103s in burl or spalted maple jump on it - they're even finer and well worth the investment. Here's a video of a buddy of mine from the old Ibanez Collectors World Forum, Tuff Lion.. In the fall of 2016 while he was away caring for his daughter his house burned to the ground, all his recording gear, recordings and all his amps and guitars were totally destroyed... Having lost greatly that year (divorce, passing of my Mother) I felt compelled to give him this AS103bm.

YMMV

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ
    Never owned an AS73, but like Meggy I'm a big fan of the higher model number Ibanez 335 types. In my case I prefer the AS103 with Super58 Customs... I think bang for buck saving and going with the AS103 is a smart move. Overall nicer woods and appointments, 5 piece neck, great fret work.

YMMV
    As someone with an AS103, I wouldn't disagree BigMike - if the OP can find one second hand at a fair price, that would be a great buy IMO - but I don't think in the current Ibanez line of semi-acoustics? And the current version AS93 does have the Super 58 pickups it seems.

- my AS103 came with Super 58 Customs, which I believe were a kind of cheaper version of the S58? Do agree about the 5 piece neck and fret work on the 103, that is great, but I reckon the 93 will still be a very nice guitar.

User Info Menu

I bought one last September. I' m more or less happy with the instrument. I really like the size of the neck, the fretwork is fine, and it keeps in tune. I think the pickups are ok for my purposes right now, so I have no complaints. I love the finish on the guitar. My one complaint is that the lower strap screw was stripped when I bought it, or something happened a few days after, as it pulled out after about a week. I was mildly annoyed, but just fixed it myself with toothpicks and glue. I do think it is better than the 73 and I would purchase it again, though I am definitely needing to get a hard tail strat to complement it

User Info Menu

I'm in agreement with Mike and Meggy unless you have an immediate need, price point constraint and / or a color preference as the 73's are available in a wider color palette and the price on any given day will be less than a 93.

I have an AM93 (A slightly reduced size 15" version of the AS93) an AS103 and (can you tell I like Ibanez semi's?) an AS73. Visually the 93's are in another universe away from the 73. Also patient shopping can get you a 93 for the same for nearly the same price as a 73.

Be aware if you are considering used, older Ibanez entry level models were supplied stock with ACH pups where newer ones have "Classic Elite" pups which I have read better reviews on than the ACH pups.

PS, you may also consider the AM93 model with a 15" body (similar to an ES339 or 336 by Gibson) and even more color choices available.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    I'm in agreement with Mike and Meggy unless you have an immediate need, price point constraint and / or a color preference as the 73's are available in a wider color palette and the price on any given day will be less than a 93.

I have an AM93 (A slightly reduced size 15" version of the AS93) an AS103 and (can you tell I like Ibanez semi's?) an AS73. Visually the 93's are in another universe away from the 73. Also patient shopping can get you a 93 for the same for nearly the same price as a 73.

Be aware if you are considering used, older Ibanez entry level models were supplied stock with ACH pups where newer ones have "Classic Elite" pups which I have read better reviews on than the ACH pups.

PS, you may also consider the AM93 model with a 15" body (similar to an ES339 or 336 by Gibson) and even more color choices available.
    The more I explore the clearer the 93 becomes my choice. I had an Epi339 at one point and thought it was a great buy but I want the experience of the larger body this time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vashondan
    The more I explore the clearer the 93 becomes my choice. I had an Epi339 at one point and thought it was a great buy but I want the experience of the larger body this time.
    Re the bigger body size - for a long time (decades!) I avoided 335 or Ibby AS style semi-acoustics because I just didn't like the ergonomics with the large body with the big area below the bridge, plus the bridge location pushing the neck further out than I felt it should be. ...Then I got the AS103, and completely changed my mind - I had been absolutely wrong, it's just great to use. Felt a bit unfamiliar for about a week, then I was fine - really no problem adapting. The big body size supports the right forearm really nicely, and the fretboard falls into a nice natural position also.

So, to get to the point, I think you're right re the larger body size, and won't regret it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Meggy
    Re the bigger body size - for a long time (decades!) I avoided 335 or Ibby AS style semi-acoustics because I just didn't like the ergonomics with the large body with the big area below the bridge, plus the bridge location pushing the neck further out than I felt it should be. ...Then I got the AS103, and completely changed my mind - I had been absolutely wrong, it's just great to use. Felt a bit unfamiliar for about a week, then I was fine - really no problem adapting. The big body size supports the right forearm really nicely, and the fretboard falls into a nice natural position also.

So, to get to the point, I think you're right re the larger body size, and won't regret it.
    Thanks for that. I think I'll like it. I love my Teles but I think the support for my right arm will be cool!

User Info Menu

Thanks for that. I think I'll like it. I love my Teles but I think the support for my right arm will be cool!
    I think you will too. Just for that first week, when I got my AS103, and using the guitar on a strap, I found I hit a few wrong notes, just because the frets didn't lay quite in the same place as my other guitars - which are strat, tele, or a couple of more PRS-style small semi-hollows. But that passed pretty quickly - now I swap between them with no bother at all. But yes, there is something cool about the full-size semi-acoustic design I think.

User Info Menu

I'm newly inspired by learning more about Jazz and have a learning path. I own two Teles and a champ and 5e3 clones. Can get some nice tones from the combos but am curious re when in Rome....What are your thoughts about this guitar? Is it worth the extra $$ over the 73? What do you like and what would you change?
    Hello,

While a Tele is a perfect tool for jazz sound I just bought a used AS93 in my search for the guitar I'm most confortable with.. and I don't have yet a point of view about the sound, but the neck is fantastic, not to thin, not to thick, quite large and flat... I don't know how seasoned guitarist will judge it, but it's more or les the perfect neck to learn jazz ...
    My personal experience is that when on a learning path, the global ergonomic of the guitar (handling, neck, weight balance..) are more important than the quality of the electronics. If needed the electronic can be replaced, not the woods. And under this aspect, the AS93 seems, for the short time i'have spent with it, really great.

Luc

User Info Menu

I think the only diffference between a 73 and a 93 is the bling and fancier finishes.

I love mine, and the only change I'm considering is putting a p-90 type in the neck, to make an already versatile guitar even more so.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Meggy

My 93 was my first electric guitar in almost six years -- I played flat-top acoustic only during that period -- and before then I had owned an SG. Putting on the 93 felt like strapping on an aircraft carrier the first couple of weeks, but now two years of daily playing has it feeling like my comfort zone.

User Info Menu

I ended up getting the AS153. I'm loving it and its taking some getting used to after only playing Teles for a long time. I'm almost there. I'm confused about the pickup difference between the 153 and the 93 based on something I read in this thread. The 93 has the Super 58's while the 153 has the Super 58 Custom. I read earlier that the Customs are the lesser quality of the two but in a more expensive instrument. Are they lesser quality pickups? I have no complaints but am curious.

User Info Menu

I bought one of these a few years ago---gave it to my son who didn't play it for a couple of years, so I took it back.

All my long life has been devoted to full-bodied archtops; this was quite a change for me. It has become my favorite, next to the Ibanez AFJ 91.

I have had it professionally set up and my luthier-friend had the neck p/u (Super 58) rewound by a famous p/u designer and builder. I asked that the sound be fattened up. I get a very acceptable jazz (solo guitar) sound out of it through each of my jazz amps.

This is a very comfortable and easy-to-play guitar that compares very favorably to the classics in semi-hollows.

Ron
    CT

User Info Menu

AS-93 has a few differences: 3 piece - stronger neck (maple and mahogany); better pickups; fancier top; binding on neck; gold colored pickups and hardware. Also, consider the very similar body size/ AM-93 model.

User Info Menu

I had my 58 rewired by a great p/u builder, asking for a fatter sound. I only use the neck p/u and the outcome is great. Now, it doesn't sound like a full-sized archtop, but the sound is quite acceptable for solo jazz guitar. Also, some of the tips I got from users regarding the best jazz amp tunings has helped a great deal. Mind you, I'm a long-time player who always used full-sized archtops---the AM93 is my first semi-hollow.
    RonV
    CT