The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 86

User Info Menu

Gibson guitars, people either love or hate them. From the beginnings with there CC, then P90, Alnico staple, Pat pend PAF humbucker to present day 57 Classic and the floaters like the JS and BJB basically every other pickup manufacture has basically copied a Gibson design. Well maybe with the exception of the Rythym Chief but it is still basically a design theory invented by Gibson. Yes there are companies making same type variations of Gibson designs that may be better but a Gibson pickup of any sort is a pretty tough act to follow. Gibson pickups are a very important factor in the sound of electric guitar history and is a huge reason why Gibson's always sounded great though out the ages. Yes I know people like Lover invented the pickups but they worked for Gibson.
    A original Pat.Pend. can fetch $2.5K. Not even a DeArmond 1100 can pull in a price like that
    Though Gibson's QC has always been spotty there pickups have always been the benchmark of excellence.
    There are a ton of pickup manufacturers that have made a fortune making a slight improvement off a Gibson design. I have never needed to replace a Gibson pickup ever because it didn't sound good.

IMO Gibson pickups will always rule the roost. Sorry to all you Fender fans but there pickups are just smaller P90's versions with non adjustable poles. Every type of Gibson pickups are still being made by someone. They obviously got it right with everyone they invented. Look at the current CC rage. Back to the beginning.

I will always have a love/hate relationship with Gibson but there pickups......pure love.

Another Gibson post.......flame on.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have replaced one Gibson pickup......with another Gibson pickup. The stock pup in my 2003 wine red Tal just never sounded quite right. I replaced it with the MHS. I'm much happier. It sounds right to my ear now.

User Info Menu

Gibson pickups are ok. They're good for some applications. But Gretsch pickups are the best for my taste. Particularly filtertrons. Would never switch them for any Gibson.

Guild humbuckers are close second, but maybe they are more like Gibson in design.

User Info Menu

Gibson pickups, like any other pickup, can be somewhat inconsistent.
    Even the early ones. But you know this...
    Perhaps you're just looking to pick a fight, now that we are semi-moderator-less?

User Info Menu

Well considering they basically invented humbuckers and the PAF pickups were so good so early, I don't think it is unfair to say that they are the king of pickups. Guild came up with theirs around the same time though and although the concept was around maybe 20 or so years before the PAF I think it is still safe to say that Gibson is king because they got it right and into the hands of the most players. So yeah, most others copied them and there isn't much dispute there. Nowadays though there are so many other good pickup makers so I wouldn't say that they are the best per se, but everyone else owes their success to Gibson. I have never played any bad Gibson pickups but I know they are out there so it's unfair to say that they are the best without any contention but if we are speaking generally then they are definitely at the top of the heap along with some others like Lollar, Armstrong etc. Fender though is just as good in my opinion but it is just a different sound. The telecaster bridge pickup is iconic and awesome even if we don't use it in jazz much, and their single coils are all over the place musically. To me Gibson is king over Fender when thinking of jazz guitar but that is not to underplay the importance of Fender's pickup designs. I do think that Gibson should get extra points of the adjustable pole pieces, and related they should also get extra points for the P90 which maybe isn't as important as the humbucker (just because the humbucker really was important in its function to be able to remove hum) but still an amazing invention.

They still couldn't have done anything without Rickenbacker though, although who knows who would have made the electric guitar of it wasn't him and the other guy whose name escapes me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Gibson PUPs are the cats meow to be sure, but Dearmonds are right up there in my book. But Dearmond shines best as a floater. For a built in PUP, nothing sounds as good as a pre-T-top bucker (and the going price for those PUPs reflects that.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RonD
    Gibson pickups, like any other pickup, can be somewhat inconsistent.
    Even the early ones. But you know this...
    Perhaps you're just looking to pick a fight, now that we are semi-moderator-less?

I will step in here, as it is in the early hours in the USA , Vinny is a very good friend and is able to
    speak for himself, but I will tell you that he is the most unlikely member here to pick a fight,he
    is merely extolling the virtues of Gibson and their original ideas and innovations. A through and
    through Gibson fanboy, as am I, although I hail from the UK. If anyone wants to pick a fight I'm
    up for it. just let them unleash their invective and I will respond . But infinitely prefer sensible and
    mutually respectful dialogue.

kind regards , Silverfoxx

User Info Menu

I wish their MHS humbuckers were available to purchase.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Gibson guitars, people either love or hate them. From the beginnings with there CC, then P90, Alnico staple, Pat pend PAF humbucker to present day 57 Classic and the floaters like the JS and BJB basically every other pickup manufacture has basically copied a Gibson design. Well maybe with the exception of the Rythym Chief but it is still basically a design theory invented by Gibson. Yes there are companies making same type variations of Gibson designs that may be better but a Gibson pickup of any sort is a pretty tough act to follow. Gibson pickups are a very important factor in the sound of electric guitar history and is a huge reason why Gibson's always sounded great though out the ages. Yes I know people like Lover invented the pickups but they worked for Gibson.
    A original Pat.Pend. can fetch $2.5K. Not even a DeArmond 1100 can pull in a price like that
    Though Gibson's QC has always been spotty there pickups have always been the benchmark of excellence.
    There are a ton of pickup manufacturers that have made a fortune making a slight improvement off a Gibson design. I have never needed to replace a Gibson pickup ever because it didn't sound good.

IMO Gibson pickups will always rule the roost. Sorry to all you Fender fans but there pickups are just smaller P90's versions with non adjustable poles. Every type of Gibson pickups are still being made by someone. They obviously got it right with everyone they invented. Look at the current CC rage. Back to the beginning.

I will always have a love/hate relationship with Gibson but there pickups......pure love.

Another Gibson post.......flame on.
    Vinny, why this sudden fanboi-bonding out-calling? What's the agenda here?

Well the spread of factual info is not, as many of the points of your praises are simply not true, starting with the brand: in all the historic correlation you presented in the form of p'up designs, Gibson, the company, bankrupted no less than four times, so the brand was actually added to four already existing companies, two of them didn't even had any relation with the music industry. Not to mention when the best of the bunch bought the Parsons street factory to form Heritage. Which, to me, always was and still is the REAL Gibson company.

When Norlin took over, it was no p'up winding for a while. The present Gibson company is one of forteen a sister companies, depending on a holding company managing the conglomerate. Fun fact, one of the sister companies make Jukeboxes. Isn't that sweet?

OK, let's talk about the p'ups themselves: vinny: did it ever occurred to you to check about who hold the patents? In most cases, they acquired the design by employing the actual designer. In several cases, the winding and assembling was outsourced, due to employee shortages and/or production hiccups due to mismanagement, something that seems to be part of the business' DNA, together with the cheap-down of the specs and designer backstabbing, just some suits could get a higher annual accomplishement prize.

For three years in a row, Gibson was nominated the WORST company to work for, in nation-wide surveys. I'm sure you somehow, missed the memo. For three years in a row. Oh, well...

Did you know that the actual Gibson's production winding floor was designed, chose the CNC winders and put the whole operation into function by Seymour Duncan when they moved to Nashville? Oh, the wind patterns were bought with the machines, so they could operate with minimal supervision. No actual PAF wind pattern was included with the machine. Oh, well... as Mick Jagger used to sing: "You can't always get what you want", isn't it?

The '57 Classic p'up presented to Gibson is an adaptation of Tom Holmes' own design, based on the made-in-japan series. Introduced in mid-1990, since its inception, the specs changed at least five times... so much for "ruling the roost"

So, all the praise as the brand being all-mighty throughout the years, is simply based on sheer ignorance of the facts. On an illusion you would like oh so hard to believe.

Oh, all of this and more are published in several books written about the history of the brand, many references are tied to several Les Paul books as well, so don't even need to take my word for it. Just go and check. I'll be glad to stand corrected if my recollection is not accurate.

So vinny... praising their products is because you like'em is ok. De gustibus non disputandum est.

But all the other excerpts... well, you could do without next time you feel lonely and look out for a forum/group hug.

HTH,
    Last edited by LtKojak; 06-21-2017 at 06:18 AM.

User Info Menu

Vinny, why would you think you'd attract flames for your opinion on Gibson pups? Have no concern, LOTS of people buy them to install into other branded gits (based on my seeing lots of used guitars with Gibson pickups installed) to try and get "that Gibson sound" and many wind up buying a Gibson git after all, so you're on pretty firm ground in your thoughts.

For me, I have no need to replace a Gibson HB pickup, I don't need to because I will not buy a Gibson that does not sound right.

I have replaced a pup in an Epi Sheraton which had a Seymour Duncan "Jazz" in it with a Gibson pup though but I bought it knowing the Jazz was going to go away.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the historical lesson of a corporation well known for it's trials and tribulations. You made some points that are good to know, and in nearly 100% of the time your opinions are well thought out and respected here, but some of these comments actually have nothing to do with the OP.

"Gibson, the company, bankrupted no less than four times,"

So? If "I" go bankrupt do I become Persona non Grata? Does Ford, Volkswagon, or Mercedes lose credibility as car makers if their board changes hands or they move production or restructure their business financials?

"When Norlin took over, it was no p'up winding for a while. The present Gibson company is one of forteen a sister companies, depending on a holding company managing the conglomerate. Fun fact, one of the sister companies make Jukeboxes. Isn't that sweet? "

"OK, let's talk about the p'ups themselves: vinny: did it ever occurred to you to check about who hold the patents? In most cases, they acquired the design by employing the actual designer. In several cases, the winding and assembling was outsourced, due to employee shortages and/or production hiccups due to mismanagement, something that seems to be part of the business' DNA, together with the cheap-down of the specs and designer backstabbing, just some suits could get a higher annual accomplishement prize. "

I don't see relevant points there, many companies are sold, acquired, outsource some production, move and EVERY ONE OF THEM employ the actual designer AND patent their work. Since when does the CEO or owner have to design and patent something to maintain pedigree?

"For three years in a row, Gibson was nominated the WORST company to work for, in nation-wide surveys. I'm sure you somehow, missed the memo. For three years in a row. Oh, well..."

Sorry, that is completely irrelevant, and it has nothing to do with Vinny's and my opinions of their pups.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    that is completely irrelevant, and it has nothing to do with Vinny's and my opinions of their pups.
    GNAPPI, you should re-read vinny's OP... as you and I are basically saying the same thing, but G. made and still makes the "best" p'ups since the early 20s.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LtKojak
    GNAPPI, you should re-read vinny's OP... as you and I are basically saying the same thing, but G. made and still makes the "best" p'ups since the early 20s.
    I did, but in my post regarding Gibson I stated:

"LOTS of people buy them to install into other branded gits (based on my seeing lots of used guitars with Gibson pickups installed) to try and get "that Gibson sound" and many wind up buying a Gibson git after all, so you're on pretty firm ground in your thoughts."

This is just simply stating facts. Sure SD and other pup makers are being used in Ibanez, Epi, and even Gibson, the ones to really pay attention to are when you see Gibson branded pups in other makes.

Oh, and I like your closing statement: "De gustibus non disputandum est" which can be interpreted two ways.

User Info Menu

I have replaced a pup in an Epi Sheraton which had a Seymour Duncan "Jazz" in it with a Gibson pup though but I bought it knowing the Jazz was going to go away.
    Fun fact: the Duncan "Jazz" model was created as a neck model for a country player called James Milner, at the same time he created the "JB", which was for "Jeff Beck", which was used in the "Blow by Blow" album.

At the time the Duncan co. didn't yet exist, and the Register didn't allow to TM'em using those names, so the "JB" stayed as such, and the "JM" became the "Jazz Model", even though it was never intended as a p'up specifically made to play Jazz.

Of course, that didn't stop many Jazz players to feel disappointed when they discover it was the polar opposite of what they were looking for.

However, changing the magnet with an A2 or an A3 in some cases, the Jazz neck model will perform beautifully when Jazz styles consist in complex chord-work and Bop-like single-note lines, as this is the champion of clarity, articulation and note-separation.

As a matter of fact, Gertrude, my L5-CES copy, hosts an A3neck/A2bridge-modded Jazz set, which are not going anywhere anytime soon.

HTH,
    Last edited by LtKojak; 06-21-2017 at 09:44 AM.

User Info Menu

I like your closing statement: "De gustibus non disputandum est" which can be interpreted two ways.
    I... don't think so, but I'll play along anyway.

So, tell what exactly the second interpretation would be... ?
    Last edited by LtKojak; 06-21-2017 at 08:41 AM.

User Info Menu

Well since I got my 175, the thing that consistently impresses me is how well the guitar sits in the band in a live situation. I notice it most when the guitar is at gig volume. It cuts through while never sounding harsh or over-loud.

My tele doesn't quite have this quality, although it does score in other areas.

Is it the guitar or the pickups? Dunno. Don't care.
    Last edited by christianm77; 06-21-2017 at 08:53 AM.

User Info Menu

I... don't think so, but I'll play along anyway.

So, tell what exactly the second interpretation would be... ?
    Second, interpretation implying someone has no taste

Jeez Fred, Your thoughts are so out of whack, I guess there truly is a seat for every ass..."In matters of taste, there can be no disputes" (for you that is you tasteless SOB)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Is it the guitar or the pickups?
    It's BOTH. Obviously.

"You can't have one without the other"
    - excerpt from the song "Love and Marriage", performed by Frank Sinatra

User Info Menu

Fun fact: the Duncan "Jazz" model was created as a neck model for a country player called James Milner, at the same time he created the "JB", which was for "Jeff Beck", which was used in the "Blow by Blow" album.

At the time the Duncan co. didn't yet exist, and the Register didn't allow to TM'em using those names, so the "JB" stayed as such, and the "JM" became the "Jazz Model", even though it was never intended as a p'up specifically made to play Jazz.

Of course, that didn't stop many Jazz players to feel disappointed when they discover it was the polar opposite of what they were looking for.

However, changing the magnet with an A2 or an A3 in some cases, the Jazz neck model will perform beautifully when Jazz styles consist in complex chord-work and Bop-like single-note lines, as this is the champion of clarity, articulation and note-separation.

As a matter of fact, Gertrude, my L5-CES copy, hosts an A3neck/A2bridge-modded Jazz set, which they're not going anywhere anytime soon.

HTH,
    Off topic, but do you know who made Gertrude? Most of the work looks very consistent with a guitar I have that is of ambiguous lineage. Mine is a truly great player that also sounds quite good with it's unmarked pickups. The only way I can fault it is that the neck is a little thinner than I prefer.

User Info Menu

LtKojak,

Gertrude looks like a sweetheart to me.

My mild madness is involved here also 'cause my guitars almost all have
    feminine names and of course I can't forsake my serious crush on Gertrude at age 15.

Seems to me that around here amplifiers are often under-rated in their overall
    tonal importance. I mean, either everything joins up beautifully or not.

User Info Menu

Second, interpretation implying someone has no taste

Jeez Fred, Your thoughts are so out of whack, I guess there truly is a seat for every ass..."In matters of taste, there can be no disputes" (for you that is you tasteless SOB)
    As you can't define what taste actually is, or, you might try to define it as a set of non-written rules accepted by a group of individuals that change with every different culture, ergo there can only be ONE interpretation.

Just as liking Gibson p'ups can not be considered as "having taste", not liking'em simply can NOT be considered the opposite.

By carefully choosing the contents of your rhetoric to serve your agenda, that's the quintaessence of "bias confirmation".

It's been used in politics everywhere since forever.

You can't use it as bargaining chip to fight facts, though.

And, as you can't even define or even describe of a definition of a aleatory concept that some might call it "The Gibson Sound", you can't argue it's better or worse, than anything elase, as your comparing things that are not substantiated, all that rethoric is, basically don Quixote fighting the Windmills. Nothing is real, it's all a product of fervid imagination and, ultimately, fanboism. You can also call it "tribal attitude". The same since the Neanderthals.

Sorry to try to "keep it REAL" and the daring of throwing some facts on the table.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    you know who made Gertrude?
    Of course! The Samick factory in Inchon, Korea, in 1994.

The neck is pretty thin, as they've been using the construction plans for Ibanez at the time.

HTH,

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit
    my guitars almost all have
    feminine names and of course I can't forsake my serious crush on Gertrude at age 15.
    Well, in my case, I was referring to an East-German name to funnily define a big woman, as she's 18".

Big-ass guitar through and through.

User Info Menu

Sorry to try to "keep it REAL" and the daring of throwing some facts on the table.
    Throwing "facts" around as you did in your original post was uncalled for and are still completely irrelevant. For someone so concerned with facts you are ignoring what you said and the fact that they had nothing whatsoever to do with the OP.

Still your posts are well thought out, and generally contain good information though you are misguided on some who you choose to confront.

Most of you missed the point I was trying to make.....i.e.: The Guild HB-1 is still just a variation of a Gibson design.
    Gibson is the reason for the electric guitar as we all know it today and yesterday.
    I knew this would turn into another classroom fight. I was just paying my respect to Gibson for the joyful tones they have provided.

signing off.....