The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 28 of 28

User Info Menu

Sorry to be so obsessed about strings but I think I have narrowed down my string choice to try (first anyway) to 3 different options for my Exl-1. 1. Based on a friends recommendation I am considering one round wound string, the Thomastik-infield JazzBe-Bop strings. Next, the Flatwound, Thomastik-infield Jazz Swing strings. And finally the Flatwound D’Addario Chromes. I suspect all these strings would sound good played with an amp. That being the case which of the 3 would likely provide the "best full sound" acoustically? Would "string noise" be a concern for the first choice round wound strings? Any comments on any of these strings based on experience using any of these strings? Thanks! Bill
    Last edited by Bluegrass Bill Ward; 08-17-2017 at 05:11 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Robertkoa
    Regarding P 90s - I think for versatility you are far better off having regular full Humbuckers with a Parallel Push Pull switch to get a clearer thinner sound.

My thinking is unless you have a few Guitars - don't pigeonhole yourself into a bright thinner sound of P90s which you are going to roll back the Tone Control anyway.

P 90's generally have a bright Rockabilly kind of sound especially on Modern Guitars.

I am sure there are examples of Classic Era Tones on P90s with Famous Jazzers using them - but on bigger body deeper Guitars..so I am curious about the
    D'Angelico's too ...but a warning on P90s.

For example a 335 barely gets a Jazz Tone IMO ...put P90s on one and even further away from Trad.Jazz tone.

ES 137 actually sounds much closer to a Trad Jazz Tone IMO..but with P90s ...bye bye to the Trad Jazz Tones.

* I don't even Play Trad Jazz but I can hear very well the Tones.
    Unless you love P90s they are a specialty IMO.
    Puzzling. Jim Hall's ES175 on his earliest albums had P90s, as did Herb Ellis. It wasn't an obscure or fringe pickup. Grant Green didn't use a P90 exactly, but it was similar. I personally prefer the Humbucker sound, but the P90 on full sized archtops has a very distinguished history on albums that set the standard for classic jazz tone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Puzzling. Jim Hall's ES175 on his earliest albums had P90s, as did Herb Ellis. It wasn't an obscure or fringe pickup. Grant Green didn't use a P90 exactly, but it was similar. I personally prefer the Humbucker sound, but the P90 on full sized archtops has a very distinguished history on albums that set the standard for classic jazz tone.
    Interesting...how did they handle the Hum from the Single Coil Design?

Just saying ..if you have a choice and I know more about pickups than Archtops...a Humbucker with a Parallel Switch gets close to a P90 or now we have noiseless P90s.

Also probably MORE IMPORTANT and I anticipated people telling me about past Famous Master Players sounding great on a P90 in Neck for Jazz:

You are comparing a 1 year Player to Herb Ellis ...Jim Hall...

You want to hear some ' regular ' Guitarists playing a ES 175 ( a very dark warm Guitar ) with P 90s or P94s go on Youtube and search. Not too pretty.

A P90 type is one of the most touch sensitive / pick angle sensitive / finger sensitive Pickups there is.

If you can handle it..but a Beginner is just going to end up having to be really careful to work around all that sensitivity...
    A nice forgiving Humbucker would be my advice unless someone has a lot of Pick Control, flatwounds
    etc.
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 08-18-2017 at 10:29 AM.