The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 30

User Info Menu

It's been a long time since I had an LP and these highly regarded 2016s have been around long enough to find them on the used market. I saw this on CL and pounced.

A Les Paul can be a great guitar, but you have to find the right one. There's something about these faded studios, Gibson just did everything right. The neck is divine, rounded '59. That's what sold me on this guitar. As soon as I picked it up, I knew it was good.

And believe it or not, I think the cost cutting measures employed for such a low end model adds to it, somehow. Why, I'm not sure. But I think the plain maple top (as opposed to fine grain) and the undoubtedly multi-piece mahogany body add to it's character, and not in a bad way... It does have a great rosewood FB. The tulip tuners perform very well. What else do you need?

It's quite resonant. I'm sure the "modern weight relief" has something to do with that. I'm lovin' it.

I wasn't sure about the Burstbuckers at first, but after I set it up with proper strings and messed with the pickup height, my worries started to go away. I still may change to Seth Lovers or something like that at some point, but this is by no means imperative.

I don't like the narrow string width at the nut, but I'll be putting a new nut on it soon. Oh, and it came in one of those weird shaped Gibson USA gig bags. Horrible design! It protects the guitar well, but it's big and bulky and, believe it or not, the guitar barely fits in it! You have to place it just right and struggle a bit to get the headstock not to stick out of it. Unbelievable. I'll be looking for a cheap case soon. Anyone have any recommendations?

I've attached some stock photos, just to give an idea. Pretty much looks just like that. I'll post actual photos soon and try to post a sound clip when I have it playing the way I want.

This is the best NGD I've had in a very long time! I wasn't expecting it to be this good...

Gibson 2016 Les Paul Studio Faded Series T-lp_st_16_wb_body-jpg

Gibson 2016 Les Paul Studio Faded Series T-glpstwbch100671a-jpg

Gibson 2016 Les Paul Studio Faded Series T-glpstwbch100671g-jpg

Gibson 2016 Les Paul Studio Faded Series T-aclhyifqfixae60bbdhb-jpg

Gibson 2016 Les Paul Studio Faded Series T-mg_5191-jpg

Gibson 2016 Les Paul Studio Faded Series T-modern_weight_reliev-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Gibson 2016 Les Paul Studio Faded Series T-160004624_lg3-jpg Gibson 2016 Les Paul Studio Faded Series T-7100_gibson_les_paul_studio_worn_brown_104121375_1-jpg Gibson 2016 Les Paul Studio Faded Series T-preview-jpg Gibson 2016 Les Paul Studio Faded Series T-_86-jpg 
    Last edited by furtom; 07-24-2017 at 11:00 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Looks good. I love my Les Paul - an Epi Black Beauty. Yours looks great, and I'm sure you'll be able to get the sound you want from it. Have fun!

User Info Menu

I think i looks awesome, you have good taste.
    (Would look even better with all black hardware.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Looks good. I love my Les Paul - an Epi Black Beauty. Yours looks great, and I'm sure you'll be able to get the sound you want from it. Have fun!
    Thanks Rob. Love your stuff on YouTube, BTW.

Funny you mention your Epi, I had my eye on the 1955 with P-90s, but went for this, instead. I'm glad I did. You know, used, it was actually quite a bit cheaper...

It already sounds great with just 11s. Since I'm changing the nut anyway, I didn't get into setting it up with anything heavier. 11s with a wound G is the minimum for me to sound good.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I think i looks awesome, you have good taste.
    (Would look even better with all black hardware.)
    Thank you my friend, but doesn't it already have black hardware?

User Info Menu

i'm always at odds with the austerity of the studios vs what i'd like them to look like, even though i'm ok with jrs and specials somehow. but that's a sweet finish and you'll never see me turn walnut away. nice work!

always wondered about the weight relief. always kinda hoped they'd sound different- maybe even a little chambered, like a duo jet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by furtom
    Thank you my friend, but doesn't it already have black hardware?
    I mean like THIS.

Gibson 2016 Les Paul Studio Faded Series T-black-hardware-jpgGibson 2016 Les Paul Studio Faded Series T-da_black_tail-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feet
    i'm always at odds with the austerity of the studios vs what i'd like them to look like, even though i'm ok with jrs and specials somehow. but that's a sweet finish and you'll never see me turn walnut away. nice work!

always wondered about the weight relief. always kinda hoped they'd sound different- maybe even a little chambered, like a duo jet.
    I like pretty things! But I have to say, there's something satisfying about the basicness of this guitar. No BS, just what is needed. I do not believe there is any walnut anywhere on the guitar...

I'm sure the weight relief affects the tone, but it's not a stark difference. It's probably got less sustain than a solid LP, but with a more woody sound. Anyway, that's how I hear it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I mean like THIS.
    Oh, that. Cool. I'd need a Benedetto or a Bartaloni for that, I think.

User Info Menu

I like pretty things! But I have to say, there's something satisfying about the basicness of this guitar. No BS, just what is needed. I do not believe there is any walnut anywhere on the guitar...

I'm sure the weight relief affects the tone, but it's not a stark difference. It's probably got less sustain than a solid LP, but with a more woody sound. Anyway, that's how I hear it
    no, i meant the finish. it's called walnut, no? at least i thought it was. i have it on the back of a few of my guitars for some reason. haven't really seen it much on the top since the 70s, which is a shame. it's a handsome devil.

i sometimes struggle with the concept of a special when these are cheaper. there's more guitar on a studio! for less! its weird to me sometimes. i'd like to try a slab since i already have a regular les paul but there's some kind of block in place. i don't really need a studio, but the concept of value wants to steer me that way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feet
    no, i meant the finish. it's called walnut, no? at least i thought it was. i have it on the back of a few of my guitars for some reason. haven't really seen it much on the top since the 70s, which is a shame. it's a handsome devil.

i sometimes struggle with the concept of a special when these are cheaper. there's more guitar on a studio! for less! its weird to me sometimes. i'd like to try a slab since i already have a regular les paul but there's some kind of block in place. i don't really need a studio, but the concept of value wants to steer me that way.
    I just checked the Gibson Website. It's called worn brown satin. Hey, marketing guys have to do something get paid...

I see it's got something called a TekToid nut (marketing guys, again). Never heard of it. The way they describe it, it sounds like Tusq. Anyway, when I replace it, it's bone for me. Call me a traditionalist.

You're right. It's funny a Special would be more expensive. They can be great as well, but I'm telling you, this guitar has mojo. And used, the value is off the charts!

If you have any interest, I'd check the used market. I lucked out, this one was in as-new condition. I told the guy, "I was ready to haggle with you, but I can't do it in good conscience."

Came with gig bag and he threw in the leather strap they probably sold him at GC. Best $550 I ever spent.

User Info Menu

These are great guitars. I bought a 2017 model recently (thinner maple neck; dot inlays instead of blocks; 490R and T pickups) and thought it played and sounded great. I returned it to the shop though only because I happened to find an old Yamaha semi-hollow in a Seattle pawn shop that works better for me and was priced very nicely.

User Info Menu

Congratulations !

Lovely looking ... let the wood do the show !
    Like a nice 52 style black guard tele, i find very plain guitars so attractive.

I like it with the chrome hardware, with the strings it evens it out to black-grey-brown.

Instant G.A.S

User Info Menu

Here are some photos of the actual guitar. I let my daughter model it. She's prettier than me, anyway.

Gibson 2016 Les Paul Studio Faded Series T-20170724_202315-jpg
    Gibson 2016 Les Paul Studio Faded Series T-20170724_202331-jpg
    Gibson 2016 Les Paul Studio Faded Series T-20170724_202347-jpg
    Gibson 2016 Les Paul Studio Faded Series T-20170724_202357-jpg
    Gibson 2016 Les Paul Studio Faded Series T-20170724_202549-jpg

The bed spread just makes it, doesn't it?

User Info Menu

Play it in good health and happiness, bud.

User Info Menu

By the look on your beautiful daughter's face, its like she knows that Les Paul will eventually be hers!

Congratulations on the NGD. Play it in good health.

User Info Menu

Congratulations on a nice guitar and a wonderful child, who is infinitely more important. Treasure the child, and play the guitar in good health!

User Info Menu

i got myself a guild m20 a few months back. its just a pile of plain, satin-y mahogany. not sure why i bought it but i quite like it now. unique tone and feel. very smooth on the neck.

this is like an electric version of that. very appealing now. i hope to not research it further.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    By the look on your beautiful daughter's face, its like she knows that Les Paul will eventually be hers!

Congratulations on the NGD. Play it in good health.
    Yeah, might want to pour your own drinks from now on just to be safe. Enjoy the guitar but be CAREFUL.

Yes, I watch Forensic Files.
    Last edited by whiskey02; 07-25-2017 at 10:25 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    Yeah, might want to pour your own drinks from now on just to be safe. Enjoy the guitar but be CAREFUL.

Yes, I watch Forensic Files.
    She does seem to love it. I let her be involved from the moment I took it home. I give her lessons on a classical, so for her, electrics are totally cool!

We changed the strings together. I told her to hold the little ball and make sure it doesn't scratch the top! She was into it.

User Info Menu

Here's another nice one. I can't figure out why the cost is so much less. Seems like the only cost-cutting issue is lack of binding.

Brand New Gibson Les Paul Studio Guitar - musical instruments - by owner - sale

Gibson 2016 Les Paul Studio Faded Series T-les-paul-studio-jpg

User Info Menu

That one is actually a step or two up from the one I have. However, I think the market, at least in NY, that's a bit high at $1100, but maybe in Buffalo, where they might be rarer it's good.

When you say so much less, you mean compared to a standard or something, right? Yeah, it's got all the right ingredients to make a good guitar, but not all the bling, cheaper finish, less figured woods... all the things that can save costs. There's probably more to it than that. I'm not an LP expert, though. I'm sure the guys over at mylespaul can tell you in intricate detail what the differences are!

Mine is even cheaper because it has the "faded" finish, which basically means, they don't fill the wood and finish it as quickly as possible. It's kind of rough around the edges, but as we said, fully functional. I even like the look. I like shinny new things like any other monkey, but this makes me feel like I can relax and just play it instead of treating it like a museum piece. The benefits of a cheap guitar!

User Info Menu

FuTee, is that a Hagstrom case in your bedroom?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbow
    FuTee, is that a Hagstrom case in your bedroom?
    Good eye, my friend. it is, indeed. HJ-800

User Info Menu

Good eye, my friend. it is, indeed. HJ-800
    It is the same shape as my son's Viking case with the plush handle.

HJ800! Oh my. I always wanted to play one of those. I've tried the HJ500, nice but those Hag necks are too thin for my shovel hands.

So what's the 800 like?

User Info Menu

Congrats on the Lester. You might want to put some cash aside for a shotgun. In a few years, the young fellows will be swarming around your pretty daughter and you might need to keep them in line.

How much does she weigh? (The Lester, not the daughter)