The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34

User Info Menu

I'm sure that Gibson isn't going to reissue anything, at this point. Too many business difficulties. However, when the gorilla dust clears on the trail, and Gibson or its successor emerges, it really should reissue the late-40s/mid-50s ES-350. IMO, it's just about the best thing they ever made--for jazz (or rock and roll).

Your clip is a real testimonial to this claim.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Dear guitar Jazzers,

Thanks for sharing my enthousiasm about this ES-350. She is so responsive in terms of dynamics and versatile in terms of sound. I'll try to make more clips with her. These P90s are just too good to be true.

Cheers.

User Info Menu

I'm curious about the binding on that guitar. Is it the identical color as the wood? I can't really see the binding at all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I'm curious about the binding on that guitar. Is it the identical color as the wood? I can't really see the binding at all.
    Indeed Mr Lawson-Stone. The binding has taken a nice yellow color that is almost identical to the tabletop. Here are some closer pictures.

1955 Gibson ES-350ND-binding-1-jpg1955 Gibson ES-350ND-binding-2-jpg

User Info Menu

Gawd, that's a beautiful guitar. I LOVE P90s.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Archtop
    Indeed Mr Lawson-Stone. The binding has taken a nice yellow color that is almost identical to the tabletop. Here are some closer pictures.

1955 Gibson ES-350ND-binding-1-jpg1955 Gibson ES-350ND-binding-2-jpg
    My Lord, that is beautiful. Age never looked so lovely.

User Info Menu

To my eyes, there's not a guitar more beautiful than a blonde Gibson 17" arch top.

User Info Menu

Looks very much like my ES-350N, Fred. Binding has yellowed in the same way to pretty much match the wood.
    Same frets too.

The Gibson laminate archtops just sort of evolved away from the ES-350.

I think that with the rise in popularity of the solid bodied Fenders, players asking for slimmer more comfortable guitars to play standing and increasing stage volumes, Gibson just moved on with the times.
    The 25.5" scale ES-350T was next, then the short scale version, then into double cutaway with the ES-330 and semi solid ES-335.
    Last edited by Burrellesque; 09-27-2017 at 03:50 AM.

User Info Menu

Burrellesque pretty much nails it. I don't think that laminate-body archtop design really ever eclipsed the ES-350 of the 1950s. (My personal favorite is the single pickup version of the late-40s, but the guitar in question is SO similar as to be the same.) The 17", 25-1/2" scale, deep-body P90-equipped 350 is the pinnacle of the purely electric archtop guitar, to me.

Fred's guitar sounds AWESOME.