The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 143

User Info Menu

Tim sounds good but frankly with his tweener-pickup sounds, it's really hard to tell what this amp will sound like with an archtop and a warm, joe pass style jazz tone. However, I understand that the tone controls are modeled after a BF fender amp so it should be perfect. I also have heard from a reliable source that the DV Mark's compressor artifacts are a real annoyance with it's amp and there's no control over that so i'm going to be picking up one of the quilter amps soon. I may do a demo of it in the near future if I can find one available.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Agentsmith I'd appreciate a video demo if you do get one. I've been a big fan of your demos and reviews. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    Chicago Music Exchange has them on order. I'm going to stop by next week and check them out, if they've come in by then.

A better video by Tim Lerch has been produced.

I just finished listening to this before opening this thread. It's about as good as I've heard Tim sound. Really sweet.
    Last edited by Jim Soloway; 04-14-2017 at 11:34 AM.

User Info Menu

"Tim sounds good but frankly with his tweener-pickup sounds, it's really hard to tell what this amp will sound like with an archtop and a warm, Joe pass style jazz tone."

Thanks Jack, I plan on recording another vid today along the lines of what you describe, so the archtopers in the crowd can have some reference. stay tuned (oh and no talking on the next one either)
    all the best
    Tim

User Info Menu

Do you have a hollowbody with heavy strings? I really loved the way you sounded on this. Your style reminds me a bit of frisell and the amp executes that perfectly but the heavier strings and a heavier touch will be the key for the archtop crowd. If that's not your thing, no problem. I'll probably do a demo of it when/if I get one.

QUOTE=TLerch;762135]"Tim sounds good but frankly with his tweener-pickup sounds, it's really hard to tell what this amp will sound like with an archtop and a warm, Joe pass style jazz tone."

Thanks Jack, I plan on recording another vid today along the lines of what you describe, so the archtopers in the crowd can have some reference. stay tuned (oh and no talking on the next one either)
    all the best
    Tim[/QUOTE]

User Info Menu

Thanks Jack,
    I do have a light touch, the strings on the Tele are 13-54 (tuned down 1/2 step). on my archtops I use the same set tuned to standard pitch and a wound G. ( I always use round wound rather than flats) I know you have a very specific sound in mind but I'll try my best to get in that ball park.
    Tim

User Info Menu

Hey guys, here is a video of the 101 Reverb with a more traditional archtop sound. hope this helps give you some perspective.

all the best
    tim

User Info Menu

Tim that sounds just fabulous.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TLerch
    Hey guys, here is a video of the 101 Reverb with a more traditional archtop sound. hope this helps give you some perspective.

all the best
    tim
    Now that's the stuff!

50 watts doesn't sound like much for solid state. Is this enough amp for playing with a loud Blakeyesque drummer or in an organ trio? Or will there be a more powerful version coming out later for folks not playing into a PA system?

User Info Menu

Peter, are you allowed to say what's next coming down the pipe? I've heard it will be a 200W block, but it will be aimed at higher gain. Am I warm?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ingeneri
    Now that's the stuff!

50 watts doesn't sound like much for solid state. Is this enough amp for playing with a loud Blakeyesque drummer or in an organ trio? Or will there be a more powerful version coming out later for folks not playing into a PA system?
    Our watts are different than normal solid state watts. Internally there is actually a 120 watt amp. We limit it to 50 watts for your tone and the remaining watts are used for high voltage swings like what occur in a tube amp. For what it's worth, Bruce Forman used it through our Aviator 112 HD cab on a gig with Tool's drummer at the Baked Potato and he said it held up just fine.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Peter, are you allowed to say what's next coming down the pipe? I've heard it will be a 200W block, but it will be aimed at higher gain. Am I warm?
    I can't say much and I really don't know when it will be ready. We have our guesses and hopes, but it is too soon to say when you might expect to see another amp from us.

User Info Menu

To those with Quilter experience...

SS and tube amps power rating are way different. So with Quilter doing excellent job of Fender like tone from a SS amp what about power ratings are they still SS like. In other words a 45-50 watt Quilter compares to a what model Fender in output. A Princeton, Deluxe, Super Reverb???

I'm trying to get a feel for how loud this new model is.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    To those with Quilter experience...

SS and tube amps power rating are way different. So with Quilter doing excellent job of Fender like tone from a SS amp what about power ratings are they still SS like. In other words a 45-50 watt Quilter compares to a what model Fender in output. A Princeton, Deluxe, Super Reverb???

I'm trying to get a feel for how loud this new model is.
    Roughly like a Vibrolux or Pro Reverb I suppose. Our watts are basically like tube watts. Use the limiter to keep it clean. Don't be afraid to increase the gain, just adjust the limiter accordingly. How efficient your speakers are is a big factor too. I've used this amp in loud bar blues bands for a few months now through a Celestion Neo Creamback. I've never ran out of volume or clean headroom.

User Info Menu

i liked both tim vids..glassy toned and lightly fingered..the classic tim lerch sound

i'll always be a tube amp man, but this amp with a super efficient deep toned celestion alnico gold speaker would get plenty loud!!!

cheers

User Info Menu

Tim, can you dial down the treble to get more of the joe pass joy spring tone? I realize with the rounds and the mini humbucker that your guitar may be working against you in that regard but you sound fabulous in your demo.

User Info Menu

Jack,
    The treble on the amp was pretty low (the inset photo has the settings I was playing) so other than rolling off the guitar tone knob or picking closer to the end of the fingerboard or both, thats about as dark as this amp will get. Think a deluxe reverb at low volume with a bright cap, it has that bit of tinsel up top even with the treble turned down.
    Tim

User Info Menu

all the best
    tim

Tim and the amp sound great to me with his demo. Clear, fat, notes.

User Info Menu

i always clipped off the bright cap in my deluxe reverbs!

Jack,

The treble on the amp was pretty low (the inset photo has the settings I was playing) so other than rolling off the guitar tone knob or picking closer to the end of the fingerboard or both, thats about as dark as this amp will get. Think a deluxe reverb at low volume with a bright cap, it has that bit of tinsel up top even with the treble turned down.
    Tim

User Info Menu

Me too!

User Info Menu

Very nice fenderish sound and wonderful playing. Very interesting product. I saw the matching frontliner box- great idea singe the whole set up looks so tidy.
    Maybe you should expand the frontliner idea. A 10 inch box and a 12 in Inch box would be great for the gigging jazz Guitar Player.

User Info Menu

one thing that concerns me is that if it has a permanent bright switch sound is that overdrive and getting a smooth holdsworth sound won't work right. I had that problem with a couple effect pedals that added a fendery-bright-switch effect.

User Info Menu

Two questions:

Is this tone control more suitable for than jazz tones than the 101 w/o reverb?

and

Can it accept an mp3 player for backing tracks?

Thanks,

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by boatheelmusic
    Two questions:

and

Thanks,
    From the website, it looks like there is no auxiliary input. On top of that, the effects "return" cannot be used to bring an additional signal in because if you plug into that jack, the regular input is interrupted. That's a common way to wire an effects loop, but I like it that on my Polytone Minibrute II I can use the effects loop return to plug in a backing track. Not possible at least on the older Quilter 101, and there's been no announcement that the effects loop has been set up differently.

Quote Originally Posted by boatheelmusic
    Two questions:

and

Thanks,
    Hi Boatheelmusic,

The new dedicated Bass, Mid Treble tone controls on this offer more tone shaping ability than the TRI-Q on the regular 101-mini amp. You need to consider what type of jazz is being played and of course, what kind of guitar is being used. The dedicated BMT will allow you to adjust for those situations better IMO.

Check out the awesome video above from Tim Lerch which should give you an idea of how it sounds in the jazz context.

Here's another from Tim I found quite enjoyable as well playing a Tele. Thanks Tim!

This amp only has 1 input so no MP3 player for backing tracks. Quilter does make some heads that do have more than one input like the Aviator and MicroPro Mach 2 that you can use the additional input for an MP3 player and they both have reverb on board as well. Hope that helps!
    Last edited by proaudioland; 04-21-2017 at 04:32 PM.