The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: Gibson ES-275 All that and a "bag of chips" ??

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • I bought one, and it’s a keeper for sure.

31 26.50%
  • If I had the $$$ I would buy one yesterday.

53 45.30%
  • Save your money, and buy something else.

22 18.80%
  • I bought one, and I couldn’t wait to sell it.

1 0.85%
  • The guitar is just a silly design and will pass into Gibson folklore.

12 10.26%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 185

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Actually it has always been available in both models. But you are right, the small price differential is odd.
    Thomann in Germany has them both at the same price (3699€). There is no way I'm paying the same for the plain jane red one as for the bling Montreux burst.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I think Joe cured my gas. .... but I know that is an aberration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gggomez
    I think Joe cured my gas. .... but I know that is an aberration.
    Don't let Joe's twang fool you. With Thomastics, using just the neck pickup with the tone down a bit, this is one dark smokin' jazz axe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Thomann in Germany has them both at the same price (3699€). There is no way I'm paying the same for the plain jane red one as for the bling Montreux burst.
    I would pay more for the plain one!

User Info Menu

On holidays in Japan went to the guitar street. Oh my! Just ridiculous must be over 1000 les Paul's within 50 metres.

Played two es275s through a Fender DeVille. Sound was acoustic was not special. Plugged in however, wow absolutely loved it, seriously considering selling my 175.

Sound wise i thought it is between a 335 and a 175. A bigger sound than both and just more pleasing to my ear.

The size was really comfortable. I am am a bit of a short arse and this was a perfect size for me. The body and neck a bit shorter than a 175 and the neck not as thick. The fake ebony felt better than the rosewood. Both were set up poorly and the shop spent some time adjusting them before allowing me to play them. Service in Japan is fantastic.

The look, was not diggin the figured fancy models. My kids said don't sell your guitar for that they are ugly. I agree the figured ones were not my scene. My figured 175 is a stunning quilt. The 175 kind of motley. The plain 275 red looked way better but is plain.

I did not get to play a 175 through the de Ville so I am a bit cautious. What s beast if an amp, I may have to go back.

User Info Menu

Help. I cannot stop thinking about how easy the es275 was to play and the clarity and time. My 175 I am 95pc happy with just the neck is a bit fat. My 175 is so pretty especially compared to the finishes of the 275 but it would have to go. I would love to hear some more recordings

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gggomez
    Help. I cannot stop thinking about how easy the es275 was to play and the clarity and time. My 175 I am 95pc happy with just the neck is a bit fat. My 175 is so pretty especially compared to the finishes of the 275 but it would have to go. I would love to hear some more recordings

You have the GAS. You know there's only one cure......

User Info Menu

Our currency has dropped nearly 10% in 2 weeks. Decided to keep my $$$ to fund attending Aebersold Jazz Week or NYC Jazz week intensive next year.

User Info Menu

I had been looking for a good archtop for a several years. Last summer on a trip up north I tried out two ES-175s, a 1958 and 1963. The neck on the 1958 was too chunky, but the 1963 felt great. Only problem was the $8K they wanted for it. When I got back home I went to one of my local stores and saw a new Gibson ES-275 sunburst. Played it for about an hour. Just couldn't put it down. The neck and action just fit. Loved the sunburst. The owner checked with his supplier and offered it to me at a fantastic price. I don't know how he made any money on the deal, but I bought it. Didn't even ask my wife. Changed out the strings to D'Addario light gauge flat wounds and added a Gibson strap button. I play it every day and never look back.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wendelin
    When I got back home I went to one of my local stores and saw a new Gibson ES-275 sunburst. Played it for about an hour. Just couldn't put it down. The neck and action just fit. Loved the sunburst. The owner checked with his supplier and offered it to me at a fantastic price. I don't know how he made any money on the deal, but I bought it. Didn't even ask my wife. Changed out the strings to D'Addario light gauge flat wounds and added a Gibson strap button. I play it every day and never look back.
    What gauge are those strings?

User Info Menu

Who knows? Maybe Joe Bonamassa got one with a real ebony fretboard if Gibson made one just for him.

Setting the cat amongst the pigeons...

Me? I just wish they'd use dark indian rosewood fretboards for the entire series.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 07-14-2017 at 03:40 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Who knows? Maybe Joe Bonamassa got one with a real ebony fretboard if Gibson made one just for him.

Me? I just wish they'd use dark indian rosewood fretboards for the entire series.
    One of these? (Not really dark, but at least rosewood)

User Info Menu

What gauge are those strings?
    My strings are D'Addario ECG24 Chromes Flat Wound, Jazz Light, 11-50.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky

Maybe I'm just slow, but I feel no substantive difference between my 275's Richlite fretboard and ebony fretboards on other guitars I've owned / played. That said, I would like one with a rosewood board too. And P90s. So...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    One of these? (Not really dark, but at least rosewood)

Beautiful ....

2" thick lam electric archtop with a bit more neck access
    What's not to like ?

Anyone here put a wood saddle on one of these yet ?
    I dig the faded cherry

will these go loud without feedback issues ?

User Info Menu

Fo those who choose one of the negative responses (or have a different negative response), how about the reason(s)?

And I don't mean, "I don't need another guitar that fills xxx niche." I mean specifically, and ESPECIALLY if you owned one, what don't you like about it?

The sound? The size? The neck? The overall feel? Or is it a more cosmetic/superficial criticism? (Which is fine of course.)

Perhaps I am seeing this guitar differently than others. More as a guitar for someone who want a slim little jazz semi that sounds more like an archtop.
    Pretty guitar, but I do not want a pinned bridge on an archtop.

User Info Menu

Mine will be here Monday.......excited and nervous!

User Info Menu

Check the truss rod. Mine wouldn't tighten any more, and the neck had too much relief. The nut was only half on. I sent it back. Too bad, I really liked my cherry one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bob77362
    Check the truss rod. Mine wouldn't tighten any more, and the neck had too much relief. The nut was only half on. I sent it back. Too bad, I really liked my cherry one.
    Were they not able or willing to address the problems?

I had spoken to Geoff and had mentioned to him that some of the guys had mentioned truss rod issues and he said that he did recall one that was sent back. He said they put a drop of oil down there and everything was taken care of. I really don't know much about construction of guitars which is why I'm asking. Lol, my NGD post will pose a question......WHat do i look for! lol

User Info Menu

CME has great customer service. It was better to just return it for a full refund. It's too bad because it was a nice guitar other than the truss rod. I could have asked for another, but I'm 0 for 2 on these 275's. My first one was the fancier one, and it had a couple of serious finish flaws. I do have a CME 335 that is a keeper, although it did have some minor issues, all "livable" for what I paid.
    The rod in this 275 loosened, and re-tightened freely, but hit a hard stop before getting to reasonable relief points along the neck. I knew something was not right when the nut was only halfway on at this fully tightened point. I didn't try oiling it because it did loosen and tighten freely. Since it was covered under the return policy, I thought "why deal with it"?
    Those CME deals were incredible, and many have benefited, including me. Just please check your rod!

Attachment 49824

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    Were they not able or willing to address the problems?

I had spoken to Geoff and had mentioned to him that some of the guys had mentioned truss rod issues and he said that he did recall one that was sent back. He said they put a drop of oil down there and everything was taken care of. I really don't know much about construction of guitars which is why I'm asking. Lol, my NGD post will pose a question......WHat do i look for! lol
    You want to avoid people who drop oil “down there”.

A truss rod is a VERY low speed surface bearing.

Oil is for higher speed situations.

Oil can run where it is not supposed to, and make a mess.

A truss rod nut VERY often benefits from a very thick grease extremely sparingly applied to the threads and bottom surface of the nut.

A very useful truss rod nut lube is the Stewmac “guitar grease”. It is marketed for nut slots, but a great solution here as well. A very little bit does the job.

A number of things can go wrong with the action of tightening the nut on a truss rod. Really do not start dropping oil “down there”.

With all the reported (not necessarily accurate) Gibson truss rod troubles, a reasonable test of the rod is possibly a good idea.

- Check the existing neck and loosen the nut if needed to proiviude a bit too much relief.

- Now tighten as much as 1/4 turn to reduce the relief.

- Tighten slighty more if needed to completely remove all relief.

- Losen to your desired relief.

If all this works with out odd binding, bottoming-out, or other mechanical troubles, that is a good sign.

Now check that the nut is engaged well onto the steel rod. It is usually OK if the road does not come completely up through the top of the nut, but it should be pretty close to the top of the nut. Halfway down the nut is a potential problem with striping the nut someday.

All in my opinion.

Chris

User Info Menu

The 275 I played was bright and shrill both acoustically and electrically. Not to say that a good player couldn't get a good sound out of one but to me , all the gibson guitars have a hierarchy/ancestry and when you play through the product line of:

SG -> Les Paul -> 339 -> 335 -> 175 -> L5

There is a logical progression and sense of symmetry and harmony. I did not find that in the 275. That's not necessarily a horrible thing but I felt that it did not react in the same way in terms of attack, note bloom, sustain and decay as the stalwarts of the gibson line and as someone who has played for 45+ years, it's just the way I hear things and the 275 just didn't do that for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    The 275 I played was bright and shrill both acoustically and electrically. Not to say that a good player couldn't get a good sound out of one but to me , all the gibson guitars have a hierarchy/ancestry and when you play through the product line of:

SG -> Les Paul -> 339 -> 335 -> 175 -> L5

There is a logical progression and sense of symmetry and harmony. I did not find that in the 275. That's not necessarily a horrible thing but I felt that it did not react in the same way in terms of attack, note bloom, sustain and decay as the stalwarts of the gibson line and as someone who has played for 45+ years, it's just the way I hear things and the 275 just didn't do that for me.
    Ouch!

I guess I will find out Monday. Well whether I love it or hate it, at these prices I don't see myself losing money on it. If it the sound and playability hits me half as much as the looks on these then I may be happy.

User Info Menu

To each his own. I actually like the 275. I thought it played well, and thought it had a less midrange'y sound than my 335. The MHS pickups sounded clear and toneful, if that's a word, than the burstbuckers in my standard 335. I did lower the neck pickup so it was only about an 1/8" out of the surround. The poles were almost flush. The bridge was a bit too high, so i adjusted it to be slightly louder than the neck, for balance. Same with the poles.
    I enjoyed playing it unplugged too. It's louder than my 335 and 330L. I did put a few O-rings in the space between the bridge and tail to stop the harmonic ringing, which did not come through amplified. I had a Howe 175, and for what I enjoy playing, I like the 275 more. It's not going to get than big box sound, but it's supposed to be something different. I think most 275 buyers really like them. Enjoy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bob77362
    TIt's not going to get than big box sound, but it's supposed to be something different. I think most 275 buyers really like them. Enjoy.
    Agreed, and comparing it to a 339 and 335, I wasn't expecting a big-box sound. I was expecting the warmth and note bloom of it's cousins and IMO, it didn't have it. Again, I'm not saying it's a bad guitar. If you're looking for something different than the other gibsons in terms of the attributes I described, that's fine. I just didn't feel it had what *I* was looking for. YMMV.