The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    nobody ever said it was easy!!

hah

Attachment 44863

cheers
    OR

I always think I've hired that guy, but usually learn I've actually hired this guy :

buzzing on one string only, not fret buzz?-thepinkpanther2-jpg

.....: ).........

User Info Menu

A sympathetic resonance shouldn't normally be caused by playing on a particular string but by playing particular notes. A buzz that occurs on a particular string and only at particular frets can be caused by frets that aren't seated properly.

Any tips for making a stethoscope? I often have to deal with buzzes on my resonator too; pin-pointing the source on any acoustic instrument can be near impossible once the box picks up and amplifies the sound. Once that happens, any buzz will appear to come from somewhere inside, or from the saddle area...

I've found that buzz caused by a saddle slot is often dependent on (finger)picking direction.

Also, don't underestimate what those PU wires can do if they're allowed to rest against the top or back!

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    it's the bridge saddle slot..too wide/deep for string...causing sitaring effect...fairly common

cure depends on what kind of bridge you have...but fill the slot a bit, and the buzz should disappear

cheers
    I've read this statement before, so I don't doubt its true in many cases. But the strange thing is that I just started having the exact same problem as OP when I switched to flatwound 11s up from roundwound 10s a few weeks ago. If this was my problem, wouldn't the wider gauge string fill the slot? For what its worth, the string (its just my G) sounds fine when plucked open. It only makes the sitar sound when fretted. But fret anywhere on the neck, and its a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by mccoshan
    I have a fairly faint but audible buzzing sound on the third string of my archtop. Raising or lowering the bridge does not seem to affect the buzzing and none of the other strings buzz which brings me to believe it is not just normal fret buzz. Also it isn't a problem with nut as it still buzzes even when fretted at various points
    I love archtops but the main reason I play a solid body guitar is I can never get any archtop to not have some sort of weird buzzing or humming issue. They seems so fragile and delicate and any slight adjustment I make runs the risk of totally ruining the sound. I change the strings and move the floating bridge a millimeter, and BOOM, the whole thing is a mess. Its just not worth it to me to have to constantly chase these problems. That said, I've never owned one that cost more than about 800 bucks new. Maybe higher end archtops are built better. I don't know. I'm having the same problem on my Les Paul right now though. Can't seem to figure it out either.

User Info Menu

A lot of these problems are caused by changing conditions where the archtop is kept, usually excessive humidity. Mine has it worse than ever right now, its unplayable after a recent setup. Giving it a few days..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VanEpsInDeChirico
    If this was my problem, wouldn't the wider gauge string fill the slot? For what its worth, the string (its just my G) sounds fine when plucked open. It only makes the sitar sound when fretted. But fret anywhere on the neck, and its a problem.
    Do you have a micrometer? Claimed gauges depend on how the manufacturer measures them, and going 1 step higher or lower (10s to 11s in your case) one can find 1 or 2 strings in the heavier set that are the same gauge as in the lighter set.
    Also, what you describe sounds more like fret buzz; saddle buzz would normally also occur on the open string. Maybe the flat-wound string is more flexible and reaches a wider amplitude?

User Info Menu

IMO every guitarist should learn to do basic setups and maintenance. You can pay someone to do it, but it requires constant attention as the seasons change, if you have the action as low as possible. If you pay someone, I think you should have them set the action high, with adequate relief, so you don't have to keep paying as time goes on. Plalyability will suffer, but your pocketbook not so much. Only you can decide which is more important. And with archtops, there will always be buzzes which come and go, because there are so many things which can vibrate sympathetically with the top and back. It's possible with planks, but much rarer. I've even had objects in the room vibrate sympathetically - pictures on the wall, whatever can move. I once spent hours, over several days, chasing a buzz which turned out to be a metal plate hanging on a wall. It's a never-ending battle for truth, justice, and the American Way, to quote a very old TV phrase. You don't have to be Superman to solve it all, but it can't hurt.

User Info Menu

(why) would a purely acoustic archtop be more prone to buzzing than a ditto flattop?

Try a resonator, for giggles... A real guitar for the geeks and nerds, with plenty of screws and mechanical bits that can buzz in all kinds of ways. I once called for help on a forum about a new buzz, only to find (after a day or two) that it was the sleeve button of a new shirt that resonated on the top plate... but I'm still convinced that I should not tighten a few of its screws as much as I would otherwise.

(Good thing I used to ride a Guzzi, in that light )

User Info Menu

In general, archtops have more hardware to loosen and buzz than flat-tops. Pickguard/fingerrests and their attachment hardware, pickups mounted into or on top of the body, wiring inside the body, metal bridge parts, tailpieces, et alia. Anything that can possibly buzz, will.

User Info Menu

Most flattops also have wiring inside these days, and that rarely causes trouble AFAIK. The limited examples I've seen do suggest more care is taken to fix those wires properly.

I did write "purely acoustic" archtops though

User Info Menu

Mine turned out to be the bridge slot of the high E string. Just take the string out of the little slot, move it a bit to the side and the sitar sound stops. I have had that happen on all my electrics after some time, and you either file the slot on the saddle a bit, or replace the saddle altogether. But it was the first time i had it happen on a wooden archtop bridge, wouldn't have guessed it..