The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: Which combination sounds best to you?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aria + white Princeton

11 45.83%
  • Aria + brown Princeton

5 20.83%
  • Gibson + white Princeton

2 8.33%
  • Gibson + brown Princeton

6 25.00%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 30 of 30

User Info Menu

Try them low on Fenders sometime. Wow! They really sing. People don't stop to think about the fact that the pole pieces on Fender pickups ARE the magnets. They really exert a pull against the strings. When the pickups are close to the strings they tend to sour the tone, when compared to Gibsons. Lower them down and they really open up.

Don't worry. Just turn the volume up on the amp and control things from the volume knob on your guitar.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Try them low on Fenders sometime. Wow! They really sing. People don't stop to think about the fact that the pole pieces on Fender pickups ARE the magnets. They really exert a pull against the strings. When the pickups are close to the strings they tend to sour the tone, when compared to Gibsons. Lower them down and they really open up.

Don't worry. Just turn the volume up on the amp and control things from the volume knob on your guitar.
    ^^^^ This! They're not called "sweet spots" for nothing!

User Info Menu

I promise not to hijack, but the Parts-caster I built from a neck/body I got from Hammertone is so wonderfully _right_ with the Rumpelstiltskin White Ropes pickups screwed down low to the body, that the guitar just sustains and sustains. I have never owned even a Les Paul that retains so much string energy--acoustically as well as electrically--as this one. The guitar is SWEET and plays just gorgeously and wonderfully in tune. My buddy, who has owned scores of Telecasters, swears he has never heard a better one.

Sorry for the semi-hijack.

Ahem...it's the Aria/White Princeton by a nose.

User Info Menu

Initially the sounds were pretty close, but soon the Aria pulled ahead with somewhat better "definition"
    Results in person might be different, but on the PC speakers that's what came across.

Great job on the video edit, and the playing. I'll listen again before casting vote above

I just bought a new Eminence "Wheelhouse" 12" speaker, it's different tech than anything else I have, maybe not as versatile but does the "warm" thing very well, and as some reviewers had cited, it seems to really react more to the tone controls on the amp.
    The point of mentioning that, is to recall that speakers sound different even with small changes in ambient conditions, room size, even humidity seems to alter sound from these paper/hemp cones.
    John

User Info Menu

Aria + white and Gibson + brown make good pairs. It seems to me that Gibson's output is a bit lower at times in the recording which gives Aria an unfair advantage. It makes Aria sound fuller and clearer (at least more than it already is).
    I chose Gibson + brown because that pair seems a bit more versatile in the electric to acoustic sound spectrum. Aria has more acoustic edge and nice L-5 like depth. I'd prefer Aria for solo guitar, Gibson for band settings. But I'm splitting micro fibers.
    Oh great playing by the way.