The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 29

User Info Menu

Hi,

For years, my mind was made up that a 335 was "IT"! Until I got one and its not doing the job for my style of music. Its very bright and though Ive changed pickups and 11 gauge strings, Ive made up my mind to sell it.
    In my research, Im seeing that maybe the Gibson es137 or the Dangelico exss might give me more warmth in my tone, without having to resort to flat wound strings to play blues. Yes, I know that many people love the 335 and could make it work wonders for them, but I cant get use to it.
    Im also running through a twin reverb.

what do you like best, the 137 or the EXSS?

thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

1) 2) I cannot speak to the D'A, as i have never played one, but my 2006 ES-137 Classic is a fine guitar from which I can get tones galore - jazz, blues, funk, you name it, the tones are there. Of course, pick choice/technique. pickup selection, tone/volume interactions, and so forth all come into play, along with the phases of the moon and quantum entanglement. It's just a great design - well balanced, great looking, great neck - for me, it's a keeper.
    Good luck in your quest.

User Info Menu

I hate it when that happens.

Could you give a couple of references in terms of the sound you're after? Players, songs would help.

For now my vote goes for the ES137.

Re. The amp, did you plug the 335 in something that wasn't a twin? I wonder if a 5e3 might fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

The 137 you're considering, which 137? The Classic or Custom?

The Custom has the same pups that the 335 does (57's) but the Classic has the 490 R / 498 T pickups. Lots of players don't like the 49x pickups but they are different sounding than the 57's. I have them in my Howard Roberts Fusion and I LOVE them. Maybe if you like the 49x pickups that would be a more differentiating sound than your 335.

My 137 Custom isn't a whole lot different sounding than my 335, I happen to like a couple of settings on the Varitone and it's the reason I bought it.

The D'Angelico EX-SS (single cut) is a very nice guitar. I have an EX-DC (double cut) and both have (AFAIK) the Asian made Armstrong pickups and play / sound very similarly. Again like the G branded 49x pups some do not like the Asian pups, I like them fine. Also the necks on the EX-SS and EX-DC are likely chunkier or hand filling (not bad to me) than the 335 you now have, so if you can try one before buying you'll make a better decision.

Which pup did you install in the 335? I "hope" it's not an SD "Jazz"??? They are exceptionally bright, I know this first hand as do the others on the SD pup site.
    One thing for sure, my EX-DC is just a bit brighter (with flats) than my 335 (with rounds) which has a very mellow sound. I'm surprised that yours is bright.

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    1) 2) I cannot speak to the D'A, as i have never played one, but my 2006 ES-137 Classic is a fine guitar from which I can get tones galore - jazz, blues, funk, you name it, the tones are there. Of course, pick choice/technique. pickup selection, tone/volume interactions, and so forth all come into play, along with the phases of the moon and quantum entanglement. It's just a great design - well balanced, great looking, great neck - for me, it's a keeper.
    Good luck in your quest.
    Thank you for the feedback. I've never played a dangelico but most reviews seem to rate it very highly. But like yourself, I'm leaning towards the 137. Just seems to be more mellow and mot treble heavy like my 335

I put in a harmonic design custom neck pup. The 57 classics were bright and the harmonic didn't make much of a difference. So I'm thinking that I just picked up a rare lemon 335. The twin is my main amp and that's what I use all the time. Thank you for your help.

User Info Menu

Having owned both, I would opt for the 137. The D'Angelico is a fine guitar, but the Gibson is much better IMO. I had to sell mine to pay for my wife's engagement ring. Totally worth it, but man I want that guitar back!

Quote Originally Posted by djelley
    Having owned both, I would opt for the 137. The D'Angelico is a fine guitar, but the Gibson is much better IMO. I had to sell mine to pay for my wife's engagement ring. Totally worth it, but man I want that guitar back!
    Yes, I understand. Wish now that I had chose the 137 first before the 335.

User Info Menu

The 137 is an OUTSTANDING guitar. It offers all the jazzy tone you can want, along with LesPaul like sustain in a package that is very user friendly for live performance.
    make sure you try it before you buy it. The necks tend to be a little chunky. I like a chunky neck, but most people don't.
    Also, you can expand your choice to a Heritage H525, if you can find one. They are nice too..
    Joe D

User Info Menu

I don't have a 137, I have a 135.

With Classic 57 pickups, it can achieve a wide variety of tones. Being a semi, the sustain and feedback resistance is there, but with the trapeze tailpiece and balsa wood block it has more resonance than other semihollows. (Though not much acoustic volume to be honest.)

The upsides are the quality, made in the good ole USA in Nashville. Not a lot of bling, but a true working musician's guitar. The only downside is it's a bit heavy at 9 lbs. or so. The neck is a little chunky but not really noticeably different from my other guitars.

Re' 335's, I had an Epiphone Dot and was never able to get a good jazz sound out of the thing. I realize I may just have not had it set up right, and maybe having real Gibson pickups would have made a big difference, but to my ear it was too jangly. No midrange.

Re' D'Angelicos I have played a couple--nice guitars, seem very well made, good price. I didn't find them as well made or as responsive as the 135, but still a nice instrument. Though for a Korean-made guitar I would prefer Peerless, which are cheaper and more to my taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    The 137 is an OUTSTANDING guitar. It offers all the jazzy tone you can want, along with LesPaul like sustain in a package that is very user friendly for live performance.
    make sure you try it before you buy it. The necks tend to be a little chunky. I like a chunky neck, but most people don't.
    Also, you can expand your choice to a Heritage H525, if you can find one. They are nice too..
    Joe D
    Yeah, the more reviews that I read and comments from you guys, I think the 137 is going to be a perfect fit that I'll have no problem getting use to. I looked at the Heritage H525 and its a bit more than I can afford to invest in right mow

User Info Menu

the ex-ss is my fave of all the new branded "d'angelicos"..and i've played many models..including some of their "usa made custom" 5 figure ones$$$$...

having said that, i'd take a look at the bill comins cg series...he's the guy behind the ex-ss...he takes an asian made guitar and tweaks it to his exact standards..so it falls somewhere in between a gibson usa made and the new d'angelicos..but might be preferable to both

Gibson ES-137 or D'angelico EXSS?-gcs1-vintage-blonde_0-png

for more info- GCS-1 | Comins Guitars...top luthier!! jimmy bruno goes to him

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    I don't have a 137, I have a 135.

With Classic 57 pickups, it can achieve a wide variety of tones. Being a semi, the sustain and feedback resistance is there, but with the trapeze tailpiece and balsa wood block it has more resonance than other semihollows. (Though not much acoustic volume to be honest.)

The upsides are the quality, made in the good ole USA in Nashville. Not a lot of bling, but a true working musician's guitar. The only downside is it's a bit heavy at 9 lbs. or so. The neck is a little chunky but not really noticeably different from my other guitars.

Re' 335's, I had an Epiphone Dot and was never able to get a good jazz sound out of the thing. I realize I may just have not had it set up right, and maybe having real Gibson pickups would have made a big difference, but to my ear it was too jangly. No midrange.

Re' D'Angelicos I have played a couple--nice guitars, seem very well made, good price. I didn't find them as well made or as responsive as the 135, but still a nice instrument. Though for a Korean-made guitar I would prefer Peerless, which are cheaper and more to my taste.
    I did look briefly at the 135s and it also seemed like a better choice for me than the 335. Although, Ive never had the opportunity to play one or to hear this instrument in person. I think I'll do some moe research on it to see what else it has to offer. Thanks for the suggestion.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcolor
    Yeah, the more reviews that I read and comments from you guys, I think the 137 is going to be a perfect fit that I'll have no problem getting use to. I looked at the Heritage H525 and its a bit more than I can afford to invest in right mow
    You are doing it the right way jazzcolor. Good Luck to you and welcome to the forum.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Is this Reverend too edgy? Feels in line with what you're after. The carved korina vs laminate maple should help get that warmth you're after.

Last edited by blille; 06-22-2017 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    You are doing it the right way jazzcolor. Good Luck to you and welcome to the forum.
    Joe D
    I sure hope so Max! Choosing the right guitar can be stressful, lol! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by blille
    Is this Reverend too edgy? Feels in line with what you're after. The carved korina vs laminate maple should help get that warmth you're after.

Ive never heard one of these before, but I think I need to do some research! Thank you for posting the clip!

Let me add a twist to my post.. would you guys try to do more to make the 335 work by trying out more pickups, pedals and eq or get rid of whats not working and get a whole new axe like the 137?

I really regret all the money that Ive put into the 335 and know that Im going to lose really big by selling it and getting the 137 possibly...

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    the ex-ss is my fave of all the new branded "d'angelicos"..and i've played many models..including some of their "usa made custom" 5 figure ones$$$$...

having said that, i'd take a look at the bill comins cg series...he's the guy behind the ex-ss...he takes an asian made guitar and tweaks it to his exact standards..so it falls somewhere in between a gibson usa made and the new d'angelicos..but might be preferable to both

Gibson ES-137 or D'angelico EXSS?-gcs1-vintage-blonde_0-png

for more info- GCS-1 | Comins Guitars...top luthier!! jimmy bruno goes to him

cheers
    I have never heard of these either. But if JB is going to this guy, im sure its going to be wayyyy more than I can afford to invest in a guitar. But I would love to play one to see how it sounds and feels! It looks really nice.

User Info Menu

Let me add a twist to my post.. would you guys try to do more to make the 335 work by trying out more pickups, pedals and eq or get rid of whats not working and get a whole new axe like the 137?

I really regret all the money that Ive put into the 335 and know that Im going to lose really big by selling it and getting the 137 possibly...
    Only if you like how it plays and feels.

User Info Menu

Why do I have this "gut feeling" that that "bright" 335 is simply not set up right...?

Having serviced literally hundreds of 335s and copies, I'd bet a month's salary that's all there is.

Do you do your own setup or is it done by a pro? Oh, is it stock or it's been modded somehow?

If you tell exactly what p'ups are in there, maybe we can work something out?
    Last edited by LtKojak; 06-23-2017 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LtKojak
    Why do I have this "gut feeling" that that "bright" 335 is simply not set up right...?

Having serviced literally hundreds of 335s and copies, I'd bet a month's salary that's all there is.

Do you do your own setup or is it done by a pro? Oh, is it stock or it's been modded somehow?

If you tell exactly what p'ups are in there, maybe we can work something out?
    All of my guitars are set up by professionals who always give me great service. When I got this one, it came stock with 57s, which are always bright to my ears, so I put a harmonic design custom HB in the neck. It tammed the highs a little, but not much.
    Last edited by jazzcolor; 06-23-2017 at 12:50 PM.

User Info Menu

I have a 339, with 57s.
    I made my set-up, which consisted mainly in reviewing nut slots height, action, intonation and pickups height
    I fitted D'add flats ECG24 on it and it doesn't sound bright at all
    What kind of amp do you plug your 335 in ? May I suggest you look in that direction, too ?

Hope that helps

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 339 in june
    What kind of amp do you plug your 335 in ? May I suggest you look in that direction, too ?
    Asked the same, he uses a twin. I agree with you.

User Info Menu

When I got this one, it came stock with 57s, which are always bright to my ears,
    Well, that's what i can not understand. All 335s with '57 Classics that went through my workbench, not even one was "bright". On the contrary, the common complain was the neck p'up being "muddy and shrill at the same time". Some decided to change p'ups and most chose Duncan Seth Lovers, others decided to change magnets and put some custom-made vintage replicas in, but most just was just a matter of set the "right" height and polepiece stagger...

Can you take measures and tell me what's the p'ups height, from the base of the cover to the string, holding the string at the last fret, please? If you can take some detailed pictures it'll be even better.