The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 65

User Info Menu

I've got a bonus coming in December.

I'm looking for a carved solid (not laminate) archtop. Electric.

Which one would you buy and why? $2500 budget.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The used market will be your best bet IMO. In that price range newer Gibsons are out, barring a minor miracle. On the other hand, with a little patience, I guarantee that you can get your hands on a Heritage Eagle of some sort. That's almost definitely where I would go.

I'm assuming that you want the top to be a traditional spruce top. Heritage also has done carved maple and mahogany tops. Is that the case or are you flexible? Do you want a set pickup or floating?

If you wanted to go vintage you could get a Gibson (L-50 maybe) or Epiphone acoustic archtop and add a floating pickup.

Do you know more specifics about what you would like? What are the circumstances under which you'll be playing it (just at home, gigging)?
    Last edited by ThatRhythmMan; 07-27-2017 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    Do you know more specifics about what you would like?
    Little concerned about my own confirmation bias. I've never played with a floating pickup. Not sure about type of wood. Rather than guide the responses with I think I may want, I'd rather hear what you'd do with the money. Definitely used though.

User Info Menu

I'd look for an ES 165

User Info Menu

I'd save it toward an L5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Luther
    Little concerned about my own confirmation bias. I've never played with a floating pickup. Not sure about type of wood. Rather than guide the responses with I think I may want, I'd rather hear what you'd do with the money. Definitely used though.
    Personally, I'm of the belief that a carved
    top is wasted if a hole is cut in it and components are mounted to it. The acoustic benefits seem far too small at that point to me.

If you want set pickups and aren't totally opposed to laminates, I would tell you to watch for a deal on a Gibson Tal Farlow. They can be found for $2500, although around $3000 is more typical. I think the Tal is by far the most for your money when it comes to Gibson archtops. They are Custom Shop builds at around the same used price as an ES-175. I would take a Tal (in fact I have more than once) over an L5 any day.

If I was buying carved and wanted a set pickup without going over $2500, I would buy a Heritage Eagle for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    If I was buying carved and wanted a set pickup without going over $2500, I would buy a Heritage Eagle for sure.
    Why the Heritage Eagle? And what is about the Tal Farlow that you like?

User Info Menu

$2,500 should get you where you want to be. I bought a used 2002 Heritage Eagle for $2,600 and had Kent Armstrong wind me one of his PAF floaters and I am very happy. It's as close to an L-5 as I will get. Also, I bought a used 1974 Gibson ES-175 for $2,500... had it refretted and i will not sell either of them. The Eagle with floater and carved top has a wonderful rich acoustic quality to the tone. The 175 gets the classic full rich hollow body tone without the resonant sensitivity (feedback threshold). All the best on your quest.
    Last edited by vernon; 07-28-2017 at 01:17 PM.

User Info Menu

I think I'd look at an Eastman. They have carved solid tops, and can be had in that price range. I like mine.

User Info Menu

I have 3 archtops. A Hagstrom Viking Deluxe [335 style] (around $1000 new), a Guild X175-B laminate (about $1000 new) and used Gibson LeGrand carved solid (more than 3 times your buget used).

The LeGrand is without a doubt the best sounding guitar but was many times the cost of the other 2 - even used. Floating pickup, single volume control, etc.

I have played a couple Heritage models, and was very impressed with the quality and tone. Beautiful binding and simply deserving of your consideration. 2 of my archtops have dual pickups and one has a single neck pick up. The single has the "tone" I was looking for and prefer, for the music I play. It is warmer and simply easier to dial in. A fellow player has a '50's era Gibson with a single pick up and It has the finest tone I have ever heard. He runs .013 flatwounds. Used I think he paid around $1700. I think it was an L-50. A pick up had been added and he went to a rosewood tailpiece. Simply an amazing tone!

Determine if a single pick up or dual pickup is more suited for your playing.
    Last edited by LeGrand; 07-28-2017 at 02:16 PM.

User Info Menu

I second the idea of an Eastman. You can get one of their best within your budget and you won't find better value.

User Info Menu

Among members here the Tal is held in pretty high regard, even by those that have much "better" (read as expensive) models.

User Info Menu

I'd look beyond carved and consider a laminate (ES175, Tal Farlow, etc.)

FWIW, the L4CES would be a great choice in a solid top in near this price.

User Info Menu

Eastman John Pisano AR880

User Info Menu

Epiphone Elitist Broadway. Solid woods, L5ces vibe, somewhat faster neck. Lovely guitar, super-well-made. Sounds awesome.

User Info Menu

Take your pick.
    Attached Images Attached Images You're given 00 to buy an archtop.  Which one?-jazzica-all-front_9023-jpg You're given 00 to buy an archtop.  Which one?-jazzica-all-back_9024-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 07-27-2017 at 10:05 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Epiphone Elitist Broadway. Solid woods, L5ces vibe, somewhat faster neck. Lovely guitar, super-well-made. Sounds awesome.
    These have solid pressed spruce tops which is certainly another alternative. Lawson is right. These are very high quality guitars. You should be able to find one south of $2k.

User Info Menu

More of a semi-hollow but probably a second hand es-339...

If I had to get a full blown archtop, I've played a John Pisano signature Eastman, not a bad shout at all.

User Info Menu

Why the Heritage Eagle? And what is about the Tal Farlow that you like?
    If you really want a carved top a Heritage Eagle will be as well built, if not better than most Gibsons for much less. It's hard to beat in the used archtop market for value, as are the other Heritage archtops.

I think a Tal Farlow can do everything an L5 can do, will be built just as well by the same people in the Gibson Custom Shop, and can be had for half the price of an L5. While I think it's an incredible value, I actually prefer the Tal to an L5. I have 2 and they are my go to gigging archtops. They sound great in the mix with other instruments, cut through beautifully for solos, and have few feedback issues.

User Info Menu

I think that's a price point that would allow you to find the perfect guitar to play if you're a player first. Perfection is based on a playing/instrument match.
    I'd get something nobody else could provide. For me, that'd be a 15" seven string crafted in China and finished/fitted here. For that money, I would get that. And for me, it'd be a million dollar dream guitar. Nobody else will suggest it, I know.
    My point being, the more you know about your own needs based upon your playing experience, the more irrelevant another person's ideal is. If you're going to play it.
    I bought my dream guitar a long time ago. Gibson Johnny Smith. Saved forever to buy it. Loved it. But in the end the size didn't fit me. And it didn't allow me to play the things I played the moment I picked up a GB-10. Now I play 7 string. 6 is like a missing string. That's what I need and it's nothing like the ideal I imagined when I didn't know my physical match.
    Your own preferences-string gauge, action, body size, arm length, musical taste... all have a profound bearing on what advice you'd give yourself.
    Yeah the opinions are valuable but remember, all our advices are informed by loves, needs and fantasies that belong with our hands. It's your hands that should earn the right to know what's right for you.
    There are guitars that are undeniable gems, if you're a collector. They have the pedigree names and are highly recommended even by those who've never even touched, no less played one. There are guitars that will allow you to be the best player you will be, they are musical instruments that no one's advice should hold sway.
    Might you consider a great less expensive guitar like an Epi elite Byrdland, or a Guild jazz box ( X- series) and still have the reserve to get something perfect that no one else would know?
    Just one opinion to consider
    David
    Last edited by TH; 07-28-2017 at 12:42 PM.

User Info Menu

+1 on a used Heritage Eagle classic or golden eagle. The budget should get you there and these are mighty fine instruments.

User Info Menu

If you are not in a rush, a Gibson L-7, Gibson L-4 or a Gibson L4CES can be found at that price point.

IMO, the only guitar that can beat a carved Gibson archtop is a Carved D'Angelico archtop, and those start at about $7500.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Take your pick.
    They look angry, better get strings on them so they can find some good vibrations!

User Info Menu

Used Heritage Eagle would fit nicely...or how about a NEW Ibanez AF200 Prestige?
    $,2,299 incl. case.
    Hollow Bodies ARTSTAR - AF200 Artstar | Ibanez guitars

User Info Menu

No affiliation
    Gibson L-50 Sunburst 1943-44 (s0-37) | Reverb

These Gibson L-50 are usually increadibly good for the price. Plus you're way under your budget. I would personaly add a floating Charlie Christian mike from Pete Biltoft. You're still under your budget.

You'll have here a fine vintage carved top instrument.