The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 48 of 48

User Info Menu

I have read on another forum that Chicago Music Exchange is still taking orders for these. IDK if they've "sold out" yet on their original allotment...

If I had $1k right now, I'd pre-order one myself. Always wanted one, never played one, but love everything about it (not as much as the Gibson Custom version, of course, but hey- it's 90% there)

As for the construction, it has not been verified yet WHAT it is- it might be like the 'cats, it might not. No one has come up with any definitive info on that yet.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I was to open for Johnny A. a few years ago and he let me try his guitar. Beautiful guitar but I thought the necks was a bit thin. Anyone else tried one -- what's your thoughts?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by archtopeddy
    I was to open for Johnny A. a few years ago and he let me try his guitar. Beautiful guitar but I thought the necks was a bit thin. Anyone else tried one -- what's your thoughts?
    What HE says is, the neck profile is copied from his friend's '59 Les Paul burst... one that, according to him, had a flatter-than-normal neck for a '59. Flatter on the back, instead of round. Which he prefers because he plays with his thumb on the back of the neck, not thumb over.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    What HE says is, the neck profile is copied from his friend's '59 Les Paul burst... one that, according to him, had a flatter-than-normal neck for a '59. Flatter on the back, instead of round. Which he prefers because he plays with his thumb on the back of the neck, not thumb over.
    That makes sense. Explains what I felt. I appreciate how it'd work for some players but I prefer a little rounder neck.

User Info Menu

I met with Johnny A in the Gibson booth at Winter NAMM 2004, tried some of his personal guitars and talked with him about the necks. I found the neck on his a bit deep at the first fret, so I ordered one with more of a slim taper profile. It's my favorite guitar for stand-up gigs, probably my favorite ever for non-jazz playing. I bought a second one a few years later with the regular Johnny A profile and I like that one too. I especially like the 25.5" scale, but they also balance perfectly on a strap, and sound and play great too. Mine both have Bigsby's, but I've been tempted to get one with a stop tp and set it up with the heavier strings I use on my L-5's.

BTW, I had no idea who Johnny A was at the time, but was very impressed with his playing when I met him and find I really enjoy his videos.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

This is the first I've heard his playing. Sounds pretty tasty to my ears.

User Info Menu

I really like the idea of a 25.5" Semi Hollow but with
    no Bigsby or Trem...

I looked these Guitars up and I expected lower prices.

They are over $7500...might be worth it -
    Correction - $ 15,000. Buy two and get free case ..

But too much money now.
    15k is crazy but awesome Guitar.

I would definitely take a Marchione over a Johnny A though...except for Resale..

It has a great Voice with a full round deep Tone .
    NOT mostly from dimming down the Tone Control..!
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 12-04-2017 at 03:10 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Never heard of Jonny A. What's he famous for?
    Playing other people's music, some rather well.

User Info Menu

Got it yesterday
    6 lbs 12oz
    Workmanship is flawless
    First play and it sounds really nice.
    Need to change the strings and adjust it to my tastes.
    Better pics to come.

Epiphone Johnny A-20170731_203836-jpg
    Last edited by DRS; 08-02-2017 at 09:55 AM.

User Info Menu

Excellent! Glad someone snagged one of these gits. Hopefully others will show up for sale...new or used.

User Info Menu

Please give us areview, and compare it to a Gibson Johnny A if at all possible. Thanks!

User Info Menu

I have never had the pleasure of playing the Gibson version so I apologize.

Fit and finish: perfect. I put on my reading glasses and started poking around for even 1 flaw and there are none. Frets are perfectly crowned with no flat tops (I don't like this on real Gibsons.) Ends while not hotdogged are cleanly finished with no sharp edges.
    Inlays are perfect.
    Finish is perfect.
    Strings are perfectly centred on fretboard and neck is straight with a slight relief.
    Tuners work well.
    Guitar stays in tune.
    I changed the stock strings to Daddario 10-46 Nickel wound.
    Tone controls and volume controls work perfectly.

Tone is full and rich with a bright clarity I like. A little less woody tan my Godin Montreal Premiere which also has a Gibson 57 in the neck.
    Bigsby stays in tune for light bends like Johnny A does.

Only real issue is the pivot in the Bigsby arm is a bit stiff so you can't just whip the arm out of the way like in other bigsby guitars I've owned. There is a nut to adjust and maybe a drop of oil will solve this.

Even the case is decent. Probably the same quality as the Gibson USA case my LP came in.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    Playing other people's music, some rather well.
    Actually, he's got 3 solo albums of mostly original, instrumental music. His solo career has gone better than his career as a sideman.

User Info Menu

Man, I just can't wait to these show up in Italy. Specs-wise, it's the closest to my dream guitar.

I fell in love with those after I played Johnny A's own in a guitar clinic in 2011.

Is Indonesia-, Korea- or China-made, DRS? Inquiring mnds would like to know.

User Info Menu

China

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DRS
    China
    Alright.

Thank you!

Yours very truly,

User Info Menu

Got a better mirror and there are two cylinders of wood beneath the ABR studs that connect the back to the top.
    On another note, I tried the guitar with a strap and it hangs perfectly with no neck dive.

User Info Menu

So I use to have a Gibson Johnny A serial 053. Very full shaped neck like a Gibson Historic 1958 Les Paul (.93-1.0) Really beautiful guitar overall and gigged with it for probably 4 years at least. I just have found the ES-335 ,ES-339 fits me a bit better, with the ergonomics and shorter scale length.
    I did end up replacing the Classic 57's with Lindy Fralins, and keystone tuners with locking ones for tuning stability as well as ease of changinging strings. Again great instrument and kudos for Gibson pushing the bar forward with this design!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    I just have found the ES-335 ,ES-339 fits me a bit better, with the ergonomics
    Well, TBH, if I could have an ES-339 with a 25,5" scale, THAT would be my dream design.

But looks like the Johnny A. is the closest at a price I can afford, so no complains on my part!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    So I use to have a Gibson Johnny A serial 053. Very full shaped neck like a Gibson Historic 1958 Les Paul (.93-1.0) Really beautiful guitar overall and gigged with it for probably 4 years at least. I just have found the ES-335 ,ES-339 fits me a bit better, with the ergonomics and shorter scale length.
    I did end up replacing the Classic 57's with Lindy Fralins, and keystone tuners with locking ones for tuning stability as well as ease of changinging strings. Again great instrument and kudos for Gibson pushing the bar forward with this design!
    Hey jads57, I own JA #054, a stoptail! You and I are early adopters of the marque.

User Info Menu

Yeah mine had a Bigsby and was bought at Lavonne Music in Savage,Mn. from Peter Wagoner (Great Guy)! Served me well for 4-5 years.

User Info Menu

So 4 months in and I still really like this guitar.
    I had a new nut cut that had a bit wider string spacing to match other 1 11/16" guitars I own. For some reason Epi cuts the slots so the strings are tighter together. Same issue with an Epi 339 I had. I had a few frets leveled too.
    It now plays and sounds great. It has a great powerful bell like tone that just rings. No mud or woofiness. The 57 pups really work. I am not going to go the modified Bigsby tension bar route as I feel it seems to work well enough as it is.
    With a few set up costs, I now have a guitar I can't put down.
    Last edited by DRS; 11-29-2017 at 10:22 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DRS
    So 4 months in and I still really like this guitar.
    I had a new nut cut that had a bit wider string spacing to match other 1 11/16" guitars I own. For some reason Epi cuts the slots so the strings are tighter together. Same issue with an Epi 339 I had. I had a few frets leveled too.
    It now plays and sounds great. It has a great powerful bell like tone that just rings. No mud or woofiness. The 57 pups really work. I am not going to go the modified Bigsby tension bar route as I feel it seems to work well enough as it is.
    With a few set up costs, I now have a guitar I can't put down.

Good to know, I've been eyeing the Epi 339.

I haven't read a bad review yet- oh, a few people who sent it back because the pickup switch was "wired backwards" (just loosen the nut, and flip the switch, duh)... but every review I have read has been positive.