The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 54

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=JSanta;719479]
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM
    After realizing the strings classical, I am even more intrigued by the pickup. I really have no clue how this thing works with those strings.[/QUOTE

I have a feeling that is incorrect (or rather I hope that it is). Frank plays roundwounds I believe.
    Are you suggesting that manufacturer would actually put incorrect information on their web site? Never happens, at least in my dreams.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by amyFB
    Frank and Vinnie are so much talented fun! Well worth the price of admission. I have one of their CDs that includes PDF tab but I have to supply the time to master...ah that'll be the day...!
    Which CD is that? My library has Vinnie and Frank's "Melody Magic," which I've checked out a few times now and enjoyed. But I haven't heard any others.

User Info Menu

There's a good picture here of a Thorell FV guitar here. They look steel strings to me. http://thorellguitars.com/wp-content...V-STUDIO-5.jpg

User Info Menu

I've played Franks personal guitar (for a short minute, was terrified!), definitely steel strings, rounds I think too!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM
    After realizing the strings classical, I am even more intrigued by the pickup. I really have no clue how this thing works with those strings.
    Pretty sure that's an error. They look and sound like steelies.

User Info Menu

Looks and sounds nice. I love the 15" width, but the depth is a little more than I prefer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Looks and sounds nice. I love the 15" width, but the depth is a little more than I prefer.
    yes I would have liked the John Pisano's 2 3/4".

User Info Menu

A used Thorell FV Studio for sale : Thorell FV Studio Archtop – Guitar Gallery .

Interesting sound samples. The original Thorell FV has a tapered body, 2.75" to 3.25". I don't know if the Eastman Thorell copies this feature.

For $2000 new, I would like one. I'll get Pete Biltof to wind a floating CC blade pickup for it. None will be the wiser. I can't afford the original and it has a particular kind of tone which makes it a secondary axe, not your main gigging one.

Surprised and excited by this. Eastman makes the design affordable. I actually prefer the unbound leaf sound-holes and ivoroid binding to Ryan Thorell's maple binding. Can I have the exact one shown on the webpage?
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 12-08-2016 at 02:03 PM.

User Info Menu

Eastman's website has contained errors before regarding specifications e.g. I bought an El Rey 4 and at one time Eastman showed it with a 1 11/16 nut width and a different scale. I like the look and specs of this guitar so I asked my Eastman dealer to shoot the rep and email asking for clarification as well as the string spacing dimension at the saddle. The dealer is Blue Angel Music in Pensacola. Nice company run by nice people. If I may plug their website, it is:

Musical Instrument, Accessory, and Equipment Store | Blues Angel Music

User Info Menu

Spoke briefly with Frank Vignola last night abut this new model, but did not want to take too much time as there was a line of folks purchasing CD's.

Says the parts are made in China, shipped to California and finshed here, apparently Otto D'Ambrosio uses the same setup for the El Rays. And this also might explain why Jeff Hale back in the day was able to get white body Eastmans to finish in his shop.

Franks says it a great guitar and is enthusiastic. I got no details on the pickup, which IMHO seem to be the weakness with Eastman's. We shall see, but it looks intriguing and I'll need to make a road trip to GnJ.

BTW, Vinny really tore it up on Tico Tico. Also asked him about a signatuire guitar - said he was close but couldn't get it quite right.

No selfies - I'm in the Witless Protection Program.

User Info Menu

The guitar is $2395 MAP

It does come with roundwound strings most likely NYXL 12s

User Info Menu

Couple of Instagram links. Jabberwocky should like the second one -

Instagram

Instagram

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by richpiv
    Couple of Instagram links. Jabberwocky should like the second one -

Instagram

Instagram
    Woah, I like them both. The second one (the one with the CC pickup) gave me goosebumps!!! There is more than one person in this forum who would get a kick out of seeing that. Thanks, Rich, for posting them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bakert
    The guitar is $2395 MAP

It does come with roundwound strings most likely NYXL 12s
    Bob, if I may, make the Vignola Signature and the Eastman Charlie Christian in other finishes like an Antique Natural, a Tangerine Honey Burst, and a nice Claret.

Who is supplying the Charlie Christian Blade pickup? Would be nice to have reproduction Bakelite flower-top knobs like the original ES-150, one in oxblood, the other in black. I'd happily take both knobs in oxblood if I could choose only one. And a triangle pickguard in dark faux tortoiseshell...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Interesting. I love Frank's guitar but with a price tag over 8 grand, it's in never-never land for me.
    The Eastman will MAP for $2395

User Info Menu

The Charlie Christian pickup that Eastman is using is the Lollar from California....

User Info Menu

as far as finishes, lots of things are being considered. the first ones are slated to be close to Frank's original guitar

User Info Menu

As far as strings go, Frank posted on Facebook -

" .... I use nickel wound 12 - 52 La Bella's with a wound G."

User Info Menu

Where did all this "cheap nylon acoustic-electric" talk come form? Website says Cleartone rounds 12-52. Guitar clearly has a magnetic pickup.

User Info Menu

The website has been corrected since the initial post.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rob taft
    The website has been corrected since the initial post.
    So it has! Still not specs on the pup, tho.

User Info Menu

Thorell Guitar website has the Eastman FV for $2,500 including setup by Ryan Thorell, MSRP $2,995. Specs have the pickup as Gold Seymour Duncan Johnny Smith. 90 day lead time.

User Info Menu

Thanks, Looks like a good price. Below is the link. It took a few seconds to find it on the Thorell website.

Eastman Thorell FV | Thorell Guitars

User Info Menu

The pickup on the Eastman FV was originally this unusual-looking pup set at a rakish angle. It was later changed to this Johnny Smith.

User Info Menu

Who's gonna be first?