The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

There is STILL a prime time Jazz only oriented station in South Florida, WDNA 88.9FM. Where are others in the U.S. and worldwide?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My favorite to listen to at work or when just chillin' is WBGO Newark NJ

WBGO | The Jazz Source

User Info Menu

I spent a lot of my early adult life listening to KCSM in San Mateo, California. They really turned me on to jazz. I don't live close enough to pick it up via the airwaves anymore, but nowadays they have streaming from their web site and an app for my phone. I can listen to them anywhere I am in the world as long as there is internet access.

KCSM Community Stations | San Mateo, California

User Info Menu

KCLU, a public radio station in SoCal, featured NPR talk programming during the day, but had nights featuring jazz -- and on Sundays, a wonderful three-hour program called The Blues Shack, featuring blues from Blind Lemon up to modern-day artists. I'd plug in and play along to whatever they threw on.

I'm not sure if they still do this -- I moved to Texas five years ago -- but if they still do, it's worth listening.

User Info Menu

91.1 Jazz FM in Toronto.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by krusty
    91.1 Jazz FM in Toronto.
    Yup, and it comes in great in New York State.

User Info Menu

From WBFO 88.7 in Buffalo, I *think* you can get this anywhere free on your computer. Listening right now to "How High the Moon" by some big band.

Jazz on WBFO | WBFO
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 07-25-2017 at 08:56 AM.

User Info Menu

WBGO is great, though I stream it through my computer

User Info Menu

WWUH, the radio station associated with the University of Hartford, has jazz in the mornings, M - F. They also broadcast live the Hartford Jazz Society's Monday night concerts from Bushnell Park in downtown Hartford during the summer.

Moving to downtown Philly in a couple of weeks. Anyone know if WBGO (Newark, NJ) comes in there? Any good local Philly stations?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    My favorite to listen to at work or when just chillin' is WBGO Newark NJ

WBGO | The Jazz Source
    Thanks for the tip.

User Info Menu

KNTU, which originates from the University of North Texas, appears to be available online. As I am sure you are aware, the university has a longtime, vibrant Jazz program that has many distinguished graduates.

Unlike many "Jazz stations," the station is not slanted towards Smooth Jazz. It is a mix of contemporary and traditional Jazz that differs from what one thinks of when one thinks of Smooth Jazz. This is my observation. I don't ever remember hearing Kenny G or Najee being played on this station. I could be wrong.

Here is the link that should get you there:
    http://tunein.com/radio/The-One-881-s34379/

User Info Menu

WJAZ, from the foot of Mt. Belzoni.
    No static at all.

User Info Menu

WDCB 90.9 in Chicago area

User Info Menu

KNKX Jazz station in Washington State has several listening options:

Listening Options | KNKX

User Info Menu

KUVO Denver Colorado. PBS station broadcasts 24 Hours a day. Live steam with app.

User Info Menu

WJSU Jackson, MS

WJSU | Cool and Current

User Info Menu

Kmhd 89.1 Portland Oregon
    easily the best jazz programming in the country

User Info Menu

...sumpin' bout Lester the Nightfly at WJAZ Baton Rouge..?

User Info Menu

San Diego-based full-time, non-commercial Jazz radio station, streaming free worldwide, hosted by 40 professional jazz experts, jazz musicians ...
    San Diego's Jazz 88.3 FM - KSDS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

91.5 KJZZ in Phoenix. It's the local NPR station and has jazz shows in the evenings. Sundays are old time Americana blues.

KJZZ 91.5 Stream
    Last edited by TedBPhx; 07-25-2017 at 10:20 PM.

User Info Menu

I'm routinely waking up and having breakfast ( around noon, maybe it's a brunch?) to WBGO streaming on my computer. I like it! I bought plenty of music already just because they played something that caught my ear, and they post a playlist too with the links.
    Last edited by Hep To The Jive; 07-26-2017 at 12:11 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    WJAZ, from the foot of Mt. Belzoni.
    No static at all.
    Great station, sounds best with plenty of java and chesterfield kings...

User Info Menu

WRTI 90.1 in Philadelphia 6pm-6am jazz, steaming 24hrs a day on the website

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cdavisshannon
    WRTI 90.1 in Philadelphia 6pm-6am jazz, steaming 24hrs a day on the website
    In So. Fla NPR (WLRN) for many years used the night slot for Jazz programming and they still do. I "hope" I am seeing a trend here with full time Jazz stations coming online.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bmw2002
    WWUH, the radio station associated with the University of Hartford, has jazz in the mornings, M - F. They also broadcast live the Hartford Jazz Society's Monday night concerts from Bushnell Park in downtown Hartford during the summer.

Moving to downtown Philly in a couple of weeks. Anyone know if WBGO (Newark, NJ) comes in there? Any good local Philly stations?
    Just so you know WBGO is on Iheartradio and the bandwidth used for Iheart is VERY low. I get non interrupted streaming even after my phone drops to 3g after my 5 gigs of 4g bucket are exhausted.

Listen to WBGO Live - NY & NJ’s only 24 hour jazz station | iHeartRadio