Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 143

User Info Menu

Thank you sir!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    I saw Gilad Hekselman with a Quilter a month or two ago and asked him about it. He said he couldn't say anything other than it was a new model coming soon. So is this the same amp GHex was playing?
    Different amps. I can't say much about the amp Gilad has, but I can say that the clean EQ structure on his prototype is the same as the 101 Reverb.

User Info Menu

You need appropriate demos for the jazz crowd. Can't say I was impressed with the lone bluesy sample. Bookended by a Roland Blues Cube Hot and the Vox MV50 Clean, you have your work cut out for you, Quilter.

Wish you success but that lone sample is not tempting me; I'll be brutal, it is an awful demo. I have a Raezer's Edge Nighthawk 12* in the works from Sound Island Music and am looking for a small head.

Get better demos out, Quilter.

* It is a front-firing full-range single-driver 12" cab, 50Hz to 17khz.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 04-13-2017 at 12:31 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by petermelton
    Different amps. I can't say much about the amp Gilad has, but I can say that the clean EQ structure on his prototype is the same as the 101 Reverb.

Thanks good to know. I've heard GHex a couple times with the Quilter and it sounded real good.

User Info Menu

Let me know if you guys have any questions.

Cheers
    Please explain the function of the "Limiter".

User Info Menu

Maybe I'm a sucker, but hearing Bruce Forman talk about it on GuitarWank is enough for me to plonk down some cash. The man's got some serious ears, skills and experience. Besides, in an age where it's getting harder and harder to find quality equipment at a local shop, that's about all I have to go on.

If it doesn't work out, I'm sure someone will love to take it off my hands at a discount

User Info Menu

I went to looked at the Quilter combos about a year ago. The dealer was located in a very old New England frame building with multiple tenants. Must have been some interesting wiring in there. There was so much hiss in the amps that he was not able to get rid of by adjusting to even start a demo. Not sure if it was the wiring or the way he had things adjusted at the amp.

Any good way to demo these and adjust with minimal hiss? Based on what I heard, I got the impression the combos were better suited for a noisy bar and not all that great for home / studio use.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM
    I went to looked at the Quilter combos about a year ago. The dealer was located in a very old New England frame building with multiple tenants. Must have been some interesting wiring in there. There was so much hiss in the amps that he was not able to get rid of by adjusting to even start a demo. Not sure if it was the wiring or the way he had things adjusted at the amp.

Any good way to demo these and adjust with minimal hiss? Based on what I heard, I got the impression the combos were better suited for a noisy bar and not all that great for home / studio use.
    I've never had hissing issues with my Micropro combo in a multitude of venues, bars, studios, homes, etc. I'd blame the store in question.

User Info Menu

Can anyone comment on what advantage the new Quilter head will have over the DV Mark Micro 50 head? That one has similar features, along with an auxiliary input to facilitate playing with tracks or playing along with recordings.

I love Quilter as a company, and i love this new head, but I don't see any advantage over the Micro 50 head.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Can anyone comment on what advantage the new Quilter head will have over the DV Mark Micro 50 head? That one has similar features, along with an auxiliary input to facilitate playing with tracks or playing along with recordings.

I love Quilter as a company, and i love this new head, but I don't see any advantage over the Micro 50 head.
    The DV Mark has two channels, which is handy, too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    The DV Mark has two channels, which is handy, too.
    Yes. It does not have an effects loop, which for some would be a deal breaker. On the other hand, over Christmas I played at 3 Christmas parties, and enjoyed using the DV Mark's aux. input for backing tracks to break up the monotony of my solo playing. It worked very well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Yes. It does not have an effects loop, which for some would be a deal breaker. On the other hand, over Christmas I played at 3 Christmas parties, and enjoyed using the DV Mark's aux. input for backing tracks to break up the monotony of my solo playing. It worked very well.
    Ah! I was also looking at a model called the DV Micro 50 M which does have the effects loop, at the back:

I think this version has a higher gain, more scooped lead channel (M for metal?) and for those guys an effects loop is more useful. I've never used one -- too many cables!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Ah! I was also looking at a model called the DV Micro 50 M which does have the effects loop, at the back:

I think this version has a higher gain, more scooped lead channel (M for metal?) and for those guys an effects loop is more useful. I've never used one -- too many cables!
    Wow I wasn't aware of that one. I just played a little on my Quilter 101 and no doubt, it has a very good sound. No quarrels there. I was thinking of a side-by-side comparison, one guitar, one cabinet, the two heads. But it's hard to know what would be equivalent EQ and gain settings. The Quilter output is rated in watts, so I don't know how that translates into an equivalent output on a different amp.

User Info Menu

Hard to imagine anything sounding any better than this. This is one of the best jazz tones i've heard out of a SS head. Wish they made a 100w version.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    You need appropriate demos for the jazz crowd. Can't say I was impressed with the lone bluesy sample. Bookended by a Roland Blues Cube Hot and the Vox MV50 Clean, you have your work cut out for you, Quilter.

Wish you success but that lone sample is not tempting me; I'll be brutal, it is an awful demo. I have a Raezer's Edge Nighthawk 12* in the works from Sound Island Music and am looking for a small head.

Get better demos out, Quilter.

* It is a front-firing full-range single-driver 12" cab, 50Hz to 17khz.
    While it is clearly not a jazz demo, I must disagree. RJ is a fantastic guitar player and I feel the demo serves a large part of the market well. Josh Smith just uploaded his demo today. It is also not a jazz demo. Tim Lerch is putting up a video tomorrow. I hope that one suits your needs. More demos will come out over time.

I am not sure if you know this but we are a very very small company. Seven employees here including Pat Quilter. Our video guy also happens to be the CEO and IT guy so we rely heavily on artists for videos. There aren't enough hours in the day for us to crank them out. But yes, we could definitely use more!
    Last edited by petermelton; 04-13-2017 at 03:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by srs
    Please explain the function of the "Limiter".
    It is sort of the top half of a compressor and it mitigates the dirt. It allows you to get the sustain and added harmonic content of a dirty signal but it keeps it clean and you don't lose any dynamic sensitivity.

User Info Menu

I agree with jabberwocky. Take a listen to the jazz clip above I posted with the DV-Mark. That's the type of clip you need to appeal to the jazz crowd. I felt that aviator I owned was peaky in the midrange and had an exaggerated upper mid instead of a true treble knob and was never able to dial it in to sound like a sweet princeton or deluxe reverb which is the vibe I hear in the DV Mark head above. i'd love to know if the tweaks you guys have made over the years have gotten quilter closer but the demos don't give any type of feel for whether it gets that type of tone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by agentsmith
    I agree with jabberwocky. Take a listen to the jazz clip above I posted with the DV-Mark. That's the type of clip you need to appeal to the jazz crowd. I felt that aviator I owned was peaky in the midrange and had an exaggerated upper mid instead of a true treble knob and was never able to dial it in to sound like a sweet princeton or deluxe reverb which is the vibe I hear in the DV Mark head above. i'd love to know if the tweaks you guys have made over the years have gotten quilter closer but the demos don't give any type of feel for whether it gets that type of tone.
    I hear you and have similar feelings about the Aviator for jazz. The EQ structure in the 101 Reverb is totally different than what is in the Aviator. This amp is the first amp from that uses an EQ structure based on the 60's Blackface tone. You should be able to dial in the 101 Reverb to sound like that DV Mark clip. I will PM you some info too.

User Info Menu

That's fantastic. Are you making a combo amp with that preamp architecture?

I hear you and have similar feelings about the Aviator for jazz. The EQ structure in the 101 Reverb is totally different than what is in the Aviator. This amp is the first amp from that uses an EQ structure based on the 60's Blackface tone. You should be able to dial in the 101 Reverb to sound like that DV Mark clip. I will PM you some info too.

User Info Menu

And thanks for the info, Peter. I may very well pick one of these up and do a demo.

User Info Menu

Turns out there's a place about 45minutes away that carries quilter and is reserving a 101 Reverb for me. I'll let you know...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greasy0015
    Isheplayingwithacomboorhead?

It's a head same size as other Quilters block heads.

User Info Menu

That's fantastic. Are you making a combo amp with that preamp architecture?
    I am sure we will eventually but probably not in the next year. Making any money on USA made competitively priced combos is really hard. Putting tolex on by hand costs just as much if not more than having the machines at QSC populate our circuit boards but has significantly less perceived value to the market.

User Info Menu

Anyone know who has these in stock? I can't find them thus far.

User Info Menu

Anyone know who has these in stock? I can't find them thus far.
    Chicago Music Exchange has them on order. I'm going to stop by next week and check them out, if they've come in by then.

A better video by Tim Lerch has been produced.